Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your vintage patterns!

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
kymeratale said:
Hello ladies,

A friend sent me a link to www.sovintagepatterns.com after I was talking about learning to sew so I could make myself vintage stuff. I have been following this thread (amongst others) to start learning some of this stuff. I had a look at the site and I am wondering how their prices compare to other places, auctions, etc. They seem a little bit high based on what I have read here. So, those of you who know way more about this than I do, how are their prices?
They're prices are pretty high. HOWEVER, they do have some of the more unusual patterns. If I fall in love with a pattern there, I will spend some time trying to find it from other sources. If I can't find it, I'll bookmark it and think on it for a week or so. Generally, something turns up that is similar enough at a much better price. So far, I haven't purchased anything from them. My favorite source is still eBay. Yes, it can be competitive, but you'll also find gems where the seller doesn't know what he has and lists it for $0.99 or you just happen to be the only bidder. Only you know what your budget can allow, but I think long and hard about any pattern over $20.

jetgirl

One of the Regulars
Miss 1929 said:
Sign me up for one! I love the whole thing, the shoulder seams, the trim... yummy. Picture it in green and white plaid on the diagonal, with white organdie ruffles!!!!!

that sounds so adorable.

jetgirl

One of the Regulars
kamikat said:
They're prices are pretty high. HOWEVER, they do have some of the more unusual patterns. If I fall in love with a pattern there, I will spend some time trying to find it from other sources. If I can't find it, I'll bookmark it and think on it for a week or so. Generally, something turns up that is similar enough at a much better price. So far, I haven't purchased anything from them. My favorite source is still eBay. Yes, it can be competitive, but you'll also find gems where the seller doesn't know what he has and lists it for $0.99 or you just happen to be the only bidder. Only you know what your budget can allow, but I think long and hard about any pattern over $20.

I do the same thing. It's fun to look there though!

swingkitten85

Familiar Face
These are coming my way (can't wait to get them!):

mccall_4906.jpg

I've been wanting a fitted blazer for some time like this. I have plenty of skirt patterns that would go well--eventually I'll make a suit!

il_fullxfull122074678.jpg

This one was a bit of an impulse buy, but I really like the dress version with the tucks. :)

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
Lauren said:
Love the patterns everyone has been finding! :eusa_clap

I'd been looking for this one for a while. Finally found a copy! :D
simplicity3081.GIF

I did a search and couldn't find anyone reproing this one yet... anyone know if I'm mistaken? [huh]

I have been looking for that pattern for a while also. I just love it.

These are my recent purchases and I am quite happy with them.

Advance2352-247.jpg

I am hoping this wont make my but look huge.

!Bk8SimQCGk~$(KGrHqUH-DEEtgvoFbePBLZk8tLCbQ~~_3.JPG

I love the short sleeves on this on but I am worried they will be hard to grade up.

Advance9240-237.jpg

This is not my usual style but I really liked it.

785b_3.JPG

SayCici

Practically Family
Lauren, I'd definitely buy a repro of that pattern from you for that jumper on the left!!

DPD, the third one reminds me of Star Trek, haha, I like it!

I won this a few nights ago for under $5 incl. shipping (in a size up, this image is from the Vintage Pattern wiki):
M8796.jpg

23SkidooWithYou

Practically Family
SayCici...I LOVE it! My vintage interest started with an eye for the 20/30's but I fell in love with the 50's. I can't look at a fitted bodice and full skirt without smiling. The split cuff on the sleeve is really nice. Post pics when you finish, okay?

DPD...That 3/4 sleeve 50/60's pattern is awesome! It's what I'd call a "jewelry dress", perfect for showcasing brooches and braceletes!

My Nightgown pattern came and my Jumper/Blouse. I'm still roaring to get at the nightgown, but I did listen to advice to perhaps work on something non-garment as a starting point. I'm looking at simple apron patterns but haven't fallen for one yet. I did see this and decided it was kinda cool and really wearable come summer. (With my luck it will be 10 times more complicated than the nighty! LOL) If it turns out, I would love to make them as birthday gifts for my cousins.

!BlFpbi!BGk~$(KGrHqEH-CMEs82!7kJoBL,MU1PQTw~~_3.JPG

swingkitten85

Familiar Face
SayCici said:
Lauren, I'd definitely buy a repro of that pattern from you for that jumper on the left!!

DPD, the third one reminds me of Star Trek, haha, I like it!

I won this a few nights ago for under $5 incl. shipping (in a size up, this image is from the Vintage Pattern wiki):
M8796.jpg

So cute!!! :D I second your motion that if Lauren repro's that one pattern, I'd buy one too!!! :D haha!

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Fun! Love that little pattern Cici! The hats are two cute for words, 23Skidoo. And Casey, I adore the jacket pattern especially!

I'm absolutely giddy about these two 30s patterns I bought today!! :D
vogues1.jpg
vogues2.jpg

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Lady Day said:

Turns out this one isnt simply missing instructions, but the whole back piece of the jacket as well. Im kinda pissed because it was advertised as complete. I contacted the seller, we will see what happens.

LD

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
This one came in the mail yesterday.

2942.jpg

Okay, there seems to be a glut of slip, and undies patterns around lol. I have a slip and panties from the 20s, two from the 30s, and two from the 40s :eusa_doh:

Im done with slips, truthfully. And if I see that Simplicity slip floating around one more time...:rage:

LD

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Ditto, GG. It doesn't stop me looking but it stops me buying, and that's the main thing!

I honestly don't know where you ladies find the time to make so many things. I find I seem to have about three minutes a day where I'm not doing something else that really is more important than sewing!!!

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Miss Sis said:
Ditto, GG. It doesn't stop me looking but it stops me buying, and that's the main thing!

I honestly don't know where you ladies find the time to make so many things. I find I seem to have about three minutes a day where I'm not doing something else that really is more important than sewing!!!

It's a scary pattern addiction! Oh my... I probably will never sew all the things I want to, but it won't keep me from trying! lol
I guess you choose your battles. I'll sew something in lieu of tidying house, much to my husband's dismay, then play "pick up the pieces" all in a rush and be bummed I'm not sewing! I actually haven't actually sewn anything in probably three days and that's some kind of record. Oh wait, I repaired a skirt the night before last, so scratch that. lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran