Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sky Captain and The World of Tomorrow

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender
Sky Captain and The World or Tomorrow

I can't tell if it will be good or bad....but I plan on seeing it. The under saturated photography style looks very interesting. Sure the plot is preposterous....but so were a lot of the serials.

Release Date: June 25th, 2004

Cast: Jude Law (Captain Joseph Sullivan, AKA Sky Captain), Gwyneth Paltrow (Polly Perkins), Angelina Jolie, Casey Affleck (Dex), Bai Ling; other cast not announced yet.

Premise Notes: (2/13/03) The exact details of this movie aren't yet known, except that it's a 1930s-set action adventure with a pulp fiction feel similar to Raiders of the Lost Ark, except it's influenced by science fiction in ways that film wasn't. Key to the story are a reporter (Paltrow) who's covering the January 13th, 1938 New York premiere of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs at Radio City Music Hall, an accomplished female airplane pilot (Jolie), a "swashbuckling" pilot/adventure (Law), and his tech-savvy sidekick, Dex (Affleck). (5/17/03) This L.A. Times article has filled in quite a few of the blank holes.

Premise: This science fiction adventure set in the 1930s starts as New York City reporter Polly Perkins (Paltrow) starts to investigate why so many famous scientists are starting to be reported missing. Soon, she starts to get clues, as strange flying machines and giant robots threaten the city. Luckily, her old flame, aviator Captain Joseph Sullivan (Law), AKA Sky Captain, is there to battle the bad guys with his friends, the Flying Legion, in his Warhawk P-40. Soon, Polly is flying away with Sky Captain to Nepal to find a crazy scientist, Dr. Totenkopf, who apparently wants to destroy the world...

We will see.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Yes this movie looks like it might be cheep, but I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢m looking forward to seeing it! It has such a 1940?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s comic book feel to it! I mean, sure it?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s not like it?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s going to be realistic but, the thought of one pilot in a P-40 Warhawk taking on aliens or what ever is just so cool!

I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢m going to see the costuming and a WWII pilot in a P-40 take on the bad guys! Sounds cheesy, but fun!

The_Edge

One of the Regulars
The trailer and a clip from the film can be found here: Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow

Wow! Wow! Wow! I am totally jazzed for this film! Period setting, giant robots, imaginative scenes. I love the desaturated palette and lighting!

I absolutely love the sunken ship cameo featured in the film clip! Bonus points to the first person who correctly identifies what film it is from.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Well boys, it?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s going to be a different film that?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s for sure! And that?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s not a bad thing. I liked the trailer for it and it looks like an H.G. Wells story. But, I do have to say that when I saw a P-40 under water?¢‚Ǩ¬¶ Well, I thought that was just was ?¢‚Ǩ?ìPlane?¢‚Ǩ? silly. But, I thought it was funny to see the TITANIC in there as well, very clever indeed.

I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢m going to wait to see the whole film till I give it any judgments. I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢m sure there is a logical reason that they have an underwater seen with aircraft. I just am an aviation buff and just don?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t understand why they decided to make his Warhawk amphibious.

Oh well, like I said, I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢ll wait till I see the full picture before I start to critique it.

Come one September!!!

Cheers.

PS. Here is one of the first ?¢‚Ǩ?ìSky Captains?¢‚Ǩ?. This is a nice shot of one of the AVG pilots in China with his early P-40B Tiger Shark.

renor27

One of the Regulars
Just got the sound track for the film a lot like an Indy Film or something out of the 1940s have to say this looks to be good film. Also another film coming out the same day ( Sept 17th ) is Head in the Clouds . Set in Paris in the mid to late1930, the War in Spainsh ( the good fight ) and then back to Paris though World War Two . Looks to be great fall for all us fans of that era who also enjoy films. Lets see how good the films really are when it comes to the clothing and more important the mens' hats .

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
A little revival

It may have been three years, 3 months since I saw this film in the theater but it has never left my mind. Like Cinderella Man (which I ended up renting nontheless, still great), I only saw it once, on the big screen. I'm not crazy about watching a film at home, as the entire cinematic experience is what lures me to see a movie, and it's "somewhat" travelling or timing inconvience doesn't pull me away. That said, I keep coming back to this film.

