Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Side By Side/ Hat Comparisons

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
When mucking about with the new hats I noticed how much the Penney's Marathon and Meister Filz were alike. So I decided to put them together and take a few shots. Aside from the obvious differences like the ribbon treatment and the crease, these hats are very much alike. The Penney's has slightly more taper to the crown and is a somewhat warmer grey. The Penney's is an excellent hat with fine finishing but the Meister Filz does even better. It's the Penney's on the right (with the shark gill bow).

View attachment 141003 View attachment 141004 View attachment 141005 View attachment 141006 View attachment 141007

Excellent. The Filz's felt pounce quality does show through on your pics. What a lovely hat. The side shots really do show the flange and crown block differences. Excellent pics. They are both grand vintage fedoras.

It strikes me this evening how nice the stitches on the ribbon work are. I have a modern Stetson sitting on my desk and in comparison it has horrible stitching.

I do really enjoy visiting this thread and spending time comparing the hats showcased. Thanks Steur and all!

Excellent. The Filz's felt pounce quality does show through on your pics. What a lovely hat. The side shots really do show the flange and crown block differences. Excellent pics. They are both grand vintage fedoras.

It strikes me this evening how nice the stitches on the ribbon work are. I have a modern Stetson sitting on my desk and in comparison it has horrible stitching.

I do really enjoy visiting this thread and spending time comparing the hats showcased. Thanks Steur and all!
Thanks, Eric. These comparisons are fun to do.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
The gray sky and a dusting of snow easily show the hues of my vintage Stetson Bantams this morning. (l-r: Blue, gray/green and a gray (leaning towards a charcoal hue)

i-rRGXBwh-M.jpg

i-qg9Hs9h-M.jpg

Thanks for taking a look. Best to all, Eric -

I promised you this earlier, but the weather wasn't cooperating. Here it is. When I was looking for velour hats to wear I stumbled upon my Cervo Super Princeps that Daniele found for me. I don't wear it nearly enough, because it's slightly tight on me. I did notice however that is resembled my Borsalino velour in Lupo colour. Let's see them side by side.

The Borsalino is on the right (which leaves the Cervo the left side obviously). They are very close in colour. Cervo calls the colour "Cardiff". The Borsalino seems a little fuller in colour and has more sheen to the felt, which is a bit fuller too.
A very similar shape to the crowns and a centimeter difference in the brims; raw edge for both of them, with the borsalino measuring 5,5cm and the Cervo 6,5cm.
Do I have a wolf pack from Wales on my hands here?

cervolupo_0.jpg
cervolupo_1.jpg
cervolupo_2.jpg
cervolupo_3.jpg
cervolupo_4.jpg
cervolupo_5.jpg
cervolupo_6.jpg

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
I agree with Steve that this thread is really enjoyable. Thanks for the recent contributions.

Cheers! Those are great pics showcasing your prized stiff hats. The variety of details in the different hats mirror that of what I see in on the pages of the vintage advertisements. Truly quite a gathering. Thanks for sharing.

I promised you this earlier, but the weather wasn't cooperating. Here it is. When I was looking for velour hats to wear I stumbled upon my Cervo Super Princeps that Daniele found for me. I don't wear it nearly enough, because it's slightly tight on me. I did notice however that is resembled my Borsalino velour in Lupo colour. Let's see them side by side.

The Borsalino is on the right (which leaves the Cervo the left side obviously). They are very close in colour. Cervo calls the colour "Cardiff". The Borsalino seems a little fuller in colour and has more sheen to the felt, which is a bit fuller too.
A very similar shape to the crowns and a centimeter difference in the brims; raw edge for both of them, with the borsalino measuring 5,5cm and the Cervo 6,5cm.
Do I have a wolf pack from Wales on my hands here?

View attachment 148669 View attachment 148670 View attachment 148671 View attachment 148672 View attachment 148673 View attachment 148674 View attachment 148675

Velour pics are grand! They really do make you want to reach out and touch them. When I wear a quality cashmere sweater the same thing. Thanks for sharing Side-By-Sides of your impressive hat squadron Steur.

ofcoursemyhorse

Practically Family
It's a really unique sweatband, it does have somewhat of a suede finish. Its paper thin and easily the softest sweatband on any of my hats. Its also suffered zero issues over the years. Both the sweatband and the stitches attaching to the hat feel sturdy enough to have been installed yesterday.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
It's a really unique sweatband, it does have somewhat of a suede finish. Its paper thin and easily the softest sweatband on any of my hats. Its also suffered zero issues over the years. Both the sweatband and the stitches attaching to the hat feel sturdy enough to have been installed yesterday.

That is a grand sweat! Your 100+ year old leather sweat is a testament to high quality being the premier value in an item. Glorious hats sir.

I agree with Steve that this thread is really enjoyable. Thanks for the recent contributions.

Cheers! Those are great pics showcasing your prized stiff hats. The variety of details in the different hats mirror that of what I see in on the pages of the vintage advertisements. Truly quite a gathering. Thanks for sharing.

Velour pics are grand! They really do make you want to reach out and touch them. When I wear a quality cashmere sweater the same thing. Thanks for sharing Side-By-Sides of your impressive hat squadron Steur.
Thanks, Eric. I'll try to do some more of these. Just have to get the candidates together.

Two American made long hair finishes. H. Bamberger and Co. is more than likely early 1900's and the Paragon looks like a late 40's/ early 50's.

Paragon is on the left and is a much more solid black than the Bamberger which has the occasional flecks of white hair mixed in.

View attachment 149038 View attachment 149039 View attachment 149040
Wonderful hats and nice to seen them side by side. These older hats do grow on you for some reason and it's always hard to resist a nice velour or longhair.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
I took a newly cleaned and "spruced up" vintage Stetson Playboy in pine green out for a dog walk. I have not seen many Playboys in this felt hue. The "pine" green hue is a fav of mine. I am very pleased to be able to have it on my hat rack.

i-635WSFb-M.jpg

This is one of the early Playboys, 30-early 40's, as identified by the soft reeded "wide" leather sweat and fonts.

i-DdFKkqh-M.jpg

The stitching on the brim edge is excellent. The liner, while showing fading and some patina from use is clean as can be and still shows the distinct printing from liners of that era. "Pine " was the felt hue as listed in the magazine advertisements in the day.

i-3BK4qTq-M.jpg

I took some comparison pics with a vtg. Stetson Stratoliner in pine green. The Stratoliner is a late 40's-50's hat. The reeding and the quality of leather sweat are different. The blocking is nearly the same when the hats are brought to open crown.

i-sQ2TttR-M.jpg

i-MBTPHX3-M.jpg

i-r3MXHxg-M.jpg

The most obvious differences of the ribbon and edge treatment are still fun to seem in comparision as they are both executed well and with quality.

i-MBTPHX3-M.jpg

i-9Zv4Xs8-M.jpg

Cheers for pine hued vintage Stetsons! Thanks for allowing me to share these couple of unique hats.

Best, Eric -

I took a newly cleaned and "spruced up" vintage Stetson Playboy in pine green out for a dog walk. I have not seen many Playboys in this felt hue. The "pine" green hue is a fav of mine. I am very pleased to be able to have it on my hat rack.

i-635WSFb-M.jpg

This is one of the early Playboys, 30-early 40's, as identified by the soft reeded "wide" leather sweat and fonts.

i-DdFKkqh-M.jpg

The stitching on the brim edge is excellent. The liner, while showing fading and some patina from use is clean as can be and still shows the distinct printing from liners of that era. "Pine " was the felt hue as listed in the magazine advertisements in the day.

i-3BK4qTq-M.jpg

I took some comparison pics with a vtg. Stetson Stratoliner in pine green. The Stratoliner is a late 40's-50's hat. The reeding and the quality of leather sweat are different. The blocking is nearly the same when the hats are brought to open crown.

i-sQ2TttR-M.jpg

i-MBTPHX3-M.jpg

i-r3MXHxg-M.jpg

The most obvious differences of the ribbon and edge treatment are still fun to seem in comparision as they are both executed well and with quality.

i-MBTPHX3-M.jpg

i-9Zv4Xs8-M.jpg

Cheers for pine hued vintage Stetsons! Thanks for allowing me to share these couple of unique hats.

Best, Eric -
Excellent comparison, Eric. Two lovely hats side by side and a good thread bumped up again. Thanks for that!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko