Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Side By Side/ Hat Comparisons

2 Early Stratoliners

Here are two Stratoliners from the early 1940s... so similar, yet with a couple of subtle differences that make them interesting to discuss.

oldstrats4.jpg

oldstrats2.jpg

The darker one I've had for a while, the lighter one is a Vita-Felt process just acquired. According to trademark records, Stetson lists the first use of "Vita-Felt" to July, 1940. They record their first mention of Stratoliner in commerce as April of the same year.

oldstrats3.jpg

Both hats are lightweight unlined hats... likely among the earliest variations on this iconic Stetson theme. Both hats are identical in weight at 2.8 ounces (79 grams). The Vita-Felt feels slightly thicker and softer. The body in the other is thinner and more densely felted. These differences are very subtle. The fibers in the Vita-Felt hat can be loosened with abrasion and are no match for hungry moth larvae. Whatever the mystery process or composition of Vita-Felt, it does not match the quality of Stetson's standard felt of the day. Still, I think it is very difficult to tell them apart in the photos.

oldstrats5.jpg

oldstrats6.jpg

oldstrats7.jpg

Dimensions (5" crown, 2 1/2+" brim) and ribbon details are identical. I gave the new Vita-Felt a diamond crease so I could tell them apart. The glued embroidered crown labels are colored different but otherwise the same. They are substantial and can be felt through the lightweight felt.

oldstrats8.jpg

The sweatbands are different. The Vita-Felt uses the buttery soft natural leather that I also have in my c.1940 Playboy. The other uses a more rigid leather with an embossed grain. Both have sporty colored sweatband ribbons that seemed to be popular in inexpensive lightweights from this era.

oldstrats9.jpg

Unfortunately, the darker Strat is missing its size tag. But if it were there, I'm guessing it would be black/manila as on David's very similar example. The Vita-Felt has the earlier gold printed label. It also has the last variation of Stetson's 3 panel manufacturing label, which replaced the wider three panel label in the late 1930s and is gone in favor of a single field label with just the block# stamped sometime in the early 1940s.

oldstrats10.jpg

I am guessing the Vita-Felt Strat to be an early example, made in 1940-1941 during the first production year of the Stratoliner... the other, later, 1942-43. But I could be wrong too. ;)

Thanks, Randall... I always wanted to be a sleuth. Now I have enough hats to do the wardrobe, anyway.

One last feature... the sweatband LOTXXXX stamp appears on the Vita-Felt hat and not on the other. More on the sweat stamp timeline unified theory here.

vitastrat9.jpg

m0nk

One Too Many
Very nice comparisons Alan! I've really enjoyed this thread.... one of these days I'm going to get enough time to sit down with two and do one myself...

Alive'n'Amplified

Call Me a Cab
Steve - Terrific triplets!! Thank you for sharing.

Alan - Great post! This is a great thread, probably my favorite on the 'Lounge; I really enjoy the contrasts and comparisons.

I'm glad you are enjoying this thread... I hope we can get many more posts. There are some incredible hat collections out there with good stories to tell.

delectans

Call Me a Cab
Bravo, Steve and Alan on your well-written and beautifully photographed comparisons. The German trio and American duo are music for the eyes.

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Great Stratoliner post, Alan. It is really cool how we can piece together the forgotten history of what were once common brands.

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I read a couple of Brian Greene books partly about that. I was delighted to be informed about such a small world. But you know, I don't even think he wears a hat, so I don't know how far to trust him.

Alan, Thanks! For some reason I forgot to include the "Elastic" model. Great old Stetson Stratoliner comparison!

Randall, AnA, Al, Thanks!

Jeff, Thanks! Yes a lost art.

Last edited:

job

One Too Many
I'm going to compare two new production hats that share a certain style but are very different in all other ways.
My Akubra Campdraft in silverbelly and a Borsalino Alessandria in light grey. Both hats come in open crown.
The Campdraft is made in Akubras imperial grade felt which is a bit stiff and a little larger than the Borso.
The amount of flange on the Campdraft is little where the Alessandria has a lot. When I wear the Borso I tilt it back or I would not be able to see.
The felt on the Borso is light weight and is shapeable without steam.
The Campdraft has a reeded sweatband where the Alessandria has a non reeded sweat.
I would have to say that the Borso is the most comfortable hat I have because of the light conforming felt and the lack of a reed. The Borsalino costs about twice as much as the Akubra.

DSCN2012.jpg
DSCN2013.jpg
DSCN2022.jpg
DSCN2023.jpg

The Alessandria
DSCN2016.jpg

DSCN2019.jpg
DSCN2020.jpg

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads