Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

shrinking aero anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

schitzo

Suspended
In what can only be described as a kick in the balls from hell I find that my Original Hercules has shrunk the best part of an inch! I've had to put it in a suitcase out of sight since looking at it and remembering how great we were together last winter is just too damned sad. I suspect the sleeves have shortened up too, but I didn't dare measure those. As some of you may recall, it was in my view right on the money lengthwise, though if it were to have been adjusted by half an inch then .5 more would have been preferable to .5 less.

My questions are: HOW could this happen? Has it happened to you? Is there any way to reverse it? Are there any ways to prevent this type of disaster?

For the record, I've never had shrinkage on an aero before, The hide in question is FQHH, the best looking kind I've experienced. It felt a bit lighter than usual I'd say and the grain is sensational, truly a spectacular leather to behold and frankly I doubt I'll be seeing any as good as this again.

It's got me wondering are some hides more/less susceptible to shrinkage? Is goat a safer bet? And do you think a leather strip at the bottom would make any difference? I think that last one is perhaps a bit desperate, but I really couldn't bear to be in this situation with my best jacket a second time.

Men, your input is welcomed. And if the advice and suggestions are sensible, that'll be even better

Thanks in advance
Schitz

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about this Schitz!
I had good luck stretching out a vintage HH jacket, but I dunno about that Black FQHH Horween stuff.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Sorry Schitz. The shrinking fear has haunted me for a long while. Perhaps you just got an odd batch. My gut tells me humidity might have something to do with it, but that's a guess. You do a lot of traveling right? Perhaps a change of climate? Did you take your jacket with you on a trip?

Last edited:
HWT! and once it was soaked and malleable, I put it on and stretched every which way. Then I filled bottles with hot water, wrapped the necks with socks so they fit snugly, and shoved them down the sleeves. My main concern was getting the sleeves about an inch longer, and it worked. Unfortunately I ripped the lining in the pits, so off it went to Johnson Leathers for a re-line.

schitzo

Suspended
My gut tells me humidity might have something to do with it, but that's a guess. You do a lot of traveling right? Perhaps a change of climate? Did you take your jacket with you on a trip?

Interesting shout. It has spent some time with me in Beijing, where the air is very dry. The opposite of humid. Dunno if that could have an impact or not

HWT! and once it was soaked and malleable, I put it on and stretched every which way. Then I filled bottles with hot water, wrapped the necks with socks so they fit snugly, and shoved them down the sleeves. My main concern was getting the sleeves about an inch longer, and it worked. Unfortunately I ripped the lining in the pits, so off it went to Johnson Leathers for a re-line.

Thx for this. If I can summon the courage, maybe..
For now I am not ruling it out

Has the jacket shrunk or have you errrr grown?

err like it says, the jacket is almost an inch shorter. Me, I'm still 6,1". If I can just somehow shrink an inch too I guess that'd fix it

Cooperson

One Too Many
Sorry hear your not wearing the Herc mate, it was a beauty. Have you been out in heavy rain and got it soaked at all? Only reason I ask is because when I was having for a remake of my Premium 1930's Halfbelt, Ken at Aero mentioned how it might shrink with time. I sure he won't mind if I post his reply here:

"The main point is that the jacket is going to shorten all round with wear, CXFQHH always does as it forms creases around the body, waist etc. The wetter it get the more this will happen, I’d expect to loose ¼” to ½” in length by mid winter. Even Goat shortens, my Levi/Aero Blue Back is now almost a full 1” shorter than when it was made, OK it seems that the tighter the fit the more a jacket shortens and it has got soaked a couple of times."

wdw

One Too Many
Very interesting Cooperson. That makes me want to spec a bit longer on my upcoming premium HB.

simonc

Practically Family
Everything reduces with wear, denim is the same over time. Always, always, always trust the manufacturers specs. 40 years will teach you how to make a jacket fit. Top makers like Aero always give about 5% with all cloth and leather for you to grow into. Savile Row are the same. Also could it be young man your balls have dropped and the disco fit you over spec'd on the jacket is no longer relevant as you've out grown the jacket only to realise Ken and Co were right all along in the first place?

Last edited:
To add to the HWT...if you don't want to soak it, you could use a steamer and just hit the bottom part of the body.

schitzo

Suspended
Sorry hear your not wearing the Herc mate, it was a beauty. Have you been out in heavy rain and got it soaked at all? Only reason I ask is because when I was having for a remake of my Premium 1930's Halfbelt, Ken at Aero mentioned how it might shrink with time. I sure he won't mind if I post his reply here:

"The main point is that the jacket is going to shorten all round with wear, CXFQHH always does as it forms creases around the body, waist etc. The wetter it get the more this will happen, I’d expect to loose ¼” to ½” in length by mid winter. Even Goat shortens, my Levi/Aero Blue Back is now almost a full 1” shorter than when it was made, OK it seems that the tighter the fit the more a jacket shortens and it has got soaked a couple of times."

That is interesting stuff, that I'll bear it in mind for future reference. Re this jacket, it spent the winter and spring time with me in Beijing and there was NO rain.

Everything reduces with wear, denim is the same over time. Always, always, always trust the manufacturers specs. 40 years will teach you how to make a jacket fit. Top makers like Aero always give about 5% with all cloth and leather for you to grow into. Savile Row are the same. Also could it be young man your balls have dropped and the disco fit you over spec'd on the jacket is no longer relevant as you've out grown the jacket only to realise Ken and Co were right all along in the first place?

lol.
1) We're still waiting for my balls to drop. But once they have I'll let you know immediately and you can reassess whether I'm eligible for entry into one of those 'parties' you throw at your house.
2) It does feel a little tighter around the upper body too but my chest is the same size as it always was. So either my shoulders have broadened or the whole thing's shrunk. I can still wear it but it does feel a bit too short at this length. As you've pointed out in your own jazzy style, it was already on the short side to begin with
3) Re: Ken was right in the first place. Let me tell you about the first place and you may take from it what you will. When I tried one of these on in Galashiels Ken told me not to add any length! It was me who pushed for a little bit more to be added, to which he conceded that half an inch and no more would be viable. It can be noted that he also told me to wear my jeans higher, and that I did take that advice on board

Last edited:

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I've always wondered about this whenever someone on this forum has raged about his jacket being half an inch too long. Leather will naturally contract over time as folds form. Also, didn't John Chapman say something about stitches contracting? Anyway, Schitz, sorry to hear of your loss.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I take the lining has dropped beneath the outer shell - I'd expect this if the leather has shrunk. The obvious other question: have you contacted Aero about it?

simonc

Practically Family
Pics. Give a look. Seriously has this ever happened on any other Aero jackets? Can you think why this may have happened?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21