One of the video tapes I had since I was very young was of the 1941 episode of Max Fleicher's Superman. I moment I saw the preview one night before another movie, I was seeing that episode all over again, in this film. Still, for the past two years, I have not seen this film a second time. This film was a great experience in the theater and I can't imagine it being as incredible on even a 48 inch screen (though I have a 22"). It just isn't the same.

When was the last time you watched Sky Captain and The World Of Tomorrow?

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I enjoyed 'aspects' of it.

Overall, this wasn't really my type of film, as I'm not a great fantasy/sci-fi buff.
But there were aspects of it that I loved, such as the moody, saturated lighting, a homage to 30's/40's styled film and Gwyneth I felt looked lovely as ever.
I could have seen a Rocketeer type fella whizzing by in this one.

But...as I said, too much fantasy for my taste. Glad I saw it on the big screen at the flicks.

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
I don't own very many DVDs, but I do have this one. I actually think it works a little better on the small screen, it kind of condenses the effects down. No it's not a great movie, but if I get myself into that old serial mindset when I watch it I really enjoy it!
sky-captain-1.jpg

Stinchcomb

One of the Regulars
happyfilmluvguy said:
When was the last time you watched Sky Captain and The World Of Tomorrow?

I rented this about 3 weeks ago. All the good new releases where taken. I came across it and figured I'd give it another try. I rented it the first time when it was first released. I fell asleep while watching it the first time. This time I was able to stay awake. The cinematography is pretty cool, but the story line and action just didn't do it for me. Even this second time, it was having trouble keeping my interest. To me the posters are more worth looking at than movie itself. I wish I had a room where I could hang a framed movie poster of this.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I saw it in a theater the weekend it opened, and I recently got the DVD and gave it another look.

I don't think the *story* is much, and (despite its short running time) the film bogs down badly after leaving NYC and limps to its conclusion. The chemistry between Law and Paltrow *almost* works, but seems kind of forced. Neither of them is especially believable as 1939 people... That the director had never made a film before is pretty obvious, both in terms of the storytelling and the handling of the actors.

But it is a unique-looking flick, and to somebody like me - who owns the Fleischer Superman cartoons on Super 8, 16mm, VHS and DVD, devoured all the old 30s/40s serials on TV as a kid, loves Lost Horizon, King Kong, etc. (and let's not even go into retro styles and technology!) - it's a natural!

I consider it a flawed gem, and I definitely dig it - even given its many weaknesses. It's fun, even if it's just not as brilliant/epic as it thinks it is!

Stinchcomb

One of the Regulars
Doctor Strange said:
I consider it a flawed gem, and I definitely dig it - even given its many weaknesses. It's fun, even if it's just not as brilliant/epic as it thinks it is!

You hit the nail on the head. While I was watching it, I kept thinking this really could be a good movie, but couldn't put my fingure on what it might be missing. Obviously I'm just an end user, not a director or actor. It did appear to have everything needed to make a great film.

Hondo

One Too Many
You got it bud!!!
Stinchcomb said:
You hit the nail on the head. While I was watching it, I kept thinking this really could be a good movie, but couldn't put my fingure on what it might be missing. Obviously I'm just an end user, not a director or actor. It did appear to have everything needed to make a great film.

I also saw this at the "theater a few weeks after it opened, and bought the DVD later to gave it another look. It left me feeling I've seen this before (that 30's or 40's feel) and started off great but something was missing [huh] hated the ending, "we'll never know what happens next" cause could have been better ending. I know the whole story on how this film was made "green screen" animations. Its not all a feel good thing, felt cheated :(
Like Paddy says Paltrow was sweet, not a big fan of hers but do think she is lovely, love women who are soft and strong sometimes dumb, oops! :D

Bret4207

New in Town
This could have been a great flick. The elements were there. The actors were capable. But it failed somewhere. I had high hopes for it, but it just never came through. I also lowered my opinion of Paltro even more. I don't see any great talent there. Sad.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy