Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your waistcoats/Vests?

JonnyO

A-List Customer
Outside of ebay and the mens wear store around, where is a good place to find waistcoats, specifically ones with lapels?

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
There's an Old West clothing site that sells lots of lapeled waistcoats, as well as other old-timey clothing. I can't vouch for the quality, though. And I don't have a link because I'm writing this on a different computer that doesn't have the link stored. Does this site ring a bell with anyone?

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
There is another website like that called...Gentleman's Emporium or something. You could look there as well. Lapelled waistcoats are pretty rare these days, aren't they? I've never seen any being sold as new. Only vintage/antique reproductions.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I navigated to Gentleman's Emporium vests page, and clicked on a waistcoat that looked suspiciously like one on the Western Emporium site, and they were exactly the same. I guess that should come as no surprise when both sites are called 'Emporium.'

_tone

New in Town
Orvis sells some lapelled waistcoats in a variety of flavours, mostly tweedy. i have one and really like it. the quality is i think superior to the sites you mentioned, although they have a tendency to run a bit on the generous side.

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
I have several vests from Gentlemen's emporium. The quality of their stuff varies. If you stick to the 100% natural fiber stuff, it can be excellent. Even the polyester stuff isn't terrible, it's just, well, polyester. I have a polyester vest from them that's actually fairly decent, but a 100% silk one would be nicer. Their service is quite good too, and they ship very promptly. Their website is a dangerous place for me...I could spend thousands on there if I let myself O_O;

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family

wdw

One Too Many
where is a good place to find waistcoats, specifically ones with lapels?

I bought one recently from Walker Slater in Edinburgh, who specialize in tweedy, traditional clothing. They have a good website. Sorry but I can't do a link on my tablet.

RBH

Bartender
There's an Old West clothing site that sells lots of lapeled waistcoats, as well as other old-timey clothing. I can't vouch for the quality, though. And I don't have a link because I'm writing this on a different computer that doesn't have the link stored. Does this site ring a bell with anyone?

Wild West Mercantile carries a great many types of vest.
Wah Maker has some great styles as well as Frontier Classics..
Check them out.

http://www.wwmerc.com/cgi-bin/Category.cgi?category=3120&type=store

http://www.wwmerc.com/cgi-bin/Category.cgi?category=3920&type=store

Nyah

One of the Regulars
I want a waistcoat. The problem is that the thriftshops which used to have them, don't seem to anymore. I tried splurging on a premium, wool-all-over waistcoat from Johnson Woollen Mills but, those only go down to size 38 (I think I need 34). I want one that has either a belted back or side-adjusters (so Filson is out).

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Two latest additions purchased in the last couple of days.

The first one is a grey pinstriped affair. I wish I didn't have to buy this one, but I used to have another grey pinstriped waistcoat that was devoured by moths. So this one is being purchased as a replacement for the one I no-longer have...

The next one is this five-pocket brown tweed:

Four outer pockets, and one large, inner pocket:

The lining on this one is marked with a few stains, but they don't show through to the outside, so it's perfectly wearable.

dnjan

One Too Many
How wide and deep is that inner pocket? I would love a waistcoat with an inner pocket wide and deep enough to hold airline tickets/boarding passes.

dnjan

One Too Many
Passport I usually keep in my shirt pocket, but I like an inside pocket deep enough so that the ticket, boarding pass, itinerary, etc. aren't sticking out much. I usually keep that in a sportcoat pocket, but sometimes it is just too hot for a sportcoat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112