Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Side By Side/ Hat Comparisons

John,

Is the Borso a new model Allessandria? It appears to have a full untapered crown, nice color too. I would say the Borso would be considered "dressier" and the CD more rugged based on the felting.

job

One Too Many
Perry, I bought the Alessandria last year.
Hatco does not make hats as nice as this Borsalino and probably has not in 60 to 70 years.

Landman

One Too Many
job,

Nice comparison. I have the exact same two hats and agree with everything you posted.

I have two complaints about the Borso. Like you mentioned, when you snap the front brim down it is too low. My other complaint is I don't like the metal clip that holds the wind trolley button on. The clip on mine is rather shiny and noticeable.

The Campdraft is, in my opinion, the best new production hat on the market for that price. I can be pretty tough on my everyday work hats and the Campdraft handles it well. I wish they would make one in a silverbelly color similar to a Stetson silverbelly. Black would be nice too.

Landman

One Too Many
job,

After reading your post yesterday I got my Borso out and decided to try and do something about the excessive curl to the brim. I lightly sprayed it with water and with low heat ironed it as flat as I could get it. It still has a slight curl too it but now when I snap it down it is perfect. It doesn't hang down so far that you have to tilt the hat back to see.

Landman

One Too Many
Thanks for the info but I would be afraid to mess around with the flanging of this hat.

No problem and I understand. It was pretty easy to do though. I have done it on several other hats too. I purchased one of those small vintage traveling irons off of EBay and it works great for hats. Just keep it on a low setting.

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Indy Hat Face Off - Penman vs Adventurebilt

While I've still not seen an Indiana Jones film, I'm a fan of Indy's hats - especially the Chrystal Skull style.

I was lucky enough to be able to get hold of a grey hat in this style from Steve Delk at Adventurebilt last year. As most Loungers are aware, Steve and his partner Marc made the hats for the movie so this would be a sought after hat for Indy fans. I also ordered a similar style hat from John Penman last summer, this time in the fantastic Black Cherry felt. The Penman arrived a few weeks ago and I've been wearing it a lot.

John always modestly says that Steve makes the best hat, but how do the two really compare?

D31_8258-L.jpg

First of all the blocking of the hats is very similar. I know Steve helped John get started in this business, and the Penman blocks look to to a mighty fine job as well. I'm not an expert on how authentic either hat looks - to me they both look great.

The felt is very different though. Both hats use Winchester's beaver bodies and the Penman is by far the softer of the two and feels lighter in weight as well. The Adventurebilt (Granite felt) was rather stiff when it arrived but has softened up with use.

front-L.jpg

profile-L.jpg

You can see from these shots that the front view and profile of both hats is nicely done.

ribbon-L.jpg

No question that the ribbon work is better on the Penman. Each hat has a slightly different design, but you can see in the closer photo that there is a little fraying of the ribbon on the Adventurebilt and it just isn't quite as nicely finished as the Penman.

liner-L.jpg

The interior of both hats is first class. I believe each of these hatmakers does everything 100% by hand, including every stitch - Excellent work by Steve and John. At some point, Steve had to change the liner and I prefer the one on his earlier hats. I think this was because of a copyright issue with Lucas Film. Oddly the original Adventurebilt liner (or one very much like it) is currently used by David Garrision in his Indy hats.

sweatband-L.jpg

So if want a fantastic Crystal Skull hat, which is the best to get? For a serious Indy fan, having Steve Delk's signature inside the sweatband would probably ensure you go with the Adventurebilt - yes, Steve is still taking orders so you can get one if you want. The Penman is a fantastic hat though - at least as good as the AB and better in a couple of respects.

Alive'n'Amplified

Call Me a Cab
SUPER!!! I was JUST thinking about this thread the other day, wondering when someone would post another comparison. :)

Thanks, David. Can't wait to pull up in my chair and read this fine article. :thumb:

Alive'n'Amplified

Call Me a Cab
Both are just sublime, but the Adventurebilt wins my heart, for sure! This was a treat, David. Thanks for the write up. This thread is terrific; it's like a brief newspaper article or short story. Each episode reels you in!! :thumb:

You should have a movie marathon with the wife and watch the Indy movies. The first 3, at least. :)

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Thanks guys, this was a fun comparison to do. Both Steve and John make fantastic hats.

Manfred - of course in Germany you have your own great Indy hat maker - Marc Kitter. I don't see me ever getting a hat from him, but it would be great to compare one with the Delk and Penman.

AnA - yes, I must watch the films at some point. If you are an Indy fan I can see why you'd be drawn the Adventurebilt. Very cool to be able to get a hat from the same guy that made the hats for the last film.

I'm not sure I can pull off the AB look like Ford in this still, but I'm trying...

109.jpg

job

One Too Many
I just received two 100% linen newsboy caps. The photos are fresh out of the box. I believe I will have some steaming/shaping to do.
On the left is a Luigi Baroni of Italy and on the right is a City Sport of Belgium.

linencapcompare001_zpsc1211981.jpg

linencapcompare002_zpsd4fe4ebd.jpg

linencapcompare003_zps622e7055.jpg

linencapcompare007_zpsec1326d9.jpg

linencapcompare004_zps9862a8c2.jpg

linencapcompare005_zps21824d59.jpg

Both brims are sewn to the upper fabric. There is a slight difference in the fabric as you can see.
The Baroni has a satin liner and a grosgrain sweat and the City Sport has a mesh liner and a sweat that may be cotton. Also the mesh is attached behind the sweat.

linencapcompare006_zps2f6f51d5.jpg

These are very different styles of Linen Newsboy caps for sure.
I see the smaller one being the best one on hot windy days and the other anytime.

linencapcompare008_zps6a6255f5.jpg

linencapcompare009_zps9f7dca7c.jpg

Attachments

• linencapcompare003_zps622e7055.jpg
    linencapcompare003_zps622e7055.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 366
  • linencapcompare007_zpsec1326d9.jpg
    linencapcompare007_zpsec1326d9.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 365
Last edited:

job

One Too Many
Thanks Chepstow and Bond,
The luigi Baroni was listed online as being tan and the City Sport as Beige. Both are natural. I guess saying tan or beige give a person an ideal of what to expect. I thought there would be some difference in color. I'm fine with having them both bring natural since the styles are not the same.
The Luigi Baroni is around 8-9" across and the City Sport is around 10-11".

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
farmerboy