Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Showdown Review: Aero Custom vs. Langlitz Custom

tblay

One of the Regulars
Okay, so I've been searching and searching and searching for the ideal leather jacket. You know, the one. I know lots and lots of folks on here have also made this odyssey. For those who haven't, or who are still considering vendors, I wanted to submit what I hope will be a thorough, helpful review concerning two of the leather jacket makers that seem to get talked about the most on sites like this one: Aero and Langlitz. Because of a small amount of inheritance money my dad left me this year, I was able to order a custom jacket from both these makers, and here are my results, complete with my initial concerns and customer service experiences:

Initial Concerns/Criteria: I ride, so I wanted a jacket intended for riding. However, I ride in Houston, so I wanted a jacket that was tough but light enough that I could at least wear for half the year (I'm not an ATGATT guy, because I might faint from exhaustion if I wore a jacket in the summer here). I can't do black leather jackets—sorry, I just can't—so I wanted something in the brown family. I wanted a jacket that was at least fairly rain resistant, for those times I get caught in a storm on the way home.

I ordered my Aero (Cossack) first, through the good folks at Insurrection. Both Lee and Carrie were very helpful on the phone. I'm a short, skinny dude. I think a lot of clothiers find it hard to believe that a 33 year old man can have a true 34 inch chest, so I often get told things like, "Well, a woman who works here wears the Small size, so I bet you'd do fine with that" (a verbatim comment I received years ago, when asking about jacket sizing). Lee, who took my order, talked me through sizing, based on the style and my layering needs (hardly anything, ever). Ultimately, we settled on a 36, because the 34 would "probably look plastered on."

While I was waiting for the Aero jacket to come in, I started reading more about custom leather work and discovered Langlitz. The rhetoric on their site about "being a part of the family" and blah blah really appealed to me, and I got excited about them making me a jacket as well. I primarily interacted with Scott, who was very patient with my questions and encouraged me to go with their goathide, since it would be lighter (but nearly just as tough) and a little more rain resistant. During this time, I also started worrying that my Aero, in FQHH, was going to be way too heavy for the fall and spring in Houston, which was extra incentive to try the Langlitz.

I also became concerned about the Aero because, while the Langlitz order form requires 12 specific measurements, the folks at Insurrection kind of guesstimated based on my height and weight. I thought, then, the fit on the Aero might not be as accurate, so I was glad to see Langlitz's measuring system.

Time of Completion: Both jackets were finished and shipped to me within one month. Insurrection quoted me one month and Langlitz quoted me two.

Impressions So Far: I received the Aero first. Right out of the box, it was beautiful. Though it hadn't been warn, of course, it already seemed like it had a soul. I was especially pleased with the tartan I'd picked out for it. It came with a hand-signed note from the individual who worked on it, which was great.

As many people here have noted, the FQHH was stiff. My girlfriend looked at it and said, "Does that jacket have armor in it?" Though it was stiff, slipping it on was really comfortable, and it felt good when I first threw a leg over, in about 85 degree temps.

When I received the Langlitz, I was a little surprised. The goathide looks kind of like...plastic. It does have a nice feel and is already pretty pliable, without hardly any break-in. Unfortunately, some of the sizing seems weird, and maybe that's due to a couple things. I originally ordered the Cascade with a straight zip and a dress collar without lapels. What they talked me into, though, was the traditional slanted zip Cascade with a Cossack collar (more on the zip later). The underarm sections of the jacket are really baggy/bunchy, which might come a little from the bi-swing back, but I'm not sure. The front of the jacket is quite short, barely coming to my belt. Maybe this doesn't look as odd as I think it does, but it kind of looks, to me, like I'm wearing a woman's jacket. I do like the color of the light brown goathide, but it clashes really intensely with the dark lining, the only one offered by Langlitz.

Riding: The biggest selling point for the slant zip on the Langlitz Cascade is that, when riding in hot weather, it creates a kind of ballooning effect that allows a lot of air flow, thus keeping a rider cool. When I rode in it in 85 degree temps, though, I didn't notice that it was any cooler than the Aero. What's more, something about the back of the collar butts up against the back of my helmet, which pushes my head slightly forward.

So far, riding in the Aero has been fantastic. I've been cozy in low 50's temps and not too miserably hot in the 85–90 range. It's already starting to break in a little, which is great, because now I can actually turn my head when I'm changing lanes. :D

Hardware/Pockets: I don't think there's a clear winner here. The Talon zipper on the Langlitz is smooth, but the bottom snap is sometimes troublesome and comes undone. The zipper on the Aero is usually okay, but sometimes it's a little sticky.

I ordered my Langlitz with a lot of pockets, many of them leather lined. I enjoy these pockets, especially the hidden armpit one, and the leather lining is nice. The pockets on the Aero seem to be lined in moleskin or cotton, as best I can tell. Whatever it is, it's pretty soft and comfy.

Customer Service: Everybody I dealt with at both companies was very pleasant and helpful. Carrie was a little faster at returning emails, but I could always get an answer by calling Scott at Langlitz. Another gentleman at Langlitz talked me out of some options I'd originally selected, thereby saving me some money, which I thought was a great gesture. They were both really nice companies to interact with.

Finishing Touches: I like the theory behind the Langlitz jacket, and having my name printed on the inside pocket is a really nice touch. However, the fit and the hide are just a little strange to me.

When I look at the Aero, or put it on, it just feels special. I do worry that, once it breaks in, the chest might be a little big and it will maybe sag on me a little. But that's nothing a few push-ups per day won't cure. Ultimately, I just feel good when I'm wearing it, as I did in a photo below.

I know this was long, but I just wanted to try to express how this went and the results I got. Hopefully, it helps someone out there who's on the fence about these two leather makers. I'll be happy to answer questions and such, and I'm going to reply and add some photos as well. Gotta switch computers to get to them.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
That was a very interesting post comparing two very different jackets. Thanks so much for sharing. Next, the pictures ... :D

tblay

One of the Regulars
Here are some photos of both jackets. Unfortunately, they're in florescent light and taken with a smartphone. IMG_2028.jpg IMG_2027.jpg IMG_2029.jpg IMG_2030.jpg

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Decent photos - better than mine. IMO the Cossack has greater versatility as an all purpose jacket than the Langlitz, which seems to say "ride".

IXL

One Too Many
Thanks for a great report on your experience. Do you find yourself wearing both jackets much, or is it mainly just the Aero?

Boyo

Call Me a Cab
Seems like it worked pretty good for you.. Two distinct jackets in two different colors.. Both keepers. I don't have one but I think the word on the goat is that it takes forever to show any wear/ creasing / grain etc.. Thanks for sharing your odyssey.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Cool review, and great looking jackets both. +1 with HD on the water. The leather may 'relax', but won't sag. It'll take your body shape and become a 'second skin'. I got caught in a storm walking back from work while wearing my Areo. Got back home, kept it on and let it dry a bit while wearing it, transformed the fit for me.

ForestForTheTrees

One of the Regulars
Honestly, send the Langlitz back. It's one of the best reasons to take a chance on a Langlitz. If you're not completely satisfied with the jacket (and it doesn't sound like you are), then they'll make you a new one that fits the way you want it to.

strokes1251

Practically Family
Just curious was one of the things that they talked you out of not getting on your Langlitz the padding on then shoulders and arms? Also Ive heard from alot of people that its takes years to beat up the goatskin on these jackets or to "develop the patina". Also awesome looking Aero! :D

Highwaymanman

A-List Customer
The jackets look great but if you do feel like the Langlitz is fitting wrong you should send back, no doubt. As has been mentioned, that's part of why getting a made to measure jacket from them is a good thing. As for the plastic feel of the Langlitz, don't second guess that. I have a Langlitz in brown goatskin (actually, might be cowhide, I don't honestly know but it's very pebbly and creaks like hell which made me think goat) and it starts to look awesome once you beat it up a little. It's the opposite of my oil pull FQHH Aero which - while not fully broken in after 18 months - began to show character instantly. Langlitz is supple from the get go but patina development is a slow, slow burn. The grain will pop out way before you get color changes, for example.

Peacoat

Bartender
Did Lee/Carrie offer to send you a fit jacket before you finalized the build? That is what they did for me, and it removed a lot of the guess work.

Do what HD suggested and get the jacket wet. Then wear it till it dries. In fact, wear it at every opportunity. Flex your arms at the elbows and at the shoulders. Wear it in the house, and wear it while driving. Won't take long to loosen it so that it is comfortable to wear.

Don't worry about the chest stretching; it won't. The fit will loosen quite a bit, but it won't stretch in areas that aren't stressed and don't need to stretch.

Excellent and informative review! Thanks for sharing your experience, and that Aero is freaking gorgeous!!

tblay

One of the Regulars
Decent photos - better than mine. IMO the Cossack has greater versatility as an all purpose jacket than the Langlitz, which seems to say "ride".

I think that distinction is exactly right, and probably one of the reasons I've been preferring the Aero. Good point.

tblay

One of the Regulars
The jackets look great but if you do feel like the Langlitz is fitting wrong you should send back, no doubt. As has been mentioned, that's part of why getting a made to measure jacket from them is a good thing. As for the plastic feel of the Langlitz, don't second guess that. I have a Langlitz in brown goatskin (actually, might be cowhide, I don't honestly know but it's very pebbly and creaks like hell which made me think goat) and it starts to look awesome once you beat it up a little. It's the opposite of my oil pull FQHH Aero which - while not fully broken in after 18 months - began to show character instantly. Langlitz is supple from the get go but patina development is a slow, slow burn. The grain will pop out way before you get color changes, for example.

Thanks. I appreciate the info. I need to contact Langlitz and ask them about trying again. I don't know if they'd be down for this, but I was thinking I might ask to use the Timberline as a base model and build a front zip and dress collar into it. That way, I can get the "very snug" fit I want without the droopiness in the pits and such.

tblay

One of the Regulars
Thank you for all the help in breaking in the Aero via wetting it. I'm traveling to South Dakota for work this weekend, and it's going to be wet and cold. I'm hoping that starts the process. Then, when I return, I'll get it wet and wear it dry on the bike.

strokes, Langlitz didn't talk me out of any padding because I was just never interested in it. I thought about it, very briefly, but then decided it just wasn't for me. I have seen some padding on some beat up jackets which looked good, though.

Peacoat, Insurrection did send me a fit jacket, which helped a lot. I wanted to try a size down in a fit jacket as well (at my expense for the shipping), but they were out of 34's. I think the 36 was the right call, though, as the sweep on the 34 would probably have been way too tight, and the length likely wouldn't have worked either.

I'll update with some fit pics after this weekend (hopefully). Thanks again, guys. Really nice to have this community.

D

Deleted member 16736

My condolences on the passing of your father.

Although I've never owned a Langlitz, I've handled their goatskin and cowhide and found both to be plasticky (this needs to be a real word). For the money, they could source better quality leather. I wanted to go with Langlitz because of their heritage 47 Langlitz model, but not with that leather. They had horsehide, but the tannery they work with isn't making it anymore and they are unwilling to look for another source. So in the meantime, they're off my list. Glad you struck paydirt with the Aero.

I purchased a Langlitz approx. 3 years ago, ordered on line, following their on line measurement protocol which was very detailed, and being careful to avoid a tight tape measure while taking the measurements.
The fit of the jacket just wasn't right. This was most notable in the arms, where I could barely fit my forearms through the sleeves...and it was literally painful to wear.
Contacted Langlitz....sent the jacket back.
A few weeks later, got the jacket back. It was a bit better...but still uncomfortably tight to the point I don't wear it.
I specified on the form and over the phone that I would not be wearing this riding, and was looking for a more comfortable fit.

They were great to deal with...very friendly and helpful...but just couldn't get the fit right.

I'd order another Langlitz only if I were in the area to have them take my measurements directly, and could pick up the jacket personally so they could see how it fit and make the appropriate corrections.

Re; the leather...I prefer Aero's leather. I really like their full weight FQHH and the way it molds to your body with a few good soakings and wearings.

Last edited:

coloradorider

One of the Regulars
OP - beautiful Aero Cossack. I love the character the CXL FQHH develops. Hope you have good weather in SD and can wear it around. I really like the Langlitz as well but it will lose some casual use since it does suggest strongly that it's a riding jacket. Sorry the fit on the Langlitz isn't 100%. I agree you should take advantage of the fit guarantee. Hopefully, Langlitz will work with you since the slanted zip isn't for you and build you a jacket you're completely happy with. The goatskin will also look brand new 20 years from now and gives a very good option contrast to your Cossack.

plasticky (this needs to be a real word).
- indeed it does. The plasticky looks goes away with wear. I have a three year old goatskin Langlitz and it looks brand new but it has lost the plasticky look/shine. I don't like Langlitz's leather dressing because it contains silicon and rejuvenates the plastic look and shine to their leather.

For the money, they could source better quality leather.
- Quality may not be the appropriate word here.

I had a long talk with Scott at Langlitz about their leather options and his explanation was that they are very picky about the finish, thickness, and texture of their leather for durability when you eventually end up on the pavement with their jacket on. Langlitz want's strong, uniform leather so it doesn't tear apart unexpectedly in a crash. The durability of their jackets seems to suggest that they are meeting this goal since you'll see 20-30 year old Langlitz jackets on ebay and they still look amazing in most cases. Their older goatskin jackets look new forever and Langlitz suggests they offer approximately the same level of durability as the mid-weight cowhide they use in a leather meets pavement situation. I purchased a 19 year old goatskin Langlitz at a thrift store and it looks as new as my 2010 model, for example. I prefer they would be willing to source leathers for non-motorcycle applications so there was a little more variety available. This jacket, Langlitz Cascade, would be amazing in any color of Horween's CXL.

If you want character like Horween's CXL develops then Langlitz isn't the place to look. This thread, Langlitz: Why not horsehide?, is the best aged Langlitz I've ever seen and it's pretty subtle compared to CXL - IMO. Here's how I sum it up:

Langlitz - goatskin/black cowhide - looks the same for your natural lifetime after losing the plastic sheen and developing it's creases. Avoid Langlitz's leather dressing to avoid the plastic look.
Langlitz - brown cowhide - wear it everywhere, all the time, and you will develop a unique personality.

Real patina - buy another vendor's jacket.

Langlitz's hard core motorcycle jacket builder mojo gives them a very unique personality but it seriously detracts from some of the amazing jackets you could get if they expanded their leather options. Their real positives IMO are the fit guarantee, their ability to build a jacket for someone with non-standard proportions, name cache from a long history of motorcycle jacket building, and a very high level of build quality.

Thank you to the OP for his time in writing up a very good comparison.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner