Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sleeping in curlers?

ASimpleLady

Familiar Face
I slept in the spongy curlers last night for the first time and everything came out really well. They weren't uncomfortable at all. I think I need more because it was a very loose curl and my hair is very long. I've been working on trying to do rolls but just haven't gotten the hang of it yet.

Goldfish

A-List Customer
I have these foam rollers and they don´t work for me, because my hair is thin and doesn´t hold in there...
but I really wanna try to get a vintage style, which curlers would you suggest for beginners?

RetroMom

One of the Regulars
blackcigarette said:
I have these foam rollers and they don´t work for me, because my hair is thin and doesn´t hold in there...
but I really wanna try to get a vintage style, which curlers would you suggest for beginners?

What size rollers are you using? My hair is very fine and thin and the super small size ,when rolled with not too much hair, stay in and work well for me. They make some now that are satin covered, to keep your hair from snagging, but stay away from those as the satin will cause your hair to slip out. Also, have you tried pin curls? They are a little tricky at first, but once you get the hang of it you get a real authentic look:) Hope this helps!

lyburnum

Practically Family
I sleep in the velcro rollers at night. I've tried hot rollers but they never hold and the curl is never as nice. I'm terrible at pin curls - they come out all frizzy. I wear a hair net over the top of my rollers - although it's only just fitting over now as my rollers are getting bigger as my hair's getting longer!

RitaHayworth

One of the Regulars
lyburnum said:
I sleep in the velcro rollers at night. I've tried hot rollers but they never hold and the curl is never as nice. I'm terrible at pin curls - they come out all frizzy. I wear a hair net over the top of my rollers - although it's only just fitting over now as my rollers are getting bigger as my hair's getting longer!

I do the same thing! Sleeping in velcro's take a bit of getting used to though!

Ive also got to sleep with a hair net over the top to hold them in good place! But I love the volume as I have naturally curly hair!

SarahLouise

Practically Family
I mostly sleep in pillow curlers or pin curls. I love the results of sponge rollers but find them too difficult to sleep in so only use them when I've got the entire day for them to dry in time for the evening. My usual style is a pageboy so when I set them with pillow curlers I only set one row and I tend to sleep on my back anyway so it's not too bad. I'd obviously rather sleep without them but my hair does not hold curl at all if I use heated methods so setting overnight is the only way!

RitaHayworth

One of the Regulars
Are the sponge rollers the ones that have the plastic attached that you "snap" into place on the ends?

I have some of those and find they are more comfortable - however I didnt think it gave me much body, which is why I prefer velcro's - I just wish they weren't so darn uncomfortable!

Goldfish

A-List Customer
RetroMom said:
What size rollers are you using? My hair is very fine and thin and the super small size ,when rolled with not too much hair, stay in and work well for me. They make some now that are satin covered, to keep your hair from snagging, but stay away from those as the satin will cause your hair to slip out. Also, have you tried pin curls? They are a little tricky at first, but once you get the hang of it you get a real authentic look:) Hope this helps!

i think they are medium sized...
well how do they hold in your hair?
can´t imagine how the hair shouldn´t slip out...
sorry, I have really all thumbs up when it comes to hair styling:rolleyes:

ASimpleLady

Familiar Face
Mine are the ones that snap but they don't seem to hold the curl like I want it to. Johanna has beautiful loose curls ( don't know if they're natural or from curlers). I want those!

MarieAnne

Practically Family
I slept in sponge/foam (with the snappy thing) curlers last night. It worked quite well and I slept alright. I set my hair like in Lolitahaze's tutorial for recreating Rita Hayworth's hair. http://community.livejournal.com/vintagehair/3414.html

I set my hair shortly after showering so it was pretty wet. I didn't use any lotion. The curlers I used are one inch in diameter. I slept with a satin bonnet. It looks like a shower cap but it's satin. Because it's so loose it didn't do much to keep my curlers in place. It didn't do much to reduce frizz either. You could definitely tell I slept on my left side this morning but once I combed through the curls with my fingers you couldn't tell.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner