Side Laces on Motorcycle Jacket?

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by user290389023, May 8, 2019.

1. Motorbass

Motorbass Familiar Face

It depends. They looks horrific on some jackets and great on others the Cal-leather CHP comes to mind. As it is overall a rather minimal design for a cross-zip the tangling leather cords of the laces do not really disturb. On some Langlitz or Vanson they looks a bit over the top. Somebody described them on the Vanson Extreme as "corsett" which kinda nails it. Below some images of my Cal-leather CHP.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

2. Superfluous

Superfluous My Mail is Forwarded Here

[​IMG]

HoosierDaddy likes this.
  3. user290389023

user290389023 New in Town

Jesus Christ thats a nice jacket. Is it Cal Leather?

4. Motorbass

Motorbass Familiar Face

Yes. Probably 1960ies [​IMG]

5. Edward

Edward Bartender

Corset is what coems to mind for me - I've worn a few of those over the years in Rocky Horror fandom - though in away this is the opposite. These laces seem to be about moulding the jacket to the body dhape, whereas the point of a corset is, of course, to shape the body to the corset.

Guppy likes this.
  6. user290389023

Is that Horsehide or extremely thicc cowhide?

Last edited: May 11, 2019
  7. Guppy

Guppy My Mail is Forwarded Here

1960s Cal Leather jackets are something next-level.

JMax and AbbaDatDeHat like this.
  8. Motorbass

Motorbass Familiar Face

It's not market in regards of the leather. Afaik Cal-leather primarely used Horsehide for the CHP jackets in the 60ies. It also has the hand of Horsehide.

9. ton312

ton312

The laces as I mentioned before help tailor the fit. The model E uses the corset laces to allow the midsection to be drawn in while the hip slightly flares. It’s a longer jacket than the Cal LAPD which typically sits very short and above the belt. I never cared for that look personally despite the jackets being made from incredible HH and having more than adequate sleeve length. If my belt is showing, for me, that’s a problem. Clever camouflage shirt wearing grows tiresome and when I did ride I preferred the action back of a Vanson.
    Apologies for the horrible denim featured below.
    E07B908B-2602-4F6E-A631-C7E5A01D0AD5.jpeg C5DF2622-A624-46FB-BF16-AE807235F6BF.jpeg
    50’s era CAL: (sitting a good 1.5” above my belt) but hidden by undershirt.
    1FB476E5-C41F-460D-B2E3-240E65BCCBB7.jpeg

10. user290389023

Looks nice! But zip the ends, imo looks 1000 times better..

11. user290389023

Also how heavy is that jacket?
    1,3mm? 1,4mm? 1,5mm?? It looks super thick but maybe its just the stiff horsehide...

12. Motorbass

Motorbass Familiar Face

I actually don't know, but the jacket is very (very!) Heavy. My guess would be 1.5mm

13. Bahabp100

Bahabp100 A-List Customer

Where do you guys get replacement side laces if one rips or gets lost ?

14. stmike

stmike One of the Regulars

I've been to shoe repair shops that carry leather lacing.

15. feltfan

feltfan My Mail is Forwarded Here

Haven't looked at this thread for a while.
    I have a Johnson that was made for me around 25 years ago. Yes, people ask if it is "vintage", and it is...
    but also made for me... You can see pictures somewhere around here and I promise more pics soon.
    When Alan first measured me he counseled that I leave a little extra room so it would still fit years later.
    I explained that I had no plans to gain that much weight... Well it turns out of course that he was right
    (and it's not just fat- the body changes... but a lot of it is fat).

Point is, in all that time I have never set out to re-adjust the laces for a better fit. It's a pretty flexible setup I guess.
    I think I'd be just as good with wire or knotted leather that I could not adjust. As some have suggested, a strap with
    a buckle (a la half belts) would be just as good, and tidier, if that is what you are looking for.

16. Fifty150

Fifty150 Practically Family

That is a jacket made for carrying a gun, on a Sam Brown belt. The stitched on belt keepers attach the Sam Brown belt to the jacket. If you are sitting on a motorcycle, it allows the duty belt with all of the equipment to ride in a comfortable position.

In the old days, bike jackets had kidney pads. The laces helped cinch them down. Motorcycles had engines which bolted directly onto the frame of the bike frame, without rubber motor mounts. The bike frame also had a hard tail suspension. Combine that with bad roads, and supposedly you needed a kidney pad on your jacket, cinched down tight, or risk health problems. I don't know. I'm not that old. But I do remember Harleys with rigid, hard tail frames, without rubber motor mounts.

17. navetsea

navetsea I'll Lock Up

hard to believe a kidney panel is designed as solution to ride hard tail. I think a better solution is just bend over a bit so your whole body flex together as suspension and not sitting vertically on your spine.

18. jonbuilder

jonbuilder Call Me a Cab

Custom-fit does no adjust for layering, weight changes, or how tight of fit desired for the purpose. I want a tighter fit riding a motorcycle than riding in a car.

roadking04 likes this.
  19. ton312

ton312

I do too! In fact I have one parked in my garage. :)
    2AE80F08-B55B-40DC-BAAA-76A0603F54FA.jpeg
    No amount of clothing or support can protect your back from a rigid. Not a long distance machine. Bar hopping at its finest though.

jonbuilder, navetsea, TREEMAN and 3 others like this.
  20. roadking04

roadking04 Practically Family

Rock on!

jonbuilder and ton312 like this.