Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sinatra

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
45.jpg

Cabinetman

A-List Customer
That's the first time I've seen him in suspenders. Then again, it may be that all the early shots I have are with a jacket on. And the hat...again, the first of this vintage that I have seen him wear one. Interesting. He does look 25 here, but it's not quite him, somehow.

You sure it's him? (said with a smile, with no malice)

Cabinetman

A-List Customer
Exactly. I know that one well. Have it in two or three places.

Hey, was there a narrative or caption to go along with that 1940 shot? What was Frankie doing? Well, talking on the phone, yes. Anything else to go with it?

Cabinetman

A-List Customer
Right. On the outside. This is not typical of a 1940 suit, is it? I believe my 1940 has them on the inside. But then are the ones at the rear on the outside?

Also, isn't it typical to have two buttons per side on the front and one per side on the back? Or is it the other way around?

I appreciate the discussion.

Cab

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Suspender button placement is prefference of the owner. There were several styles going around in th 40's. You will find more pairs with suspender buttons on the inside. You see alot of pants from then with the front buttons on the inside and rear buttons on the outside, though all of them being on the outside is not too rare.

Point of interest. Some men wore their suspenders over their swearter and some wore them under.

Bogie1943

Practically Family
A must have

Hey, fellow Chairman addicts, here is a good book to pick up. It's beyond a book, it's a treasure, indeed, "The Sinatra Treasures" wow wow wow my friends. This was an experience, not only do ya get the book, and what a book, you also get a ton of inserts. Posters, letters, tickets, photo's, you name it. I received this book for Christmas, and was so please with it, a wonder peice to own.

Fuente

Familiar Face
Suspenders

For the Anglophiles amongst Y'all

Suspenders hold up ones hosiery

Braces hold up ones trousers

and

Garters hold up ones sleeves

Forrestal

One of the Regulars
I saw Sinatra perform a charity concert at the Kiel Opera House in St. Louis. The year was 1965. I was 14 years old. Also on the bill that night were Dean Martin, Sammy Davis, jr. and Johnny Carson (he was filling in for Joey Bishop who was in Sinatra’s dog house at the time). Count Basie Orchestra with Quincy Jones. My brother and I were the only kids in the building.
Just FYI.
Regards,
Forrestal

Cabinetman

A-List Customer
I foolishly passed on the last available opportunity to see the man at the self-same, then, Kiel Center. Why I didn't go, I will never understand. The tickets were only $25.00 and $50.00. We have spent well beyond that, before and since, for theatre tickets. And we're only a couple hours north of STL. Foolish, foolish boy.

I believe it was the 80th birthday tour or something like that. In any case, like I said, the last opportunity.

(wait a sec...are the Kiel Center - now Savis - and Kiel Opera House different venues?)

Forrestal

One of the Regulars
The old Kiel had two venues; Kiel Opera House and Kiel Auditorium.
Acts like the "Rat Pack�, Ramsey Lewis, Jimmy Duranty etc. would appear there.

Kiel Auditorium was home to the old St. Louis Hawks of the NBA.

The auditorium was re-built into Savis Center and the Opera House was supposed to be renovated too, but sadly never was.
Regards,
Forrestal

Bogie1943

Practically Family
Nice Pants...

That one detail I love about those era pants, how the fabric continues up above the belt loops, I love it. Once again I wish modern tailors would start making clothes proper.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner