Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sleeve length question for heavy leather jacket

Seank

A-List Customer
With regards to the attached photo, where would you place the appropriate sleeve length? Take into consideration a new heavy leather jacket in the 4oz HH variety. How much do YOU add for shrinkage do to creasing, etc…
The tape measure extends from the shoulder bone straight down the arm towards the wrist as shown in this diagram. Just looking for 2nd opinions.

3A468B73-BA22-4EE8-A9FE-04467F691F18.jpeg

8E9BEA6D-4A88-4384-98AA-75CFF87A1C08.jpeg

Psant25

One Too Many
Depending on style the shoulder may be wide or narrow. My first langlitz i submitted 19 across shoulder and 26 sleeve. The jacket measured 20 in across shoulders and sleeve was i think 25.5 or 26. The end of cuff fell past my first knuckle. Way to long even for riding. Sure the sleeves bunch up with the cuff zipped but looked ridiculous. I have about 1.5 to 2 inches of sleeve length difference id accept. 0.5 from that too short or too long is a no go. By pic id say 24.5. I think all my aeros the sleeves shortened due to creasing because they started too long and if sleeves were shorter not sure it would have happened. Usually 1/2-1 inch “shortening” on most my jackets except like 0 on my naked JL hides

Seank

A-List Customer
Depending on style the shoulder may be wide or narrow. My first langlitz i submitted 19 across shoulder and 26 sleeve. The jacket measured 20 in across shoulders and sleeve was i think 25.5 or 26. The end of cuff fell past my first knuckle. Way to long even for riding. Sure the sleeves bunch up with the cuff zipped but looked ridiculous. I have about 1.5 to 2 inches of sleeve length difference id accept. 0.5 from that too short or too long is a no go. By pic id say 24.5. I think all my aeros the sleeves shortened due to creasing because they started too long and if sleeves were shorter not sure it would have happened. Usually 1/2-1 inch “shortening” on most my jackets except like 0 on my naked JL hides

i don’t have a shoulder measurement. Wish I did, but it’s for a LW suburban and they don’t do shoulder measurements, just height, weight, chest, etc… for what it’s worth it’s a Suburban sized 40 chest but doing custom body/sleeve length. Just trying to nail down the sleeves. I spec’d 25” but wondering if that’s going to be to long. I still have time to change it.

Psant25

One Too Many
i don’t have a shoulder measurement. Wish I did, but it’s for a LW suburban and they don’t do shoulder measurements, just height, weight, chest, etc… for what it’s worth it’s a Suburban sized 40 chest but doing custom body/sleeve length. Just trying to nail down the sleeves. I spec’d 25” but wondering if that’s going to be to long. I still have time to change it.
I bet @Carlos840 has pretty accurate sizing info for a 40 and/or a 42 stock LW jacket

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
On all my LW except the CHP, I have “lost” about an inch in the sleeve measurement.

Let me get this straight. The leather in your LW "shrank" one inch? Did it happen in your lw trojan/j23? If this is true, then makes so much sense and there is hope for me with my closet queens LWs.

With the creases, especially the J23 and PJ27 but also the Trojan, the sleeves now fall about an inch higher up. Perfect now really. But not totally optimal on the bike.

The CHP has thick as heck fur lining that forms sort of a gauntlet at the wrist. That ain’t going anywhere.

But yes, I would say expect the 4oz to crease and hold that shape enough to “shorten” the sleeves a bit. Before my parlay with the deer, I was thinking to myself “damn, the sleeves seem shorter today”.

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Call Me a Cab
I must have measured my sleeve length for my LL at least 100 times and each time gotten a different number lol. So I just defaulted by what I know to be true and added a little extra since I knew I was bringing in the shoulders a good inch plus.

For my height - 6'0 - I feel 26 inch sleeves is magic number. It's somewhere between the wrist bone and first knuckle. I've got jackets with 25ish and a couple 26ish, and they all seem to be in proper range. I don't ride though, so maybe my advice is not pertinent.

True you have to compensate for shoulder width, but don't go nuts. Remember it's a half measurement essentially as it pertains to sleeves. So 18 shoulder vs 17 shoulder doesn't mean 1 inch difference to sleeve, but 1/2 inch. But for some reason, the pure math of it doesn't always tell the full story.

Purely by your photo alone, I'd be going with 25.25, but that's assuming you nailed the measurement (exact bend, started at exactly right spot on the shoulder, etc.). Unless you have shorter arms, I bet you could go with 26 and be totally cool too.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
I am 6'2" with pretty long arms, all my custom LW where specced with 25.25" arms and back.
I have never added anything to plan for shrinkage, none have shrunk or lost any length, if i measure them today they are still 25.25".
I have some non custom ones i bought used and their sleeves range from 24.5 to 26" and they all fit fine.
Judging by your photo i would probably go for 24" or a tiny bit more, but 25" on you looks like it would be too long for me and my preference.

These are all 25.25":

49TDKUk.jpg

Im5Wzwc.jpg

uinZoD0.jpg

NT4pIDK.jpg

Edit: The only jacket i have ever had shrinkage on is this one, it started out at 27.5", with the sleeve reaching my thumb knuckle, this is the only measurable change in length i have experienced out of 60 jackets.
IMO it only happened because the sleeve was too long to start with and was stacking on my wrist.

ifUBF9R.jpg

Last edited:

Cyber Lip

Practically Family
I like my sleeves a little long. My preferred spot on a brand new jacket is for the end of the sleeve to hit me right on top of my first thumb knuckle, so that by the time it's done creeping up due to creasing it will hit me just slightly above that, just barely clearing that knuckle. I've not found that sleeves creep up significantly over time with normal wear btw, maybe about a quarter inch or so max

sweetfights

My Mail is Forwarded Here
With the 4oz LW I found my regular sleeve length of 26 inches was a little too long.
I, ideally, would say 1/2 inch off your regular length.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto