Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Red Baron

koopkooper

Practically Family
Saw a great movie on DVD today. It's called The Red Baron. I just love period films and will pretty much watch anything period. What a fantastic story which captured my boyhood memories of reading Biggles books which my father had loved and introduced me to as a young boy.
Whilst a little bit inaccurate historically, the film does highlight the fact that Richthofen is an incredibly talented young man who is thrust into the limelight purely for propaganda purposes.
He is idealistic and realistic about both the war and his talent. He instructs his crew to shoot planes only and to avoid killing pilots, he considers it to be very much a game at first and considers his role to be sporting. This is probably because he is from German aristocracy and clearly has no concept of what kind of hell exists on the Western front. When he is finally invited to meet the troops on the front line he is shocked and disturbed and believes that the Germans should concede.
Wonderful cinematically and the story line is compelling. My only issue was the poetic licence of the writter in introducing a love interest. Personally I am sick of the stories of men and their creations and battles being hijacked by female characters that in reality have nothing to contribute to the story.
Once again it's the film industry catering to a female audience to make women feel as if they are creators and major contributors to society when in reality they rarely are.

But, apart from that a good war film that most will enjoy...Kooper gives it 3/5.

Dig the plot below.

Europe, 1916. Baron Manfred von Richthofen is, at the age of just 24, the crack pilot of the German aerial combat forces - a legend in his own time, a hero at home and a man both feared and respected by the enemy, including Allied Forces' Canadian pilot, Captain Roy Brown. Von Richthofen and his fellow officers, Lieutenants Voss, Sternberg and Lehmann see their duels in the sky as tactical, almost sportsmanlike, challenges that, at least at first, obscure their view of the horrors of the battlefields below. The provocative red paint job of his Fokker aircraft earns him the nickname "The Red Baron" and makes him famous the world over. For millions of his countrymen, he becomes an idol, a symbol of hope and pride. But the German high command increasingly misuses him for propaganda purposes - until the young pilot falls in love with Käte, a beautiful and resolute nurse who opens his eyes to the fact that there is more to war than dogfights won and adversaries downed. Manfred von Richthofen finally becomes aware of his role in the propaganda machine of a senseless and barbarous war. On another, more personal front, his ambitious and patriotic brother Lothar questions his chivalrous code of honor. But despite the heavy losses in his squadron and torn between his disgust for the war and his responsibility to his fighter wing, von Richthofen cannot stop flying. But even for this living legend, each new combat mission could be his last.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
Is this a newer film? I'd heard a German production was in the works, I wasn't sure if it had been released yet.

I own a DVD called "Richthofen and Brown", a view of the war in the air from the two angles, the German aristocrat caught up in the propaganda, and the Canadian farm boy fed up with the arrogance of the British aristocracy and the futility of war.

Dramatized to the hilt, but entertaining as well!

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
Will have to look out for the newer versions. The 1971 Roger Corman one I have was much better than I expected, though it is now relatively obscure.

Per ardua ad astra

MisterCairo said:
Is this a newer film? I'd heard a German production was in the works, I wasn't sure if it had been released yet.

I own a DVD called "Richthofen and Brown", a view of the war in the air from the two angles, the German aristocrat caught up in the propaganda, and the Canadian farm boy fed up with the arrogance of the British aristocracy and the futility of war.

Dramatized to the hilt, but entertaining as well!

An interesting touch in the film is Hermann Goering as a sort of proto-Nazi. There's a scene where von Richthofen is reprimanding Leutnant Goering for strafing a hospital. In actuality Goering didn't join JG1 until after von Richthofen's death. He replaced Obltn. Reinhard, von Richthofen's hand-picked successor, as commander of JG1 when Reinhard was killed two months after von Richthofen.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
There was a great deal of what I think film makers call "conflation" of events to make stories either more interesting or to cram in as much detail as possible.

If memory serves, the Baron's mentor in the film, can't recall the name, didn't enter the picture until much later than presented, if indeed they flew together at all.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Oswald Boelcke

MisterCairo said:
If memory serves, the Baron's mentor in the film, can't recall the name, didn't enter the picture until much later than presented, if indeed they flew together at all.
Richthofen's mentor was Oswald Boelcke, who commanded Jagdstaffel 2 which Richthofen became a member of! Boelcke wrote the seminole rules that all fighter pilots to this day live by, Dicta Boelcke. These are rules such as gain speed, altitude advantage and suprise! Ironically, Richthofen broke several of these rules on his final flight, something he would not tolerate in a junior officer! Richthofen took over command after Bolcke's death in October 1916 and continued tell his death.

Edward

Bartender
V.C. Brunswick said:
An interesting touch in the film is Hermann Goering as a sort of proto-Nazi. There's a scene where von Richthofen is reprimanding Leutnant Goering for strafing a hospital. In actuality Goering didn't join JG1 until after von Richthofen's death. He replaced Obltn. Reinhard, von Richthofen's hand-picked successor, as commander of JG1 when Reinhard was killed two months after von Richthofen.

I suspect that was a deliberate ploy to help delineate between the German military and the Nazis. Yes, WW1, I know, but the reality is that most of the modern mainstream audience in Western Europe and the USA habitually conflates those two. Same reason, I believe, that they inserted the fictional Jewish pilot into the Flying Circus - see the tag line at the end that points out that while he was fictional, many brave Jewish men fought and died for Germany in the Great War.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner