Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Showdown Review: Aero Custom vs. Langlitz Custom

Foxbat

New in Town
I looked at both Langlitz and Aero when I was considering a custom leather jacket. I spoke with both Aero and Langlitz extensively by email and I felt that the level of customization for both fit and style/features was better with Langlitz. This outweighed in my mind the more attractive hide options that Aero has. As with any clothing item, fit is number one. Either option is serious money so I didn't feel like gambling too much.

I visited Langlitz to be measured and ended spending a couple of hours with Scott discussing the design and fit of the jacket. He was incredibly knowledgeable and patient which was nice given my OCD obsession with attention to detail. There is so much customization available with Langlitz and unfortunately, it is not well conveyed by either their website or their printed materials. Its a shame because if you have something very specific in mind, they can most likely make it happen.

The end result is the best fitting jacket I've owned. I went for a slim cut while retaining a full range of motion which is a challenge yet came out nearly perfect. The dark brown goatskin has become natural in appearance despite my initial fears of it looking plasticky and the brass hard wear has taken a nice patina. It feels very comfortable and I've had many compliments which brings me to one of the main topics of this thread.

There is a bit of an art making a great fitting leather jacket and your chances of getting one are much improved in my mind by being measured by the manufacturer. If your body measurements are very close to the norm, then your lucky, and you most likely can wear something off the rack. Otherwise, it is just too much money to spend with the assumption that your own measurements and guesses about how a certain model of jacket fit will match what you see in your mind's eye.

D

Deleted member 16736

I don't mean to belabor the point, and I like Langlitz customer service very much. However, their goatskin stretches in your hand like silly putty. The cowhide was more stout, but looked highly processed. I'm sure it gives the same protection as any other 4 oz. leather. Just my opinion based on handling samples only. Take it for what it's worth.

tblay

One of the Regulars
My condolences on the passing of your father.

Although I've never owned a Langlitz, I've handled their goatskin and cowhide and found both to be plasticky (this needs to be a real word). For the money, they could source better quality leather. I wanted to go with Langlitz because of their heritage 47 Langlitz model, but not with that leather. They had horsehide, but the tannery they work with isn't making it anymore and they are unwilling to look for another source. So in the meantime, they're off my list. Glad you struck paydirt with the Aero.

Thanks for your sympathies in both regards! I appreciate it.

tblay

One of the Regulars
tblay would it be possible to see pictures of the hidden armpit pocket you referenced?

This is about the best shot I can get of it. For size comparison, I got 7 wine corks in there. IMG_2057.jpg

ForestForTheTrees

One of the Regulars
I've owned my Langlitz jacket for almost eight years now and only wear it while I'm out on my bikes. The jacket features their mid-weight cowhide and I use the Langlitz supplied leather dressing on it at least once every year. I don't do this for looks, although the jacket does not look "plasticky" to my eyes. I do it because it is what Langlitz recommends in the best interest of the jacket as a piece of riding apparel. It also seems to make it easier to clean the dead bugs off of the hide when needed. Given the length of time they've been in business, and the thoroughness of their warranty, I stick with what they recommend. I favored the styling of the Crescent design. It features a straight front zipper (even though Langlitz is not a fan of the straight zip) with a bi-swing back and a cossack collar. I had it shortened a bit to my liking. Fortunately, the wind flap behind the front zipper is stout enough to be very effective. I commute throughout the year on my bike, and I've spent enough time in the jacket that it is now extremely supple and comfortable. It has truly become "my" jacket.

I also own a pair of their riding pants, in goatskin. While the goatskin is more supple than the cowhide when new, and it does give a bit more than the cowhide does, I would never describe it to be anything like silly putty. It's pretty stout stuff and Langlitz regards it very highly when it comes to abrasion resistance. While the goatskin is notorious for retaining much of it's "like new" look, both hides actually have held up remarkably well in terms of the finish of the leather.

The thing about Langlitz is that they remain notoriously true to their heritage - more so than just about any other company that I can imagine. They primarily make motorcycle leathers and are primarily focused on motorcycle riders (although they do include a few military style jackets as part of their regular offerings). They consider their product to be very utilitarian, and are proud of that. I live just a few miles from their shop and have stopped by many times over the years. Every time I've stopped by, they have always quick to ask if I'd like a cup of coffee and how life has been treating me. I can't recall ever being in their small shop without another motorcyclist being present, either getting fitted for new leathers, or going over repairs made to their time-tested examples. Some of the bikes previously owned by founder Ross Langlitz hang from the ceiling. The sewing machines being used to construct the leathers look just as old as the bikes hanging up on display. The place is like a total time warp.

If you are looking for traditional motorcycle leathers, I can't think of another place with as much history, and as true to it's roots as Langlitz. If you're after something more for every day general use, which is probably what the large majority of people on this forum are truly looking for, then Langlitz would seem to be a curious choice, unless you're simply wanting to look like a biker as a fashion statement, which I suppose some people do.

After owning my motorcycle jacket for a few years, I decided that I'd really like to have a leather jacket just for casual street wear. This was back before I discovered this forum along with some of the other manufacturers out there like Johnson Leathers. So I had Langlitz make me a basic jacket for street wear only, not to be used on the bikes. The first jacket fit much looser than what I was looking for so they gave me a full refund. Later on, I ended up taking a second shot, but this time the jacket was too tight, again, my money was refunded in full. I never tried again with Langlitz. I'm sure that if I did though, they would have kept trying to make me happy. Despite those failed attempts, my original jacket, now well broken in, won't be going anywhere. Unless it's on my torso, in the breeze, while out on a bike.

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
I've owned my Langlitz jacket for almost eight years now and only wear it while I'm out on my bikes. The jacket features their mid-weight cowhide and I use the Langlitz supplied leather dressing on it at least once every year. I don't do this for looks, although the jacket does not look "plasticky" to my eyes. I do it because it is what Langlitz recommends in the best interest of the jacket as a piece of riding apparel. It also seems to make it easier to clean the dead bugs off of the hide when needed. Given the length of time they've been in business, and the thoroughness of their warranty, I stick with what they recommend. I favored the styling of the Crescent design. It features a straight front zipper (even though Langlitz is not a fan of the straight zip) with a bi-swing back and a cossack collar. I had it shortened a bit to my liking. Fortunately, the wind flap behind the front zipper is stout enough to be very effective. I commute throughout the year on my bike, and I've spent enough time in the jacket that it is now extremely supple and comfortable. It has truly become "my" jacket.

I also own a pair of their riding pants, in goatskin. While the goatskin is more supple than the cowhide when new, and it does give a bit more than the cowhide does, I would never describe it to be anything like silly putty. It's pretty stout stuff and Langlitz regards it very highly when it comes to abrasion resistance. While the goatskin is notorious for retaining much of it's "like new" look, both hides actually have held up remarkably well in terms of the finish of the leather.

The thing about Langlitz is that they remain notoriously true to their heritage - more so than just about any other company that I can imagine. They primarily make motorcycle leathers and are primarily focused on motorcycle riders (although they do include a few military style jackets as part of their regular offerings). They consider their product to be very utilitarian, and are proud of that. I live just a few miles from their shop and have stopped by many times over the years. Every time I've stopped by, they have always quick to ask if I'd like a cup of coffee and how life has been treating me. I can't recall ever being in their small shop without another motorcyclist being present, either getting fitted for new leathers, or going over repairs made to their time-tested examples. Some of the bikes previously owned by founder Ross Langlitz hang from the ceiling. The sewing machines being used to construct the leathers look just as old as the bikes hanging up on display. The place is like a total time warp.

If you are looking for traditional motorcycle leathers, I can't think of another place with as much history, and as true to it's roots as Langlitz. If you're after something more for every day general use, which is probably what the large majority of people on this forum are truly looking for, then Langlitz would seem to be a curious choice, unless you're simply wanting to look like a biker as a fashion statement, which I suppose some people do.

After owning my motorcycle jacket for a few years, I decided that I'd really like to have a leather jacket just for casual street wear. This was back before I discovered this forum along with some of the other manufacturers out there like Johnson Leathers. So I had Langlitz make me a basic jacket for street wear only, not to be used on the bikes. The first jacket fit much looser than what I was looking for so they gave me a full refund. Later on, I ended up taking a second shot, but this time the jacket was too tight, again, my money was refunded in full. I never tried again with Langlitz. I'm sure that if I did though, they would have kept trying to make me happy. Despite those failed attempts, my original jacket, now well broken in, won't be going anywhere. Unless it's on my torso, in the breeze, while out on a bike.
Well said. I think Langlitz customer service is very hard to beat, they do stick to a no questions asked full refund, not many people can do that.

Crinkle

New in Town
tbay that's very cool thanks for posting the pic. So it has no zipper or anything, it's just an extra pouch sort of?

I have to say I like that idea very much :)

Last edited:

tblay

One of the Regulars
tbay that's very cool thanks for posting the pic. So it has no zipper or anything, it's just an extra pouch sort of?

Correct. I agree that it's a neat feature.

I appreciate this sincere testimonial. I hope it's clear that I'm not criticizing Langlitz, especially their customer service, which has been superb. I appreciate their history of making motorcycle leathers. And that's exactly what I want, a jacket made for riding. But I also need it to fit properly and, maybe it's sad to say, please me aesthetically. If I wasn't spending a lot of money, I could live with something that didn't look good. But, for that price point, I want something that is both made for riding and feels made for me, aesthetically. Maybe I'm being too picky. I'm really glad you've had the relationship you've had with your Langlitz. You just really can't beat that kind of relationship with a jacket. And Langlitz is, no doubt, dedicated to their customers. I believe Aero is also a kind, customer-oriented company, though I've never had the opportunity to visit them. I sure hope to wear my Aero to Scotland one of these days.

ForestForTheTrees

One of the Regulars
I appreciate this sincere testimonial. I hope it's clear that I'm not criticizing Langlitz, especially their customer service, which has been superb. I appreciate their history of making motorcycle leathers. And that's exactly what I want, a jacket made for riding. But I also need it to fit properly and, maybe it's sad to say, please me aesthetically. If I wasn't spending a lot of money, I could live with something that didn't look good. But, for that price point, I want something that is both made for riding and feels made for me, aesthetically. Maybe I'm being too picky.

I don't think that you're being too picky at all. I agree for the kind of money that companies like Langlitz and others charge, that you should get more or less exactly what you want. Langlitz guarantees it, or your money back. It would be a shame to not take advantage of that policy. They have a rack full of returns in their shop waiting for new owners. There is someone else out there that would find your Langlitz to be exactly what they're looking for. Ultimately you should feel that same way about the jacket you receive from them. Good luck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner