Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Side By Side/ Hat Comparisons

Alive'n'Amplified

Call Me a Cab
This comparison is between 3 hats that I made for myself. Each is unique in their own way. I purchased a few vintage hats when I first started collecting that I didn't like (I don't own them anymore), because they just didn't fit right. I am a Long Oval, so it's a treasure to find LO hats. However, the standard ovals don't always conform like some that I have. Thus, I gave my creative side a try and set out to make my own hat with the intention of a perfect fit.

As I grew my hat collection I started a parallel collection of hat blocks and flanges. First, a few in my size to renovate, re-block, and/or re-size vintage hats, and then the collection grew with other sizes, large and small. I scored a huge lot of blocks and flanges on eBay for a ridiculously low price, about 30 pieces, plus a cradle/stand, spinners, and various tools to get my interests into action.

I have a strong preference for '30s style fedoras: full crowns, wide ribbons, and taped sweatbands. The first hat I made was a walnut colored beaver felt, the Buffalo '35. The felt pounced really well, and it looked sort of vintage. The second pic really shows off how nice the felt is. Unfortunately, the third pic didn't come out that great. All in all, I absolutely love the 52 block I used. I'm very pleased with the rounded brim edge.

003acb3d-e8e8-4041-a55b-2e9cbfd327f5.jpg

6b82ea03-09b3-4616-aa8d-22a81f1f5441.jpg

ae5fdcc2-42b5-4cf2-ad87-a9a340b65a9c.jpg

My second hat is pretty special to me. I slowed down my process and spent more time working each step. I feel that it captures everything I wanted a custom hat to be. The color is silverbelly with a classic 2" black ribbon. I left the bottom right corner of the bow detached to give it some character. It is appropriately called, The Classic.

7758504d-a26d-4b86-8b45-90a3a2744ca4.jpg

5e08cf31-ee09-4929-b840-e7702b47e43f.jpg

fb987fbb-df99-4f40-a0a6-cd26b5c12ba5.jpg

The last addition to my collection is the silver mist colored Westbound'n'Down. My Stetson 3XB has a felt ribbon, so I didn't actually have hat with a thin grosgrain ribbon. I paid very close attention to the pouncing, and I made sure to finish the felt very smooth. The W'n'D came out exactly how I wanted it, specifically how it sits on my head, not too low. There isn't a ton of shellac in the felt (Winchester), so it has a very plush feel throughout.

740c33c3-aadd-4080-a2f9-acfc1beb4123.jpg

94aff165-e5cd-4b8d-b6d9-05a4a6110ab1.jpg

7f8de050-5e32-4170-88a0-4274a972fe2e.jpg

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
those are absolutely gorgeous A'n'A.... gorgeous !!!

I feel your passion through your descriptions

if you ever get the urge to make your boy moon a custom just let me know :)

a Wb'n'D would look great on my head :p

in all seriousness ... superb craftsmanship ... much respect due

:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Alive'n'Amplified

Call Me a Cab
those are absolutely gorgeous A'n'A.... gorgeous !!!

I feel your passion through your descriptions

if you ever get the urge to make your boy moon a custom just let me know :)

a Wb'n'D would look great on my head :p

in all seriousness ... superb craftsmanship ... much respect due

:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Thanks, moon. A W'n'D may well be in your future. :)

Bravo. Bravissimo A'n'A your hats are awesome. :)

Grazie amico mio! E un piacere di condividere con voi. :thumb:

Ana; Your attention to detail is excellent. The Classic is gorgeous, but the Down is a fav. Well done sir.

Best, Eric -

Well done A'n'A!

Indeed. Those are excellent lids. Kudos.

Really nice hats,AnA.

Thanks, fellas. I appreciate the sentiments! The "side by side" collection is one of my favorite threads; I'm happy to share these with you. Thanks to you and so many members of the 'Lounge for inspiring me to exhibit my creativity!!!

Very nice, AnA. I especially like the Classic - if I owned the three hats, that's the one I'd wear most.

Of the 3, I do wear the Classic the most. It has a distinct character with incredibly clean lines that really define the rest of my attire. I wanted it to be a statement. The positive comments I receive from friends, co-workers, customers, and even strangers reinforce my satisfaction.

Alive'n'Amplified

Call Me a Cab
Here are the interior shots for the Buffalo '35, The Classic, and the Westbound'n'Down, respectively. I fell in love with the taped sweatband of my '30s Cavanagh, so I kept the same design element in these hats.

cf5fc4d4-603b-4f10-8c33-6d83098d6e45.jpg

d9421f5e-00a3-4b80-a1f5-b98c4ce75310.jpg

08464541-16a8-40b8-964c-1c477595ba4b.jpg

40Cal

One Too Many
I'm new to posting but i have been enjoying seeing your creations for some time A and A . I have to say you make some beautiful hats!.... inside and out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24