Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your vintage patterns!

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Here are a few from a mainly 40s lot I won last week for quite a good price.

Advance1241.jpg
Advance2996.jpg
Advance2215.jpg

Advance4005-2.jpg
Advance2776.jpg
Advance3029.jpg

The first pattern Im really excited about. I have fabric already that I think will work great for the 30s design.

Im also excited about the mens undies. Im gonna turn them into jim jam bottoms for myself!

LD

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
Miss Emelina and Lady Day- Love your patterns. I really want some late 30's patterns. I think I am worried they will be too difficult for me. But I have seen so many amazing patterns.

JupitersDarling

One of the Regulars
Just got 2 patterns from momspatterns:
s3172.jpg

I am thrilled about this one because I found a bag of several wools for $5 at the habitat thrift shop last week. I immediately thought of these two for this pattern, assuming I have enough yardage get the plaid to match up on the jacket. They are perfectly coordinating colorways!- what do you think? Would the plaid be too 70's?

set.jpg

Inky

One Too Many
I love them both and if you don't have enough plaid for the jacket, I think the skirt would look smart in the plaid too. I could see the plaid jacket with a self-covered button in the solid blue. It's terrific and what a steal for the price. Please do show us how it turns out!

ShoreRoadLady

Practically Family
I think the combo works perfectly, JupitersDarling. Vintage Betty has good tips on the buttons. Any extra little details like hand-worked buttonholes or bound buttonholes would be great, too.

I've noticed that I don't like certain types of garments when they're not worn with a vintage flair. For instance, certain types of dresses or suit jackets from the '40s remind me heavily of the '80s, but because they're paired with a genuine '40s look, I think the effect is lovely. If the wearer had poufy permed '80s hair and neon accessories, I'd probably be more inclined to dislike the garment.

mentha

Familiar Face
Question in vintage sizes...

Hello Ladies!

I got to borrow a few 1950's pattern magazines from my mother-in-law so copy the patterns I want to use. They're from the Dutch magazine Marion, years 1953, 1954 and 1957. Marion was a magazine where many patterns were shown, but most would have to be ordered. Some of the outfits were added in the magazine, but only certain sizes (Dutch sizes). Now I've read that sizing has changed quite a bit since then, so I was wondering, if I'm a size 40 now (Dutch size, I think the US equivalent is 12, correct me if I'm wrong), I wouldn't fit into a 40 from 1954, right? So there would be some major altering going on, if not completely redrafting the pattern pieces?
Another question. As these patterns are borrowed, I will have to return them. As I don't have the time to transfer everything, would it be an idea, to take the very old pattern pages to a copy-shop to have them copied? I figured not only would I be able to preserve the patterns, but I'd also have them in my own stash to work with whenever I want. I'm just slightly worried the paper wouldn't survive the bright copy-lights...

If anyone has any thoughts on this, I'd love to hear them :)

Cheers, Mentha

Sunny

One Too Many
MissAmelina said:
First patterns of 2009! :)

I am excited about the nice and simple looking dress. I think it'll be a good first "pleats and godets" project.

mccall9624.jpg
Ah HA! You're the one who snagged it! That was one of three I requested from Woodland - but you got to it first! :D I can't wait to see it made up. *hint hint*

Sunny

One Too Many
This is one of the two I still managed to get.

wpt30sff24256mccall9577.jpg

I'm mad for bodices with back pleats at the moment. I really love the seaming detail on this one, though, and the contrast piping makes it all show up. Crazy yoke and collar, too, and I love the short sleeves.

I got this from another site, for (relatively) cheap because it's missing the envelope. Has anyone used Pictograph patterns before?

151_pd1771920_1.jpg

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Inky said:
I love them both and if you don't have enough plaid for the jacket, I think the skirt would look smart in the plaid too. I could see the plaid jacket with a self-covered button in the solid blue. It's terrific and what a steal for the price. Please do show us how it turns out!

Here's another option for the plaid jacket: Feraud posted this pic in the Display Case.

If you don't have enough plaid material, I was thinking that solid arms with a plaid body would also be period-appropriate. While this is a sweater, I am using it to show one option of what would work:

DSC06690.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou