Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Simmons Bilt Roadster Size 44 Clayton Smooth Horse

MRB1248

Familiar Face
Good day to all. I recently purchased a Simmons Bilt Roadster in Clayton Smooth Horse. It is a dark chocolate brown with a Loccharan Thompson wool lining. I love the jacket, but just a touch too small for me in the chest. If you ride, shouldn't be a problem, but I have a Jeep and seems too tight for looking around while off roading. Has not even been worn out of the house and still has tags. I would like to sell to help pay for its replacement which should be on its way soon.

Particulars are:
Pit to pit - 24"
Back - 25.5"
Sleeves -25"
Shoulders - 20"

It has button cuffs rather than barrel and no inside pocket, just the hand warmers and breast pocket.

Asking $650.

Attachments

• IMG_0196.JPG
    IMG_0196.JPG
    113.3 KB · Views: 1,727
  • FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 1,286
  • FullSizeRender4.jpg
    FullSizeRender4.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 1,324
  • FullSizeRender5.jpg
    FullSizeRender5.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 1,151

Pdawg

One of the Regulars
Good day to all. I recently purchased a Simmons Bilt Roadster in Clayton Smooth Horse. It is a dark chocolate brown with a Loccharan Thompson wool lining. I love the jacket, but just a touch too small for me in the chest. If you ride, shouldn't be a problem, but I have a Jeep and seems too tight for looking around while off roading. Has not even been worn out of the house and still has tags. I would like to sell to help pay for its replacement which should be on its way soon.

Particulars are:
Pit to pit - 24"
Back - 25.5"
Sleeves -25"
Shoulders - 20"

It has button cuffs rather than barrel and no inside pocket, just the hand warmers and breast pocket.

Asking $650.
How do you like the leather? And what did you order as a replacement....

I would be interested but it is too big unfortunately.

MRB1248

Familiar Face
And how does the clayton compare vs your other leathers?
PDawg,
Sorry for the late response. Been a little hectic here in NY.
The leather is much stiffer than my FQHH from Aero, but my Aero is now a couple seasons old. I don't know how this will break in, but it feels really substantial. It definitely has more finished look to it, and doesn't feel oily. One thing I do like is it shows more grain. My Aero is really consistent and smooth.

MRB1248

Familiar Face
The button cuffs are a nice touch.
Thank you. The one thing that caught me was the option from Simmons on putting on snaps. I wouldn't have thought that they would do that on a higher end jacket, but I've seen them on Aero's and one other brand also. Who knew?

MRB1248

Familiar Face
How do you like the leather? And what did you order as a replacement....

I would be interested but it is too big unfortunately.
PDAWG,
Sorry these are out of order. Seems my phone's a little backwards...or I just don't know how to use it yet.
I ordered the exact same thing, just a little larger in the chest. Yes, I like it that much. And as I said before, the leather looks really finished. I don't know if it'll handle weather as much as my Aero since the leather doesn't seem to have as much oil, but I guess at some point i will find out.

Pdawg

One of the Regulars
PDAWG,
Sorry these are out of order. Seems my phone's a little backwards...or I just don't know how to use it yet.
I ordered the exact same thing, just a little larger in the chest. Yes, I like it that much. And as I said before, the leather looks really finished. I don't know if it'll handle weather as much as my Aero since the leather doesn't seem to have as much oil, but I guess at some point i will find out.
Yes, it looks great from the pictures and i think because it is veg tanned versus cxl. I do love the look of it!

Pdawg

One of the Regulars
Thanks for posting....i did want to see the clayton veg tanned horse! Did you get any other swatches?

MRB1248

Familiar Face
Thanks for posting....i did want to see the clayton veg tanned horse! Did you get any other swatches?
I got a ton! Debs sent me everything from CXL HH to goat. I don't know how the goat was tanned, but it was buttery soft. I little too soft for a jacket I will be wearing while hanging off the side of my Jeep, but it was nice. There was also bison, but that was a little too grainy out of the gate for me. I did like the weight of it, and I've had bison boots before which took a ton of abuse before my wife told I couldn't wear them in public anymore.
The one I wasn't crazy about was, no pun intended, was the Crazy Steer. It was just strange with the waxy feel and what I think the right term is pull up. Every move made it change colors, which while might be cool for some, not for me.

Pdawg

One of the Regulars
I got a ton! Debs sent me everything from CXL HH to goat. I don't know how the goat was tanned, but it was buttery soft. I little too soft for a jacket I will be wearing while hanging off the side of my Jeep, but it was nice. There was also bison, but that was a little too grainy out of the gate for me. I did like the weight of it, and I've had bison boots before which took a ton of abuse before my wife told I couldn't wear them in public anymore.
The one I wasn't crazy about was, no pun intended, was the Crazy Steer. It was just strange with the waxy feel and what I think the right term is pull up. Every move made it change colors, which while might be cool for some, not for me.
Hopefully, you can sell this beautiful jacket. I like that you can see the grain and i think it does have some oils in it from what i read just not as much as ct or cxl.

Yeah i am not a super big fan of pullup leather. I am interested in also the vintage clayton horse, but not really sure if i like the natural color splotching on it. And i might be interested in the italian vegtan horse or steer.

MRB1248

Familiar Face
Hopefully, you can sell this beautiful jacket. I like that you can see the grain and i think it does have some oils in it from what i read just not as much as ct or cxl.

Yeah i am not a super big fan of pullup leather. I am interested in also the vintage clayton horse, but not really sure if i like the natural color splotching on it. And i might be interested in the italian vegtan horse or steer.

It's been good in the rain, but otherwise I am not a huge fan. And like you, I looked at the vintage Clayton, but I wanted something a little more uniform to start. But it is a lot softer than the regular Clayton. But part of the fun of owning one of these jackets is the break in period, right?

Pdawg

One of the Regulars
It's been good in the rain, but otherwise I am not a huge fan. And like you, I looked at the vintage Clayton, but I wanted something a little more uniform to start. But it is a lot softer than the regular Clayton. But part of the fun of owning one of these jackets is the break in period, right?
Yeah i just think the smooth appears to be a nice leather :).

Pdawg

One of the Regulars
I did request samples which should be coming soon and they also have some new leathers coming soon too. I also have samples coming from aero as well. I have a lot of various leathers including horween veg tan and cxl products already like shoes, wallets, belts and bags. I pefer vegtan with some oils like bridle or harness and prefer the stiffness of horse for a jacket. And i am not a fan of the artificial aging like tumbled or vintage.

MRB1248

Familiar Face
That is a beautiful jacket, man. A heck of a good price, too. Sadly, it's not my size. I am surprised it's still up for sale.
Thanks. I like it so much I just bought a slightly bigger one.

I think the size is the issue. It's a little big from what I've seen on here. I think the 38's and 40's go quickly, but when you get into the meathead sizes...well...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran