Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

shrinking aero anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don Tomaso

A-List Customer
Hi Schitzo, didn't mean it bad, just picking. And no more statements about ladies, camera or not, from me. I guess you could get a pic of you with the jacket on in front of the Llama-temple or in the Summer-Palace in a µs, so please entertain us with one. ;) FWIW, here is me in the LHB and the Pioneer, which by no means is a perfect fitting jacket, but not too bad for a leather-jacket.
Long Half-Belt Front Detail.jpg
Pioneer2.jpg
The fit of the LHB is better now as the leather is finally broken in, but creases are all over the place. You can see clearly, that I definitely don't aim for the Knackwurst-looks you suggested in your post. Would look ridiculous, to put it mildly. ;)
You can see the creases in the front clearly, and how could it be different? We demand large panels and thick hides, but there is only so much you can mold leather to the complicated contours of a body, and even more so, if you still want to move in the damn thing. I guess you either learn to live with the jacket and love it for what it is or you get rid of it.
BTW, can you still breathe in Beijing? Last time I've been there in winter, must have been early 2008, it was very bad already, and I heard it went south from then.

schitzo

Suspended
Looks all bitchy to me.

I would say more catty than bitchy, but that's just his style Big J. When he's not answering questions and generally trying his best to steer this thread away from the nitty gritty I guess substance has to be replaced with something. Calling ME, the OP, a 'side show' though, that's an interesting choice of words: https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=side+show+meaning

Personally, I thought the thread had lightened up a bit. DT was good for it

Well done Peter. If it takes you just 25 pages to come out with nuggets like that, then I am surely not alone when I say, let us pray this thread reaches page 50! lol Keep em coming big man.

Back to the price of bread then..
Farwalker, I hope you'll be back with a pictures of yours soon. That would be useful data here.
And if Hide n Seek wants to pop back (since the other guy refuses to answer) it would be great to know whether the diagonal creases are a feature of the pattern (on account of those being true to the originals), or if they're not.
My contribution - to be made asap - is I'll get new fit pics up very soon chaps, I promise

Now everybody please behave will you. Big J is not amused!!!

schitzo

Suspended
Hi Schitzo, didn't mean it bad, just picking. And no more statements about ladies, camera or not, from me. I guess you could get a pic of you with the jacket on in front of the Llama-temple or in the Summer-Palace in a µs, so please entertain us with one. ;) FWIW, here is me in the LHB and the Pioneer, which by no means is a perfect fitting jacket, but not too bad for a leather-jacket.
View attachment 20699
View attachment 20700
The fit of the LHB is better now as the leather is finally broken in, but creases are all over the place. You can see clearly, that I definitely don't aim for the Knackwurst-looks you suggested in your post. Would look ridiculous, to put it mildly. ;)
You can see the creases in the front clearly, and how could it be different? We demand large panels and thick hides, but there is only so much you can mold leather to the complicated contours of a body, and even more so, if you still want to move in the damn thing. I guess you either learn to live with the jacket and love it for what it is or you get rid of it.
BTW, can you still breathe in Beijing? Last time I've been there in winter, must have been early 2008, it was very bad already, and I heard it went south from then.

Hey Don, I wouldn't normally confirm this, but since I guess your brain thinks in German before it does English, and just to remove any little doubts, let me confirm that it's all jokes from my end - and that I took every word of yours in the spirit it was meant. I think.
Whether we disagree or agree on a topic I generally find your posts intelligent and worthwhile.
Thanks for those pics! You like the brown stuff best I see.
It's actually blowing a gale outside at the moment which means the air quality is great right now. Yes they are a bit 'fresh' but I for one won't mind if these strong winds can stick around a while. I'm not making any promises about backdrops, but if I make it to somewhere decent on a clear day, I'll see what I can do

Last edited:

Don Tomaso

A-List Customer
Hi Schitzo, at least you assume I've got a brain and it sometimes does think. Couldn't ask for more, I suppose. ;)
What I meant, anyway, was that thinking too hard about certain issues (is the jacket fitting well?, who caused the fight?, do I really like stinky tofu?) may lead to nothing else than frustration and irritation. I guess this wonderfull machine inside our skulls is not really good at thinking, it might have other qualities instead.
Getting back to the issue at hand, there is an old adage by Jack Welch (iirc): "Love it, fix it, or leave it".

Peter Mackin

One Too Many
Hi schitz..I'm not getting what nugget your referring to..I read through the fedora lounge posts for information and find it pretty enjoyable most times.I do find it laughable at times seeing guys beat about the Bush & not just be downright honest.I do sympathise that your jacket no longer fits the way you like it.but now it seems there are more & more problems each post..just come right out & say what you want coz it seems you want rid of this jacket pronto...that's just how it seems..No bitching.No nastieness just be good to know..

schitzo

Suspended
"Love it, fix it, or leave it".

Thanks for this one Don. Maybe I can apply the 2nd option to my jacket. We will see about that

just come right out & say what you want coz it seems you want rid of this jacket pronto...that's just how it seems..No bitching.No nastieness just be good to know..

OK.
1) I want to know why the jacket shrunk so much. You've seen the video and I find the aero diagnosis lacking. That those two creases were caused by me packing it wrong, and that they then ate the leather doesn't seem like a good explanation when I look at them closely. As has been pointed out by almost everyone, we all have those! But not all of our jackets have shrunk like this
2) I want to know about the pattern. If this jacket is irredeemable and I bought another, perhaps in a different hide (probably Vicenza), would it come with the same diagonal creases or not?
3) I want this jacket to stretch back to how it used to be, because as you may have noticed, the leather on it is pretty darn good. A hot shower with it on and then some pulling maybe can help
4) If I can't have #3 then yeah, maybe I am gonna have to look at finding a new home for it. But I fear the sleeves and body length no longer align so well

Just a thought: could those collar creases be from where the leather facing meets the lining?

Good shout Handy. Sometimes that is the case, but not this time. On this subject, now that it's tighter you can see the facings pushing through when I wear it. I've actually been wondering lately whether these are even necessary. The new aero workcoat doesn't have them, which has got me thinking

Last edited:

tonypaj

Practically Family
I'm hoping that it's just grown men indulging in some banter....

The British banter does not travel well, unfortunately. I've seen it all my life, and I'm not from the UK... Nor am I from France I just live here :)

As far as the jackets go, I think I have 4 Aeros now. Or those are the ones that I checked. The only one without creases is an old Connolly one. The creases do not bother me one bit, my body changes all the time, right now getting smaller, having gotten bigger before. I expect the creases to change, as well. With leather jackets there is no perfect fit for me.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
While I can only sympathize with Schitzo (I couldn't help but feel let down too if it was me-he has a jacket that is now probably unwearable) who has made his position more than clear, at the same time, I'll hold off from holding Aero accountable for any conscious wrongdoing. I say this because there are just too many things going on here.

Enough

One of the Regulars
Working in the field of stress and strain in materials for 30 years, what first comes to mind it tension induced buckling. Where would that tension come from? Looking at the fine close stitching I would guess that the stitching is very tight and as the leather is softening the tension in the stitching is drawing the panels in. The upper chest symmetric creases look to be a result of both the shoulder stitching and the arm stitching drawing in the softening leather. The back panels also seem to be affected by this same tight stitching overcoming the leather. The arms might be freed from this phenomenon due to the amount of flexing they receive from normal wear possibly loosening the stitching and reaching an equilibrium with the leather.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Working in the field of stress and strain in materials for 30 years, what first comes to mind it tension induced buckling. Where would that tension come from? Looking at the fine close stitching I would guess that the stitching is very tight and as the leather is softening the tension in the stitching is drawing the panels in. The upper chest symmetric creases look to be a result of both the shoulder stitching and the arm stitching drawing in the softening leather. The back panels also seem to be affected by this same tight stitching overcoming the leather. The arms might be freed from this phenomenon due to the amount of flexing they receive from normal wear possibly loosening the stitching and reaching an equilibrium with the leather.

The jacket is triple stitched, right?

robrinay

One Too Many
Could the 'tension induced buckling' be a result of the tension between shoulder movement and a nearly all the way up zipper slider perhaps on a wet or damp and drying jacket while being worn?

wdw

One Too Many
Ok, I admit to being an Aero fanboy, but I have good reason, for a number of reasons, but here's my tuppence worth anyway. Discount it if you want.

I have 4 FQHHs which, on checking, all have these collar/neck creases when lying flat. They've never been on hangers. I'd never even noticed before, presumably because they disappear when worn. I have a fifth FQHH which is too new, but I expect that will develop the same creases and I doubt if it will bother me any more than the others do.

I have a Wool HB with FQHH shoulders and I said earlier in this thread that it had these creases, but I assumed that it was because it had been on a hanger for months. Maybe that wasn't the reason, but again the creases are almost unnoticeable when worn.

I also have an FQHH Shackleton which obviously has no collar or sleeves, and that has no creases in the same area, despite being always on a hanger, for about 16 months now. That might tie in with what Enough says above about stitching on the collar and sleeves.

I suppose the issue now is if the creases are so noticeable when worn by Schitzo that he doesn't want to wear it any more. I look forward to the fit pics, and suspect the problem will be a lot less than he might fear and that it will still look great on him.

But we always go back to the old adage "if it doesn't feel right, just get rid of it". I've lost many hundreds of pounds that way, but I'd rather lose cash and end up with something I'm happy with.

Schitzo, whatever your next jacket is, I really hope it works well for you, and me and others will look forward to those fit pics too.

Last edited:

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here

I had wondered about this back on page 2. It would make perfect sense with this jacket, considering the amount of stitching with the back panels.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner