Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Simon Cathcart Ellington trousers- used?

BigBrother

One of the Regulars
I have been in love with their Ellington trousers forever now and was planning to get a pair when I just saw that they changed their lineup, including the material in which these are available. I am very sad. I was wondering if anyone has an older pair in 30 or 32 or has any advice as to where to find one. (Boy am I kicking myself now for not picking them up during the summer sale! I didn’t realize they change their lineup so dramatically.)

The old ones, for reference, can be seen here:

https://thechap.co.uk/2020/11/20/get-the-look-the-hep-cat/

Thanks!

BigBrother

One of the Regulars
Too bad the SJCforum is now defunct. There was a buy/sell section for SJC goods.
I know!!! Someone on FB recommended I try there. I very very vaguely recalled seeing it once. Puttered about the SJC site for a bit without luck, then googled and found it. And responded to the poster: defunct :(.

Edward

Bartender
Simon shut the forum down a few months ago as with the brand taking off he just didn't have the time to engage with it any longer. A shame, but that's how it goes: all things must pass. Did you try the SJC facebook page? Could be worth dropping them a line to see what they have in the works as well. I'm hoping myself that over time they are able to keep more 'core' models in the range, as I myself do tend to find things I like and want to stick with them, replacing when worn out, rather than moving with fashion or buying different for differences' sake.

regius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
So funny! I’m wearing this por today right now. There is o e distinct problem with the Ellington though, the distance between two fly buttons is too large!! It’s as good as no button and just let it all hang out….

mine are 36, but tailored to 34, if you want them I’ll sell

Attachments

• DD3F3BAC-978B-46CA-A3FC-46376F80BCEB.jpeg
    DD3F3BAC-978B-46CA-A3FC-46376F80BCEB.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 203

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Thanks for the reference, @handymike as that was a lucky coincidence. I'll be able to help out BigBrother as I'm unloading most of my collection due to moving house to a location where I mostly need other types of clothes. Alpine mountains.

I lost quite a few contacts that I had through the SJC forum when it shut down; only with some of the members I had previously switched from PMs to actual email or WA.

Anyone else recognizing me here (Nik on the SJC forum) who is my size (36-38" chest, 30-31" waist), feel free to contact me. Original 20s-40s vintage of all categories and a bit of SJC stuff, unloading over the next few months.

Cheers,
Nik

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Oh and regarding the Ellingtons, it's worth pointing out that although SJC kept the basic look throughout the years, there are still differences between seasons/ year to year. So not all Ellington releases are alike. I think that in naming the trouser models Simon meant to use the recognition value, but still took the liberty to change some details (or in some cases maybe the factories did) as each season was released.

BigBrother

One of the Regulars
Indeed indeed, thanks @handymike ! I had intended to tell everyone what a success this was once I made a purchase. I’m really excited.

@Rabbit which season were the ones I linked to? I assume last fall/winter, given when I discovered them, but did they last longer than that? Do these indeed rotate every year? Etc. etc. etc. Thanks!

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
I think SJC started using the name Ellington in the fall/winter 2018 season, but I could be wrong. I didn't keep a record of what was released each season from 2018 on.
The ones you linked to in The Chap were 2018, I think. And I believe he re-released Ellingtons for at least two consecutive years after that.

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
I think I got it.
The first Ellingtons were the cotton twill terracotta released in summer 2018 (the ones that you've seen in my IG, @BigBrother ). Then came the grey wool ones but those first ones (winter 2018) were a wool mix. Then next summer it was cotton twill in jade green, khaki I think and navy probably. I got the jade. After that not sure what became of the wool mixture but I think eventually SJC settled on pure wool and that was probably a worsted flannel (not wool flannel), given the lighter weight of these.

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
You see worsted flannel can be made in any weight down to roughly 10-11oz these days while wool flannel still needs to be at least 13oz, better yet 14oz in order for the mill to get proper cloth out of it.

BigBrother

One of the Regulars
To be honest, I could probably just Internet Archive the page and determine exactly how long those exact grays existed. About to do just that…

BigBrother

One of the Regulars
Well, fortunately or unfortunately, they only seem to have snapshots from exactly around when I found (fell in love with :)) these, and the description states:

“A comfortable 14oz wool/rayon blend means a hard wearing Winter trouser that can be paired with knits and any coloured sports jacket you wish. They come unhemmed with a 36" inseam so regardless of your leg length you can obtain the perfect personal length. We suggest a 2" turnup.”

So it seems as though the wool mix was the standard (?) Which also might mean they’ll come back next fall, I gather. But who knows?

Tommy-VF51

A-List Customer
I had some of the 2019 cotton ones, I had to size up from a 34 to a 38, to make them fit on the thighs (but mine are very big) and the side adjusters were useless. However I gather they improved, as I hope did the cotton they used which would crumble like tin foil as soon as you put them on.

I belive the grading issues like above, were improved upon. As, largely have the QC problems that they used to have.

Polo's, especially the last few years, are a very different experience. Knitwear is good too, if variable in quality.

Also the Made in England range looks much better. Alex, the man modeling them is heavily involved in the London Vintage Community and seems to wear his a lot

Although, that said, flannels are not the hardest thing to find vintage.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112