Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Small town theatre nearly 75 years old

J.J. Gittes

A-List Customer
Movies in L.A. are so expensive... that's why I don't go see many, its almost 12-15 bucks a person now!

If I ever go through there, I'd stop by! It's always great to see old places like this kept up by people that appreciate it and share it with everyone. Need more of that nowadays. These things won't be around forever as we all know.

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
This is a great story. I really like the website. The history of the theatre is very thorough, and the pictures showing the theatre's evolution through time is amazing!

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
J.J. Gittes said:
Movies in L.A. are so expensive... that's why I don't go see many, its almost 12-15 bucks a person now!

If I ever go through there, I'd stop by! It's always great to see old places like this kept up by people that appreciate it and share it with everyone. Need more of that nowadays. These things won't be around forever as we all know.

Go to matinees at the Vista or Los Feliz Theaters like I do!

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I know first hand that it's a very tough go in today's world for a small-town single-screen theatre, and they can only survive with the support of people who understand how unique and valuable they are. A lot of people today blow off the idea of "going to the movies" when they can more easily stay home with their giant screens and Blu-Rays -- but when these little theatres are gone, they're gone for good. If you really appreciate what these houses do for their communities, spend eight or nine bucks a week and be a regular at the one in your town. And while you're there, give your regards to the manager. She works hard.

(End of public service announcement)

The Captain

One of the Regulars
Thank you, Lizzie. The PSA was right on the money. My friends have struggled to keep this little theatre open for years. Being the only screen for 50 miles is a plus and having first run films doesn't hurt, but the cost of keeping the doors open requires an occasional "benefit" show to augment the bottom line. Thanks for understanding.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21