Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Simple Cossack Jacket Suggestions

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
I'm still in search for one. I've owned a couple of nice ones, but there are so many out there. No idea what to recommend. The Badass cowhide on the BK was just too stiff for my taste.

I still keep my eye out for an original, but they are scarce.

Himel Heron-shinki
DSC08274.JPG

Bill Kelso-Baddass Cowhide

DSC08653.JPG
DSC08665.JPG

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
i think it is more about that triangle side panel with side adjuster thing that make cossack a cossack maybe... just my own understanding after googling about it for several days. the collar can be shawl can be anything

carl_c

Familiar Face
the Mister freedom Jacket is by far the better of 3 of the 4 you listed here, I've had both the MF Campus and the LVC Einstein.. The MF Campus is far and away the better choice.
The Himel will be made to measure so you can be sure of the fit. price is an obstacle for sure, but buy a quality jacket & pay once and have it forever.
I don't know the Taylor stitch of which you speak but, but I would imagine its mass produced, imported, lesser leather and lesser quality construction.

An "Aeromarine" from Aero is another option as you'll get to pick your measurements and choose your leather and color. all in all a good value for the money.

Bill Kelso makes one as well.. long wait times though if you go direct. American Classics in London has a few in stock if you got some cash to hand..

https://www.americanclassicslondon.com/collections/bill-kelso

could you give more details on lvc vs mf? I have the mf stallion and I kept my eyes open for lvc (brown one) official reissue or owner's resale. it's very useful to get some information from someone who own both.

Boyo

Call Me a Cab
could you give more details on lvc vs mf? I have the mf stallion and I kept my eyes open for lvc (brown one) official reissue or owner's resale. it's very useful to get some information from someone who own both.

@carl_c to begin I’m not the best to ask for specifics when comparing a jacket, I can’t tell you which had the higher stitch count or thicker leather. My opinion is based on how the jacket felt in hand and when on.
I had the original natural campus, not the stallion but I assume the two jackets are the same other that the black top coat. the MF jacket was executed better And it seemed the dimensions and overall shape of the jacket look/work better while wearing the jacket.
The LVC Einstein while the overall construction was good, after maybe 2 or 3 wears the buttons looked as if they were unraveling, and I sent the jacket to Great Leathers to have them all sewn on tighter. The jacket fits long in the body, and the leather (for as long as I had it) was pretty dull & flat.
I don’t have either anymore, the campus was too small in their largest size, and the LVC wasn’t worth having if I didn’t love it. Here is a picture of both jackets from the WJAYWT thread.

03BBCA39-5836-4735-B081-14495A6FB7CC.jpeg
4C5A09C1-7BB8-45B6-BEE2-F8648A4AED0C.jpeg

Last edited:

l0fielectronic

Practically Family
I've got both of the earlier LVC Menlo mentioned and the Einstein one.

I love the look of the Mr Freedom Campus but from the measurements, photos and fit of it I know it wouldn't work for me. Mostly the length.

Agree the earlier Levis Menlo isn't anything super special, I have the black version which, I think, was maybe buffalo. The retail price of that one was somewhere bwtween a half and a third of the price of the two others mentioned here though so thats probably understandable.

i'm really happy with the Einstein I have, the main thing for me with it is that its unlined. Means it works for a few of months a year when its too warm for a lined jacket.

It is a slightly boxy fitting jacket, I kind of like it for that and the fact it doesn't feel too 'showy' when worn.

LVC also did a really nice cotton version, suedette, they called it, the cut of that one was more fitted. Can see one of those here

https://vintagehaberdashers.com/2015/01/24/levis-vintage-clothing-homerun-moleskin-worker-jacket/

carl_c

Familiar Face
@carl_c to begin I’m not the best to ask for specifics when comparing a jacket, I can’t tell you which had the higher stitch count or thicker leather. My opinion is based on how the jacket felt in hand and when on.
I had the original natural campus, not the stallion but I assume the two jackets are the same other that the black top coat. the MF jacket was executed better And it seemed the dimensions and overall shape of the jacket look/work better while wearing the jacket.
The LVC Einstein while the overall construction was good, after maybe 2 or 3 wears the buttons looked as if they were unraveling, and I sent the jacket to Great Leathers to have them all sewn on tighter. The jacket fits long in the body, and the leather (for as long as I had it) was pretty dull & flat.
I don’t have either anymore, the campus was too small in their largest size, and the LVC wasn’t worth having if I didn’t love it. Here is a picture of both jackets from the WJAYWT thread.

View attachment 259233 View attachment 259231
thanks for the information!

Pandemic

One Too Many
just so happen early today I opened my IG and got baited to buy a cossack jacket, only in cotton though, maybe the patch pocket shape and its welt trim that sold me the jacket.

https://www.timechineco.com/product/william-cossack-jacket-olive/?attribute_pa_size=s&currency=USD
size chart puzzled me abit though... seems short on the body, I was considering size S or size M, I took size S finally, size M is far to roomy across the chest and I'm afraid too big around the neck hole too. now I wish the body length is 2cm longer than how it is stated there, we'll see.
Did you every receive this jacket? How was it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider