Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Smiley's People & Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy

Gideon Ashe

One of the Regulars
Originally shown on PBS in the 70's these two are among the rather small list of my very favorite films. Each, on DVD, run for approximately 7+ hours, and cleanly depict the early to late Cold War, Post War(WWII)era.

Alec Guinness beautifully portrays George Smiley, MI-6 spymaster in a feast of CW mood, setting and dress.

A treat; a desert series to be enjoyed over and over for the nuance of dialog and setting. Not a wrong move or wasted scene here, in either of these productions.:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

LordJohnRoxton

One of the Regulars
Gideon Ashe said:
Originally shown on PBS in the 70's these two are among the rather small list of my very favorite films. Each, on DVD, run for approximately 7+ hours, and cleanly depict the early to late Cold War, Post War(WWII)era.

Alec Guinness beautifully portrays George Smiley, MI-6 spymaster in a feast of CW mood, setting and dress.

A treat; a desert series to be enjoyed over and over for the nuance of dialog and setting. Not a wrong move or wasted scene here, in either of these productions.:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

I'm glad that someone else holds them as dear as I do!

Gideon Ashe

One of the Regulars
,...and after being encouraged,..."The Wild Bunch"

) ...I am compelled to follow on with yet another favorite.
Sam Peckinpah's total, perfect western,...
The Wild Bunch.
A gourmets treat for those who enjoy the era of the early 1900's (1913-1916)and the nasty, violent and roiling South West on both sides of the border.
Possibly the most beautifully violent film ever made, and certainly the most quotable.
Costumes are the subject of today's WildBunch Side Matchs, of the SASS(Single Action Shooting Society) where accuracy with the period weapons under time constraints are met with the accuracy of period clothing and dialog.

Somewhere I have a photo of my maternal Grandfather, who was a farrier for the U.S.Army, dressed exactly as the protagonists in the begining of the film. Shining new 1911 Army auto pistol and all.
It, the film, is a masterpiece.

Just one juicy quote, if you please:
Senor. (pointing)Mexico lindo!
Gorch:"It dont look so damn lindo to me. Looks like more Texas!"

Tony in Tarzana

My Mail is Forwarded Here
These are favorites for me. I love some of LeCarre's books, although the later ones I've read were somewhat impenetrable.

Alec Guinness was marvelous, and the supporting cast was terrific, particularly Ian Richardson.

Gideon Ashe

One of the Regulars
May I suggest,............

The books of Colin McKinnon (there are only two) and Charles Cumming (there are three and one at the starting point).
Either may well be the modern day LeCarre. The books are suspensefull and without foolishness and maintains a sense of reality. They are credible!!

Most of LeCarre's later efforts have been lost in his desire to up-date, utilizing areas with which he has little or no familiarity. Near disasterous, a la
Constant Gardner. It brought tears to my eyes. Not the subject matter but rather the pee poor manner in which it was presented:(

Of course anything he puts pen to is an instant economic success. The escape clause for a gifted writer who falters.
Neither George Smiley or Connie Sachs would have approved, BUT also would have had the good taste not have commented on it.
I wish I could have been bewildered by his later work. My misfortune NOT to have been confused or lost.
I, however, have not the breeding, education, taste or class to ignore it.

The best to you.
G.Ashe

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy is without doubt my favourite television program. It is perfect, in my opinion.

Smiley's People ranks very high too, although it could never have matched the first series.

MikePotts

Practically Family
I get the British TV version of "Tinker,Tailor......" and "Smiley's People" from Netflix at least twice a year and always enjoy them thouroughly. A couple of days ago I received the new movie version of "Tinker Tailor..." and could not have been more disappointed, a miserable excuse for a film.

MP

Kirk H.

One Too Many
I love the 70's PBS versions as well as "The Spy Who Came In From The Cold". I did see the latest version and thought that Gary Oldman and the rest of the cast did a good job. I also agree about some of leCarre's newer stuff being not so great.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
MikePotts said:
A couple of days ago I received the new movie version of "Tinker Tailor..." and could not have been more disappointed, a miserable excuse for a film.
I watched the new film last night and I agree with you. It was mis-cast, filled with repetitive visual cliches, highlighted the wrong story elements, was difficult to make sense of (even though I'm thoroughly familiar with the book and Guiness tv series), the four main 'suspects' are never given backgrounds or characters (they should have reduced it to two suspects and fleshed them out a bit), and worst of all Smiley seems to care about his wife, which he never did in the book or tv series. The more I think about this film the more I dislike it. What irritates me is that few people will read the book, and, although I've tried hard, no one I know will agree to sit down and watch the tv series (even though they will watch hundreds of hours of other crap on tv).

filfoster

One Too Many
Count me as a huge fan of these also. They used to be available on Amazon as DVD's.

Consider also: Michael Caine as Harry Palmer in The Ipcress File and Funeral in Berlin for a similar era Brit spy vibe.

And of course, Richard Burton in The Spy Who Came In From the Cold, as noted above by another member..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff