Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show your natural leather

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
These just arrived. Alternative Country made for Bob Dong. Both base in China.
image1.jpeg

Attachments

• image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    108.6 KB · Views: 1,802
  • image3.jpeg
    image3.jpeg
    87.8 KB · Views: 1,816

Blackadder

Woah! Smoking boots!

Skickat från min iPad med Tapatalk
Must say these are not first rate in terms of workmanship. The eyelets are not spaced evely. Also the tongue is made of cheaper inferior leather but then the tongue is very soft and that makes it more comfortable. Taking into account the retail price, I have no complaint.

regius

Some random technical snippet here, thought it’s interesting to share.

“The use of proteases in the leather and wool industries”
————-//////————-//////—————

The leather industry consumes a significant proportion of the world's enzyme production. Alkaline proteases are used to remove hair from hides. This process is far safer and more pleasant than the traditional methods involving sodium sulfide. Relatively large amounts of enzyme are required (0.1-1.0 % (w/w)) and the process must be closely controlled to avoid reducing the quality of the leather. After dehairing, hides which are to be used for producing soft leather clothing and goods are bated, a process, often involving pancreatic enzymes, that increases their suppleness and improves the softness of their appearance.

Proteases have been used, in the past, to 'shrinkproof' wool. Wool fibres are covered in overlapping scales pointing towards the fibre tip. These give the fibres highly directional frictional properties, movement in the direction away from the tip being favoured relative to movement towards it. This propensity for movement solely in the one direction may lead to shrinkage and many methods have been used in attempts to eliminate the problem (e.g. chemical oxidation or coating the fibres in polymer). A successful method involved the partial hydrolysis of the scale tips with the protease papain. This method also gave the wool a silky lustre and added to its value. The method was abandoned some years ago, primarily for economic reasons. It is not unreasonable to expect its use to be re-established now that cheaper enzyme sources are available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blackadder

Very nice indeed. I have a pair of the Chinese-made Wested Indy boots, which I love. I have long eyed the Thoroughgood boots in this style, but the eak pound against the dollar these days, yeesh. Be intrested to her how you get on with these.
The Thorogood ones are great, softer and lighter than the Alternative Country.

robrinay

One Too Many
Bought this yesterday from an artisan on Cherry Tree Hill Barbados 50 Barbados Dollars ($25 US). Having read here the merits of UV in adding great patina to natural leather - it’s now outside on the hotel balcony in bright sunlight at 28 degrees C. I’ll keep you posted. The first pic is the original colour and the others were taken after an hour on the balcony.
Ps it’s made extra long without holes and designed to be adjusted for the customer who buys it. I declined as I can do that myself at home. I’ll probably shorten it from the buckle end to get rid of the scar where the prong is.

Attachments

• 1ACD572A-1257-4681-8DF1-081AF8B25B28.jpeg
    1ACD572A-1257-4681-8DF1-081AF8B25B28.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1,683
  • 367280BD-19A0-4970-804F-FDCA071F51D2.jpeg
    367280BD-19A0-4970-804F-FDCA071F51D2.jpeg
    89.6 KB · Views: 1,791
  • D932B51D-347A-4BB9-B790-BFC0316F8A24.jpeg
    D932B51D-347A-4BB9-B790-BFC0316F8A24.jpeg
    59.8 KB · Views: 1,806

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
already looks darker, if you get bored, and have some glass bottle with frosted texture (perfume/ aftershave bottle, etc) you can further buff the side, I buffed my belt clip to great result with frosted glass bottle

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points