Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Singer dress forms: used Tru-shape vs. new?

Alice Blue

One of the Regulars
I think I'm finally going to get a dress form. (I'm tired of sticking pins into myself and would rather stick them into the form. :p)

There is a used Singer Tru-shape dress form on Craigslist at around the same price as a brand-new Singer DF150G on Amazon. (My local independent sewing store doesn't have forms, and Jo-Ann's carries something that is clearly junk.) Anyway, the Amazon reviewers are satisfied with the new Singer model but point out that the stand and size adjustment dials are made from flimsy plastic. I don't know when the Tru-shape was made, but the stand looks like metal so perhaps the rest of the form is more substantial.

Does anyone know about the Tru-shape model, or have an opinion on this model vs. a brand-new form that is probably lower quality?

vintageTink

One Too Many
I have the model that came before this. I still had to make major adjustments and padding; it helps me but not too much on fitting.
I'd still like to make a duct tape dress form for myself (I did one for my sister-in-law). Have you done that?

wahine

Practically Family
I've made two duct-tape dress forms so far. My "Lola" is surely not perfect, but a lot better than trying to make adjustments on myself. I always hated to put pins in the half finished pieces, then trying to snug out, just to find half of the pins on the floor afterwards.

What's good about a duct tape form: it's just exactly your size, and it's so cheap!
What's bad about it: you can't really stick pins in the tape (the bought forms are usually made out of some kind of styrofoam, aren't they? or at least have a covering of fabric that hold pins). Plus, making it needs someone to assist who's willing to invest some time and effort.

Lola I - ran out of tape!

For Lola II, I had more tape (we needed a lot more than all the instructions on the net claimed), and so it got more hips, neck, and shoulders. I tried to paint it white.

I took a broomstick and an old parasol stand to make it stand.

wahine

Practically Family
Sorry for the late answer, I haven't been on the board lately.

To me, it works well enough. But I must admit that I don't use it a lot - I plan way more than I really sew ;)
For heavy duty, a professional dress form might be a better choice. But if you're insecure, I encourage you to give the duct tape a try. It's not that much effort, so even if you find out that you need something more professional, at least you won't have to keep wondering...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner