Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

shrinking aero anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cooperson

One Too Many
I'm sorry, did anyone take note of Ken's statement "I’d expect to loose ¼” to ½” in length by mid winter". The photo of my jacket and tape measure at 24.5 " is with the jacket laid flat and stretched out, the original measurement was spot on 25" just 3 months ago, fact!

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Yes, through wrinkling from wear. I lost the same amount off my sleeves and the jacket was cut to take account of this: my sleeves started off slightly too long and after about a week or two they shortened by 0.25" and then stopped shrinking. I didn't notice the body shrinking measurably, but then the LHB isn't that sort of jacket.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Schitz's case is different. Everyone was well aware of the sleeves shrinking with creasing. But just spontaneously shrinking is another matter.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
The shrinking is not limited to Aeros.

It seems to be the most prevalent with Schotts in naked cowhide (besides the instances of them being saturated with rain). Mind you, there aren't too many instances of this happening online at all.

Last edited:

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I think what we're lacking here is pics to see a possible cause of this 'spontaneous shrinkage'. I sure Aero would love to see them too.

zhz

Practically Family
I decide to do the experiment about this when I receive my BK A2. The jacket is new, and the weather does not allow me to wear it anyway, so I will take the jacket length before I put it in the closet, of course, I will not hang it, but put it flat, and lets see what will happen next year, March/April.

Cooperson

One Too Many
I don't think 3 months wear qualifies as spontaneous, but here is a full view of the jacket being measured, it's laid flat and stretched out and it measures a tad under 24.5". When new it was exactly 25", stated on the production sheet and made by Julie so you know it wasn't 24.75" or 25.25" but spot on 25".

image.jpg

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I find this very odd. I have had dozens of jackets, in goat, horsehide, cow, steer, kangaroo and capeskin and I have never had a jacket stretch or shrink even by a millimetre. And I live in an extreme climate of unbearable heat and humidity along with cold and rain. I have even put many jackets through the washing machine (with detergent) to break them in. No change in size. What can be the cause here?

Cyber Lip

Practically Family
did you measure it this exact same way before? One mistake I made measuring mine once, I did not have the top of the tape measure hooked on top of the collar seem, I measured it from just below the collar seem. If you're convinced you are measuring it the exact same way as before, I'd contact aero. If it really did shrink .5", sounds like a faulty batch of leather

btw I don't know how you could arrive at an accurate back measurement, measuring it lying flat like that. You need to hang it

Last edited:

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
I find this very odd. I have had dozens of jackets, in goat, horsehide, cow, steer, kangaroo and capeskin and I have never had a jacket stretch or shrink even by a millimetre. And I live in an extreme climate of unbearable heat and humidity along with cold and rain. I have even put many jackets through the washing machine (with detergent) to break them in. No change in size. What can be the cause here?

Unless you measured, how would you know? I would expect that one might notice shrinking sleeve length, but a little extra or less length in the body isn't likely to be noticed unless you measured (and actually remembered the original length).

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Prior to the suitcase, where was it stored? I'd look that area over and try to see if you can sense any anomalies.
Like if you use a heater and the jacket's hanging in the closet, put your hand in there with the heater on and see if it's unusually warm in there? I'm at a loss mate. I don't know what would do it other than possibly water. There's nothing online on the subject.

Last edited:

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Unless you measured, how would you know? I would expect that one might notice shrinking sleeve length, but a little extra or less length in the body isn't likely to be noticed unless you measured (and actually remembered the original length).

Good point - but most of my jackets from the past ten years I have measured and they remain accurate to their specs which have been standard for me for years. 26 inch sleeves, 27 inch back. And I've just measured 6 of my jackets after reading your post and they remain sound :D. I also think I'd notice a change of sleeve or back length fairly readily.

Cooperson

One Too Many
did you measure it this exact same way before? One mistake I made measuring mine once, I did not have the top of the tape measure hooked on top of the collar seem, I measured it from just below the collar seem. If you're convinced you are measuring it the exact same way as before, I'd contact aero. If it really did shrink .5", sounds like a faulty batch of leather

btw I don't know how you could arrive at an accurate back measurement, measuring it lying flat like that. You need to hang it

Trust me, when I measure a jacket it gets measured accurately, no mistakes. Aero do not take their measurements with jackets hanging, always laid flat. The measurement was taken in exactly the same way, when the jacket was new and now 3 months on, the result is very real. I don't know why the shock, I wouldn't expect a jacket to get longer with wear and especially if it gets wet. As long as it doesn't continue to get shorter, I'm fine with it.

Dav

One Too Many
Interesting thread, so much so that I thought I'd take the tape to my Teamster and I'm now to say the least shocked!
The jacket when new measured 30", I know this as I checked the length because I asked for the remake to be longer than the original and it was. Well today I can only get it to measure 28.5" and that's with it stretched, it soon goes back to 28".

So still not believing what the tape was saying I dug out a pic when it was new and took a similar one today, same jeans btw,

As you can see, it has definitely got shorter, no wonder the lining sagged!

Edit
I should add, that it doesn't bother me I'm just surprised by how much.

Last edited:

schitzo

Suspended
Tropical Bob, thanks for the kind words.

No Sloane, I haven't mentioned it to Aero. What exactly should I say? Apparently, this is to be expected. I guess with a longer one like your HB or Dav's Teamster above it doesn't matter so much. But with a short one when it's right on the threshold to begin with it can be a problem

Now it's night time where I am, but I am going to take a picture right now and if it's not so great I'll take another tomorrow. For the record, like Coops I measure very very carefully, in the same way each time, with the jacket laid out flat, and with no slack in the tape measure. Definitely more than half an inch has disappeared into the ether.

Pic coming..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24