Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SIZOR Adjustable Headband for Hats

I found very little information searching - have we seen this before?

Found in a recently acquired Knox baku/buntal straw... the first patent was issued to Abraham Blum in 1929 for a method of adjusting the size of cloth caps, the second patent in 1935 shows a mechanism for adjusting the opening of a hat. The white sleeve behind the sweatband contains a narrow cloth band which can be adjusted and secured with a metal clip behind the rear of the sweatband.

Also found behind the sweatband were pieces of a bus baggage claim, dated 1944.

knoxbuntal1.jpg

knoxbuntal4.jpg

sizor1.jpg

sizor2.jpg

sizor3.jpg

Last edited:
Found a very similar tag on this Vintage John Cavanagh Panama straw. It is called TRUSIZE with the same patents.

View attachment 132170 View attachment 132175 View attachment 132174 View attachment 132173 View attachment 132172 View attachment 132171
I have one too (didn't know this thread existed to be honest). On my Dunlap panama (1947), see below. The idea is that you'd loosen the metal clip (lower left on your third picture) and either tighten or loosen the cloth ribbon that runs through it. I think the clip would be very fragile after all these years, so I wouldn't touch it. Not a very practical idea anyway.

dunlap_02.jpg
dunlap_12.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