Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your vintage patterns!

JupitersDarling

One of the Regulars
ShoreRoadLady said:
I think the combo works perfectly, JupitersDarling. Vintage Betty has good tips on the buttons. Any extra little details like hand-worked buttonholes or bound buttonholes would be great, too.

Thank you so much for your thoughts on the fabric everyone! I'm gonna check and see if I have yardage for the plaid in the jacket, otherwise I will use it for the skirt. I love the idea of contrasting buttons!

anabolina

A-List Customer
ShoreRoadLady said:
Love the pockets! I may have to steal the idea and put them on something of my own. :)

Ditto: Those pockets are really interesting.

ETA: You are are ust WAY too inspirational. This is what I went out and got yesterday.

8fc5_1.JPG

and

4995_1.JPG

Now I didn't win this one and it ended up selling for $81.00. Way out of my league/ price range for a sewing pattern. I'd have been scared to take it out of the sleeve.

dsp_butterick_7461_002.jpg

Vanessa

One Too Many
anabolina said:
Now I didn't win this one and it ended up selling for $81.00. Way out of my league/ price range for a sewing pattern. I'd have been scared to take it out of the sleeve.

dsp_butterick_7461_002.jpg

That one went for $81?

Sweet. I've got that one in the stash somewhere.

laurakitty

Familiar Face
This thread is going to be the death of me! I promised my boyfriend that I wouldn't buy anymore patterns until I took some more sewing classes (to make my more work more professional), but looking at all of your beautiful patterns I am so overcome with jealousy! I just went on Ebay and went through everything and I need to buy!!! I don't know how I will resist.

Maybe I will just have them sent to my office instead of the house...

Sickofitcindy

One of the Regulars
laurakitty said:
This thread is going to be the death of me! I promised my boyfriend that I wouldn't buy anymore patterns until I took some more sewing classes (to make my more work more professional), but looking at all of your beautiful patterns I am so overcome with jealousy! I just went on Ebay and went through everything and I need to buy!!! I don't know how I will resist.

Maybe I will just have them sent to my office instead of the house...
Hi Laura, I'm a Brooklyner having her patterns sent to work too. Maybe it's contagious!

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
I love the neckline on this. I've already started making it, but messed up the sleeves BIG TIME and Hancock's doesn't have any more of the fabric.
3191634679_86d1abb929.jpg

VintageRed

Familiar Face
My first pattern!

I just won my first true vintage pattern on the bay. I'm so excited; I can't wait for it to get here so I can get started.

In regards to the buttons, I guess I should hunt down vintage buttons as well, eh? Is there a thread about good repro fabrics or the best prints and things to use so it looks right for the era? Muted colors and tones, that sort of thing? I'm shooting for a late 30's, 40's look....

Here's the pattern:

n1059901857_280458_7567.jpg

What do you think?

~D.

Inky

One Too Many
I am loving all the new patterns everyone is posting! I lucked out at a local antique mall with this unused and complete Sears Superior dress pattern for a whopping $4!

3145314279_a188e0c4f5.jpg

And in my search for some nice, classic, basic pieces, I picked up this 1940 McCall's pattern for a good price as well. I hope to head out to the fabric store to try to score some nice wool for this:

3194762250_8c13c922f4.jpg

Now I hope I can set out my sewing machine without my new kitten trying to "help" too much!

retrogirl1941

One Too Many
Inky said:
Butterick has a 1948 repro pattern available for a dressing gown:

http://www.butterick.com/item/B5152.htm?search=retro&page=1

have you tried ebay or one of the vintage pattern sellers?

Could that style be somewhat appropraite for a hostess dress too? I have that one and was thinking about using it. I just need something to recieve vistors in during the day without getting dressed.lol

Samantha

MissAmelina

A-List Customer
Well, the hubby just informed me that we are meeting his folks in Florida the end of March (which will be such as blessing as this pacific northwest cold and wet is starting to get to me already) and I thought...Well, Shoot! I am gonna need to make a sailor dress for that occasion! And found this little doo-dad on ebay for 7 bucks.

culotte.jpg

It's culottes! Which is a great garment to wear when the humidity is awful....keeps the thighs from chafing! :)

(And when I looked up the spelling of "chafing" I discovered it is a nautical term...how fitting is that?)

Inky

One Too Many
retrogirl1941, I don't think that would be appropriate to wear if someone came over. I mean for me, I'd feel uncomfortable in my robe. What about just a day dress in cotton (with a sweater for these cold days) or something like that to change into after you get up in the morning? I'm guessing you want to be dressing vintage all the time - I put on my sweats, but I am no purist.

Sunny

One Too Many
MissAmelina said:
It's culottes! Which is a great garment to wear when the humidity is awful....keeps the thighs from chafing! :)

(And when I looked up the spelling of "chafing" I discovered it is a nautical term...how fitting is that?)

Cute! Definitely cotton - or maybe linen! (And what's the nautical definition for chafing? *is a slight nautical nerd*)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff