Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

shrinking aero anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

schitzo

Suspended
Working in the field of stress and strain in materials for 30 years, what first comes to mind it tension induced buckling. Where would that tension come from? Looking at the fine close stitching I would guess that the stitching is very tight and as the leather is softening the tension in the stitching is drawing the panels in. The upper chest symmetric creases look to be a result of both the shoulder stitching and the arm stitching drawing in the softening leather. The back panels also seem to be affected by this same tight stitching overcoming the leather. The arms might be freed from this phenomenon due to the amount of flexing they receive from normal wear possibly loosening the stitching and reaching an equilibrium with the leather.

Thanks for posting this, that is very interesting and I think you could very well be right. It's definitely the best explanation I've heard so far. When I got it 'triple stitched' didn't really mean anything to me, but what you've described fits with how it feels on my back. I put it on this morning, over just a shirt, and seems it's a struggle to get the jacket sleeves to sit comfortably over a shirt's, when that was never the case to begin with. So perhaps the sleeves have suffered the same fate.

Hard for me to draw any reliable conclusions at this stage, as I'm sure you appreciate.
But I wonder, do you think this type of stitching could be responsible for the fantastic grain that's popped out all over the jacket? The grain, creases and wrinkling look better than I've ever seen and if this is related to the stitching then that would be one effect that is desirable.

schitzo

Suspended
Ok, I admit to being an Aero fanboy, but I have good reason, for a number of reasons, but here's my tuppence worth anyway. Discount it if you want.

Of course your tuppence worth will not be discounted by me just because you're a self confessed aero fan boy. That's absolutely fine, obviously. And as far as I can see wdw you have nothing to explain or apologise for so please carry on posting whatever's on your mind with no need for you to justify anything.

But given your introduction above, and what you've read and seen on this thread, what do you make of the aero position - which based on two photos is that the jacket shrunk on account of those two creases? And furthermore, that they were caused by me packing it in a suitcase? I am genuinely interested to hear how that diagnosis sits with you. Whilst I understand that not all of us on here are at a liberty to field that one earnestly, I believe you are

Peter Mackin

One Too Many
The British banter does not travel well, unfortunately. I've seen it all my life, and I'm not from the UK... Nor am I from France I just live here :)

As far as the jackets go, I think I have 4 Aeros now. Or those are the ones that I checked. The only one without creases is an old Connolly one. The creases do not bother me one bit, my body changes all the time, right now getting smaller, having gotten bigger before. I expect the creases to change, as well. With leather jackets there is no perfect fit for me.
Hi Tony...I find British banter&especially Scottish humour travels really well..& iv travelled extensively..I for one wouldn't do any hwt..No stretching ..nothing...simply wear the hell out of it for as long as....then if your not happy sell it.it looks a beautiful jacket..personally.I would have thought ..get accurate measurements & pics up & flog it...& move on....someone would love that jacket..schitzo clearly doesn't..but hey.get pics up n let's have a poll..

Last edited:

schitzo

Suspended
Hi Tony...I find British banter&especially Scottish humour travels really well..& iv travelled extensively..I for one wouldn't do any hwt..No stretching ..nothing...simply wear the hell out of it for as long as....then if your not happy sell it.it looks a beautiful jacket..personally.I would have thought ..get accurate measurements & pics up & flog it...& move on....someone would love that jacket..schitzo clearly doesn't..but hey.get pics up n let's have a poll..

Thanks for your interest and feedback Peter. I look forward to more in the near future

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
You guys are mental!

I don't own an Aero, but have just checked my Schott 644 and my Lewis Leathers Dominator, both of them show the chest creases to some extent.
Even my Iron Heart cotton duck type 3 shows them.
Could it be that those creases are normal and not worth obsessing about?

Peter Mackin

One Too Many
You guys are mental!

I don't own an Aero, but have just checked my Schott 644 and my Lewis Leathers Dominator, both of them show the chest creases to some extent.
Even my Iron Heart cotton duck type 3 shows them.
Could it be that those creases are normal and not worth obsessing about?

+1

schitzo

Suspended
.I for one wouldn't do any hwt..No stretching ..nothing...simply wear the hell out of it for as long as....then if your not happy sell it.it looks a beautiful jacket..personally.I would have thought ..get accurate measurements & pics up & flog it...& move on....someone would love that jacket..schitzo clearly doesn't..but hey.get pics up n let's have a poll..

Peter, first you asked me what do I want, and then this. It kinda feels to me like you've had enough of this particular thread, that you're tired of it and that it's bringing you no satisfaction. Almost as though you'd prefer it was over with already, in which case, may I politely remind you that other reading material is available.

For me, the OP, and the others who are interested in the topic - which is why/how the thing shrunk - post 254 is probably the best one made yet. Though apparently you haven't even clocked what he said. Personally, I thought his post was refreshing and insightful, and I for one am grateful to him for coming on to share with us his expertise. Moreover, I am glad to know there are members like Enough out there who can draw on personal expertise to help shed light on issues upon which most of us are nigh on clueless.

Re the jacket. Frankly, whether I keep it, move it on or use it to clean my car with is none of your concern. So unless you are about to make me an offer I cannot refuse, please, no more advice on what to do with it. Understanding what has happened here is our focal point. If that doesn't interest you - and apparently it doesn't - then feel free to follow some of your own advice, and 'move on' to a thread that does. I don't mean that in a cold hearted way, I mean it in a helpful, constructive way, since I want you to enjoy TFL more than you are this thread

zhz

Practically Family
Thanks for posting this, that is very interesting and I think you could very well be right. It's definitely the best explanation I've heard so far. When I got it 'triple stitched' didn't really mean anything to me, but what you've described fits with how it feels on my back. I put it on this morning, over just a shirt, and seems it's a struggle to get the jacket sleeves to sit comfortably over a shirt's, when that was never the case to begin with. So perhaps the sleeves have suffered the same fate.

Hard for me to draw any reliable conclusions at this stage, as I'm sure you appreciate.
But I wonder, do you think this type of stitching could be responsible for the fantastic grain that's popped out all over the jacket? The grain, creases and wrinkling look better than I've ever seen and if this is related to the stitching then that would be one effect that is desirable.

Errr, the opposite situation happens to my jacket, as I posted, there were diagonals on my Westfall when it was new, but after leather is softening, these diagonals are gone...
Also, if my knowledge is correct, the cotton thread will stretch due to wear as well, am I right?

Peter Mackin

One Too Many
Schitz....lighten up my friend..I just think it would be helpful.constructive even..to post pics of you actually wearing the jacket...or are you just gonna keep this going till we have gone through every possible cause of why your jacket is now too small..your coming across as someone who wants a refund or a new jacket....that's cool but please please just man up n say so....if that's what you're after of course..like iv seen many times on fedora lounge ..fit pics or this thread is worthless....we have all seen the movie..the measurements....cut to the chase man..

Last edited:

schitzo

Suspended
Schitz....lighten up my friend..I just think it would be helpful.constructive even..to post pics of you actually wearing the jacket...or are you just gonna keep this going till we have gone through every possible cause of why your jacket is now too small..your coming across as someone who wants a refund or a new jacket....that's cool but please please just man up n say so....if that's what you're after of course..like iv seen many times on fedora lounge ..fit pics or this thread is worthless....we have all seen the movie..the measurements....cut to the chase man..

I'm sorry Peter MAckin, is there a time limit???
Perhaps if you would just stop distracting me with your witty banter I could be a bit more productive.
But anyway, as I said previously, if this thread is a bit slow moving for your tastes you do have options my friend.

I must say, your sudden, prolonged, interest in my situation is.. what's the word.. interesting

Again, thank you for your feedback and I look forward to hearing more from you in the near future.

As for the fit pics, I said I would, and I will. Just bear with me OK, I'll even wear the same clothes as I did first time out, and I'll be sure to give you a very clear view. As they say, patience is a virtue

So this might be what causes those shoulder creases.....
How the pattern is made:
_MG_1990.jpg
If your shoulders are a different slope:
_MG_1991.jpg

Peter Mackin

One Too Many
Sorry schitz....you take your time..&my interest isn't sudden..iv been here since the op..& only because would like to see before&after pics...patience is indeed a virtue :rolleyes:

Measurements are one thing, but shoulder slope is not a given measurement for these jackets, and the modern cut seems to favor broader/ horizontal shoulder types.
If you look at the shots that Carrie posts of jackets on the Insurrection mannequin, you can see it happening.

Here is a vintage one on top of a modern one.
_MG_1993.jpg

See the difference in slope?
The vintage one can hang on a hanger with no creasing whatsoever. Probably not so with a modern one (as some have noted).
Again, not a flaw. Just a difference, but maybe even more pronounced on a fitted jacket in a heavier hide.

Last edited:
I think that would depend on how "developed" the creases are and what type of hide you have.
In a perfect world, there might be a "slender shoulder" pattern variation instead of a width modification. But as I mentioned before...not likely. ;-)

This thread's gone waaay of course. Jacket shrinkage is one thing that may present a legit issue but this whole creases business is becoming increasingly moot as the conclusion that none of it affects the length of the jacket in any way has already been reached. Seeing how they're there on near every jacket currently listed on eBay, I'm pretty sure it's a perfectly normal thing. Besides, it's not like there's anything anyone can do about it, so what's the point in pursuing this any further?

zhz

Practically Family
I think the creases do affect the length of the sleeve but not the length of the jacket, there must be some other reasons that caused the shrinkage...we just don't know what it is. And this is what we are try to figure out at the beginning of the thread, so, lets say, can we back to the topic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vladyslav