Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sleeping in curlers?

fifi

Familiar Face
Do any of your ladies sleep with your hair rolled? If so, what kind of curlers do you use? I have trouble sleeping with things in my hair, and I tend to be a fitful sleeper so I manage to shake the curlers loose. Any tips?

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
I sleep in curlers on a regular basis. I usually get the best, most predictable curls with sponge rollers, so I tend to stick with them--but they would be the least comfortable, as they are so bulky.

I've had good results with rag curlers (strips of cloth cut from an old shirt), and find these to be pretty comfortable as well. They take a bit of practice, but do stay in the hair very well.

I've also experimented with pin curls, which would be the most authentic choice! They do take some practice, but again, since they are flat they are pretty comfy.

The trick is to just practice--you'll learn how to best secure your hair with a few tries! You can also try placing a net or a 'do rag over the set hair to keep things some and more secure.

MissTayva

I always sleep in them. I u se these soft, spongy ones. They have a thin strip of flexible metal down the center of them... completely comfortable. I place a lace cap over them to keep them in place, as well.

decodoll

Practically Family
MissTayva said:
I always sleep in them. I u se these soft, spongy ones. They have a thin strip of flexible metal down the center of them... completely comfortable. I place a lace cap over them to keep them in place, as well.

Those sound like what I use when I sleep in rollers. They are the most comfy I've found. Usually, I just use Caruso steam rollers though.

Doe Peterson

New in Town
I've been experimenting with curlers over the years. I've tried those soft spongy ones where you can twist the ends (comfy) and the regular round spongy curlers (not so comfy). I've tried pin curls (comfy if I use bobby pins) and now I'm gonna try the paper ones that are suggested in the my 40's hairstyle book. I started using hot rollers instead because I was trying to look "beautiful" for my hubby. But I find that my hair doesn't hold the curls as well. So what's more important, my hubby trying to kiss a head full of curlers in the middle of the night or a great hairstyle? Hmmm...well my hair of course!

ITG

Call Me a Cab
I've slept in sponge rollers, but they are a bit bulky and not real comfy. But because I'm a hard sleeper, I'll do it anyway. I may have to try the rag method mentioned. I also use Hot Sticks for a quick set and get really nice curls with those.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
I have to say that I am still thrilled with the foam rubber curlers I bought the other day--they are super comfortable and create a great curl. They are so good that I am even contemplating tossing out the rest of my stash lol

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
So far I've just been using regular sponge rollers...the first couple of nights I didn't sleep too well, was very uncomfortable, but I'm now getting used to it. The way I look heading out of the house does make it worth it :)
Jitterbugdol: I don't think I"ve heard of the kind you just bought...they sound like a great product! where did you get them from?

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
Jitterbugdol: I don't think I"ve heard of the kind you just bought...they sound like a great product! where did you get them from?

They are made by Goody (though I couldn't find them on their Web site) and I found them at the grocery store ($6/16 rollers.)

The other good thing about them is that they store nice and flat :)

maisie

Practically Family
I only sleep in rollers when i'm going to an event, and normally wear them during the day when i'm going to a dance ;) , but i use the soft plastic ones, which are very uncomftable to wear in the beginning but you get used to them/they soften up! lol! I also use setting lotion so the curl lasts up to 3-4 days:D , but i recommend when sleeping in rollers, have lots of soft pillows it makes it so much easier to sleep!:D

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
Hmmm... Perhaps I'll give the foam curlers a try. Just the whole curlers/sleeping thing brings back memories of when I was a little girl and my aunt used to put my hair in rollers Christmas Eve and they were those awful hard plastic ones and I would toss and turn all night only to wake to find them hanging onto less than an inch of hair!

But now that I'm older and don't have the excitement of Christmas waiting for me the next day when I do my hair perhaps I can make it through the night with them on.

So, Goody, here I come!

RetroMom

One of the Regulars
I just switched from doing pin curls with bobbie pins to the smallest size of the foam rollers. I can do my whole head in about 10 minutes and it stays rolled all night! I think the results are better too, no frizz, and they last longer, and best of all, no fish hooks from stray ends! I don't think I'll ever go back to pin curls now!:)

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
I use a combo of sponge roller with the wire running through it that you twist the ends and pin curls, right around the hairline. It takes some getting used to and I generally sleep with 2 or more pillows, kinda propped up.
kamikat

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
I also use those sponge rollers with the wire, they do take getting used to, but are generally fine to sleep on, with, as others have suggested, soft pillows. If I'm really uncomfortable I will unroll them ever so slightly so they can move further to the side. I find them better than pin curls, but I occasionally unroll them to find the centre still wet! :mad:

J.B.

Practically Family
I don't even know if I'm allowed to post in here but I saw the topic in the most recent "New Posts" click I did...?!

So anyway, do "Spoolies" from the Vermont Country Store look like they would be useful??

Can you find it in your heart to forgive me? :eek:

Barbara

One of the Regulars
I'd love to know if anyone has tried these spoolies or had any luck. If I couldn't use them, my toddler would dub them toys I guess.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner