Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your vintage patterns!

angeljenny

A-List Customer
Learning to make clothes is something I really want to do! It is so hard to find clothes I like in shops.

There are some really pretty 50's patterns on eBay but most of the sizes are teeny tiny! Although in one of my old books there is an ideal weight / measurements chart which would fit with that.

I might start with an apron maybe. I have no sewing skills whatsoever!

Drappa

One Too Many
ad6177.jpg

shazzabanazza

Practically Family
S4893A.jpg
[/IMG]

I got this pattern today from my husbands Nana. I really like the bodice on it. When I make this pattern, Im going to do a fitted skirt instead of the full skirt, I thought that way it might resemble this pattern:
143704273_full-1.jpg
[/IMG]

which I was outbidded on some months ago :mad: :lol:

miserabelle

One of the Regulars
Can anyone recommend a pattern for a ladies' pinafore dress? I want to be Dorothy for my birthday, but I don't think I have anything suitable in my pattern collection :) x

I Adore Film Noir

A-List Customer
S4893A.jpg
[/IMG]

I got this pattern today from my husbands Nana. I really like the bodice on it. When I make this pattern, Im going to do a fitted skirt instead of the full skirt, I thought that way it might resemble this pattern:
143704273_full-1.jpg
[/IMG]

which I was outbidded on some months ago :mad: :lol:

You've got your scallops, yay!

Amie

One of the Regulars
I've been looking through vintage patterns so much lately, I don't even know what's good anymore, what styles I truly like, etc. One thing that's been bugging me is that often I find sellers who say "I cannot guarantee the pattern is complete." Unless it's factory folded, in which case I can understand the seller might not want to go through the pattern---though most likely if it's factory folded, it probably complete---but otherwise, what is so difficult about going through your patterns? Anyone else bothered by this?

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Its mostly just talk.
Even if they say the pattern is complete, and they have gone through them Ive found patterns that are incomplete. It often depends on what piece is missing for me to complain about it, especially if they say the pattern is complete.

If thats the case, and 1)its missing a piece, 2) its a major piece, Ill tell the seller. Most of the time I get a partial refund to a complete refund and I get to keep the pattern.

If they dont guarantee the complete pattern, I take that listing with a grain of salt. If I paid $30 for the pattern it sure as heckfire better be complete. I returned a 'non return' pattern I paid $35 for because the belt was missing. I could have made up the belt piece, but that was a big chunk of change and I wanted a complete pattern, and they said it was complete. They took it back.

I guess a good rule is if they say 'dont know if its complete' then they mean it, so dont go paying overboard for that listing. But if its a high price listing, then they BETTER know what pieces are there. And that whole 'I didnt check the pieces because the paper is so delicate' is a bunch of BS. That just translates to lazy.

LD

Amie

One of the Regulars
And that whole 'I didnt check the pieces because the paper is so delicate' is a bunch of BS. That just translates to lazy.

LD

:eusa_clap

Btw, thank goodness you got your refund. $35 and a missing piece. Oh that is definitely a no no.

BettyMaraschino

Familiar Face
I have one of the Vintage Vogue patterns in duplicate. ( http://voguepatterns.mccall.com/v2960-products-8312.php?page_id=850 )
Its the UK size 12 - 18. Brand new, never even opened the packet.
My mother mail ordered 4 Vintage Vogue patterns for me for my birthday and they sent out an extra of this one. When we informed them, they said we could keep it with no charge as it was their mistake. :)
So if one of you ladies has use for it please PM me.

Not sure if this is really the right place to post this. If its not then I do apologize.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Its mostly just talk.
Even if they say the pattern is complete, and they have gone through them Ive found patterns that are incomplete. It often depends on what piece is missing for me to complain about it, especially if they say the pattern is complete.

If thats the case, and 1)its missing a piece, 2) its a major piece, Ill tell the seller. Most of the time I get a partial refund to a complete refund and I get to keep the pattern.

If they dont guarantee the complete pattern, I take that listing with a grain of salt. If I paid $30 for the pattern it sure as heckfire better be complete. I returned a 'non return' pattern I paid $35 for because the belt was missing. I could have made up the belt piece, but that was a big chunk of change and I wanted a complete pattern, and they said it was complete. They took it back.

I guess a good rule is if they say 'dont know if its complete' then they mean it, so dont go paying overboard for that listing. But if its a high price listing, then they BETTER know what pieces are there. And that whole 'I didnt check the pieces because the paper is so delicate' is a bunch of BS. That just translates to lazy.

LD

I agree for the most part. Some patterns I've gotten have been super delicate and nearly flake off when you try to unfold them. Mostly due to very bad storage. But if a pattern was in that bad of shape I wouldn't buy it anyways. It's just that it does take time to go through patterns and it is kind of a pain in the butt. And I think a lot of people have no idea how much old patterns are worth or that there's even a market for them, or else they actually would go through them.
I have bid on patterns that weren't checked. Most of the time they're there, sometimes they're not- but if I bid on a pattern that might be missing pieces I make sure it's something stellar that I wouldn't mind having to redraft off the back if something's missing. When I first got into buying patterns pretty much no one would check for pieces. Now it's almost required! But the prices are at least 4x (and sometimes at least 10x!) as much, too.
I recently bought a pattern that they said was in FF and it was NOT and was altered. But I wanted it so made do. But I also bought some great NRA patterns that they said they didn't check but I could tell they were probably FF and they were :) It's just kind of a gamble, just like most online purchases of vintage things.
Best bet just to buy patterns that are checked and complete.

Last edited:

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
I have one of the Vintage Vogue patterns in duplicate. ( http://voguepatterns.mccall.com/v2960-products-8312.php?page_id=850 )
Its the UK size 12 - 18. Brand new, never even opened the packet.
My mother mail ordered 4 Vintage Vogue patterns for me for my birthday and they sent out an extra of this one. When we informed them, they said we could keep it with no charge as it was their mistake. :)
So if one of you ladies has use for it please PM me.

Not sure if this is really the right place to post this. If its not then I do apologize.

You can post in classifieds, too :)

angeljenny

A-List Customer
Can anyone recommend a pattern for a ladies' pinafore dress? I want to be Dorothy for my birthday, but I don't think I have anything suitable in my pattern collection :) x

I haven't made it yet but I have Simplicity 3673 which is a 1950's style pinafore which looks cute and hopefully quite simple. I have wanted a full skirted pinafore dress for years!

Oh and looking through the Simplicity pattern book in a shop today I saw a Wizard of Oz pattern with a Dorothy dress in it. I think it had a witch pattern in it too.

angeljenny

A-List Customer
Bought my first vintage pattern!

stuff003.jpg

It says "quick and easy" so I am hoping it is. Just need to figure out where to get some lovely fabric from now!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80