Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your vintage patterns!

wahine

Practically Family
Thanks for your congrats, ladies! Makes me enjoy it even more! :eek:
Some of the pattern cards have been cut out, but they are kept in a little pocket in the back of the book. I love the idea that my aunt's aunt (that's where the book originally came from) made the dresses and wore them. I wonder if I see one in an old photograph one day...

I had an offer for a pdf as well. But since it's for a different edition (1954) I'm not so sure about the printing. If you print it a 10th of an inch too small or too big, the pattern will be useless. And the different editions aren't in the exact same size as I noticed now that I have two editions (they differ a few millimeters).

So, a pdf (or any other scanned format) only makes sense if you have very accurate printing instructions. The best would be if there is a measure on the scan itself.

Last edited:

moonmatrix

Familiar Face
I found a seller on etsy who has amazing vintage patterns, no affiliation to me whatsoever. I am not sure if I am allowed to post a link to her. Her prices are insanely low. If I am allowed to post a link please let me know. The pattern sizes are too small for me and I would love to see other loungers be able to get them.

HepKitty

One Too Many
Thanks all! I hoped you would be happy for me (my auntie couldn't really understand why I was so happy about it).

@HepKitty: Sure, but there really not so easy to get unless money is no issue for you. Often, they go up to about 100 Euro (about 140$) if they come with the special measure that you need. Without the measure, you might be lucky to get one for maybe 40 Euro plus shipping, but that needs patience. I could make a copy of the measure for you easily. Right now, there is a 1941 edition in ebay Germany for 65 Euro, with copied measure (article No. 200520763509) and one of around 1950 for 50 Euro, seemingly without measure (art.no.270656866155 or look for "Lutterloh"- if you need any help with translations of the descriptions, just ask)
But until then - if there is a certain pattern you are interested in, I could make scans for you and mail them. ;)

lol And since I'm not exactly made of money... I'd worship the ground you walk on for a copy of the black & white dress pattern, the one with the bow & buttons in the back :) and I'd make copies of my patterns in exchange of course. Vielen vielen Dank!

wahine

Practically Family
... I'd worship the ground you walk on for a copy of the black & white dress pattern, the one with the bow & buttons in the back :) and I'd make copies of my patterns in exchange of course. Vielen vielen Dank!
Hepkitty, no reason for worshipping! I'd be happy to do you a favor
(and a little happier if you really make some copies for me :)
I just wonder - does it make sense if my size differs a lot from yours?)

Just do be sure: this is the one you want, right?

FYI: You should know that these patterns don't come with very detailed information on how to sew the thing. It just gives the pattern and that's it. Sometimes, you even have to make up details like ruches and such for yourself. The patterns were made for ladies who knew how to sew anyway. If you have no clue how and where to put buttons or a zipper - you might have a hard time on some of the patterns :( But I really don't want to discourage you - I managed my first Golden Rule dress pretty well without knowing much about sewing. A total sewing newbie might have to look for some help, though.

moonmatrix

Familiar Face
My mother just found at a local charity/ church shop about 27 - 30 vintage sewing patterns. 30's - 50's. Oh the fun to be had with these. I have yet to see them in person but she said some are uncut. I will get pics as soon as possible and post them online.

HepKitty

One Too Many
Hepkitty, no reason for worshipping! I'd be happy to do you a favor
(and a little happier if you really make some copies for me :)
I just wonder - does it make sense if my size differs a lot from yours?)

Just do be sure: this is the one you want, right?

FYI: You should know that these patterns don't come with very detailed information on how to sew the thing. It just gives the pattern and that's it. Sometimes, you even have to make up details like ruches and such for yourself. The patterns were made for ladies who knew how to sew anyway. If you have no clue how and where to put buttons or a zipper - you might have a hard time on some of the patterns :( But I really don't want to discourage you - I managed my first Golden Rule dress pretty well without knowing much about sewing. A total sewing newbie might have to look for some help, though.

Yep, that's it! Wahine you're the best, thank you so much! :)

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
That two tone one is really cute!

I lost out on vintage Vogue and Harpers Bazaar magazines I was after, but I bought a consolation prize. I want to make up the suit in a nice wool for winter. I love the idea of velvet cuffs and I have some brown cotton velvet I just found in the stash of doom that should just be enough :D
8488.jpg

4296.jpg

6920.jpg

wahine

Practically Family
Lauren, they are really cute, especially the first two. I love that bolero look, it will look great on you.
Do you ladies think this kind of dress is wearable for a girl with a not so tiny waist (talking of myself, not of Lauren of course)?
In all the pictures it's always worn by those sand glass types - what if bust and waist differ only by 5 inches or so?

Jools

New in Town
I just got a cool 1940s (I think it's 1940s) suit pattern; size 16. (which is quite different from a modern 16- it says "36" bust." "Double Breasted Suit- wide revers, slim skirt. You'll adore it- the elegant suit with flattering lines. Jacket has the new rounded hip look, sports long cuffed sleeves, significant lapels. Skirt is arrow slim."

What's interesting is that they show one suit with contrasting collar and a fur stole, the other is plain. Now, if I can only get my mom to sew it for me...

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
I just got a cool 1940s (I think it's 1940s) suit pattern; size 16. (which is quite different from a modern 16- it says "36" bust." "Double Breasted Suit- wide revers, slim skirt. You'll adore it- the elegant suit with flattering lines. Jacket has the new rounded hip look, sports long cuffed sleeves, significant lapels. Skirt is arrow slim."

What's interesting is that they show one suit with contrasting collar and a fur stole, the other is plain. Now, if I can only get my mom to sew it for me...
Sounds adorable. Based on the size it sounds like late 50's to me. A 16 in 1940's pattern sizes is a 34. bust. I'd love to see a picture.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails