Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

shrinking aero anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big J

Call Me a Cab
The only time I've ever had a leather jacket shrink on me was when I was a kid- caught in the rain on the bike, got soaking wet, hours of riding in the hot sun, about one inch shrink in sleeve length.

schitzo

Suspended
sorry Nick, I forgot to answer your question. It was stored in a zipped suit travel cover (that's not what they're called is it, but u get the drift) on the floor under my bed

Re these pictures. Photobucket are up the creek so I've opened a flickr account. I used fruit to help pin the tape measure close against the leather, with no slack

DSC00733 by misterschitzo, on Flickr

DSC00737 by misterschitzo, on Flickr

Have noticed the lining is perhaps a bit less taught than it used to be, but there is no overhang yet.

DSC00739 by misterschitzo, on Flickr

Last edited:

schitzo

Suspended
Has yours gotten wet?

As far as I recall no. It definitely has never had a soaking. I wore it in Beijing for the winter and spring, and from memory there wasn't any. It's a strange climate over there. That said, if it turns out there was some rain in Beijing last winter then I must have been asleep that day

zhz

Practically Family
As far as I recall no. It definitely has never had a soaking. I wore it in Beijing for the winter and spring, and from memory there wasn't any. It's a strange climate over there. That said, if it turns out there was some rain in Beijing last winter then I must have been asleep that day

The winter/spring in Beijing is dry and windy, and cold of course. It is bad for the leather, that is why many of my friends (and me as well) always treat our leather jacket with cream/oil etc... but I dont think this could course any shrinkage...

It is particularly enjoyable reading contributions from other members who suddenly discovered that their jacket shrank too. Keeps getting better and better. Providentially, this thread couldn't have happened two weeks ago, when I still had time to reconsider the length. Just great.

I still say this shouldn't be happening. Creases are one thing, but the jacket shrinking by itself, and so much at that, I don't know. . .

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Tropical Bob, thanks for the kind words.

No Sloane, I haven't mentioned it to Aero. What exactly should I say? Apparently, this is to be expected. I guess with a longer one like your HB or Dav's Teamster above it doesn't matter so much. But with a short one when it's right on the threshold to begin with it can be a problem

Now it's night time where I am, but I am going to take a picture right now and if it's not so great I'll take another tomorrow. For the record, like Coops I measure very very carefully, in the same way each time, with the jacket laid out flat, and with no slack in the tape measure. Definitely more than half an inch has disappeared into the ether.

Pic coming..

I'd imagine Aero would have a better idea than those of us here, don't you think?

Cyber Lip

Practically Family
So you guys discovering shrinkage...are you also some of the guys that do all these 'treatments' to your jackets i.e.; running them through the wash, puting them in the dryer, taking hot showers with them on, applying rubbing alcohol to them, putting them on a chair and leaving them outside, etc. etc.?

Last edited:

schitzo

Suspended
The winter/spring in Beijing is dry and windy, and cold of course. It is bad for the leather, that is why many of my friends (and me as well) always treat our leather jacket with cream/oil etc... but I dont think this could course any shrinkage...

I didn't treat it with anything and saw no need to. BJ hasn't dried this one out

You definately cant wear that anymore. You just gotta have to pass it along. Oi..its my size!

Indeed my loss could well end up as some lucky ba***rd's gain..

It is particularly enjoyable reading contributions from other members who suddenly discovered that their jacket shrank too. Keeps getting better and better. Providentially, this thread couldn't have happened two weeks ago, when I still had time to reconsider the length. Just great.

I still say this shouldn't be happening. Creases are one thing, but the jacket shrinking by itself, and so much at that, I don't know. . .

There must be an explanation if we dig deep enough. By which I mean somebody else, I'm going to bed. Am still wondering if the same happens with goat though. Anyone?

I'd imagine Aero would have a better idea than those of us here, don't you think?

Seems like Ken has already spoken on the matter.. but I suppose one more email for Holly wouldn't do any harm. I'll let you know

nick123

I'll Lock Up
When you look at the jacket, do you notice any creases in the body anywhere?? Even on the side of the liner? Rub your fingers down it and look for a bulge.

Last edited:

Cooperson

One Too Many
So you guys discovering shrinkage...are you also some of the guys that do all these 'treatments' to your jackets i.e.; running them through the wash, puting them in the dryer, taking hot showers with them on, applying rubbing alcohol to them, putting them on a chair and leaving them outside, etc. etc.?

To all the above, no.

This must be the "law of diminishing returns" at work. No wonder used jackets are only worth 2/3 value ;-)

and Dav, yours still looks great!

Last edited:

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
What about the idea I mentioned earlier, that the threads might contract somewhat due to heat and time? I notice on my LHB, which I've had for almost three years now, that small striations have appeared around the stitchings. Would that be enough to result in the kind of shrinkage we're seeing here? I don't know.

That would mean that a jacket with a multi paneled back would shrink more than a single panel, but Dav's shrunk the most. Seams would be a good place to start looking for bunching or pulling.

Cyber Lip

Practically Family
What about the idea I mentioned earlier, that the threads might contract somewhat due to heat and time? I notice on my LHB, which I've had for almost three years now, that small striations have appeared around the stitchings. Would that be enough to result in the kind of shrinkage we're seeing here? I don't know.

I think if anything it's the opposite. I've noticed my aeros seemed to gain about 1/8 - 1/4" after about a month of getting them. I've attributed this to the stitching pulling and settling in after being worn and hung on a hangar, and the leather flattening out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
islamicjankari