Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Smokers and non smokers, what do you do, what do you think?

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
wrinkles: I know! my mother is a heavy smoker and is really showing the effects of it. She's got the typical smoker's face which is sad because she's such an attractive lady...definetely gives me enough incentive to never touch the stuff again!
another reason I thought of, was, when kissing a smoker, unless you're a smoker yourself, it's kind of like kissing an ash tray...not good.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Never smoked anything.

Not even a ham.

My mother passed from smoking related cancer in 2005, she was only 65, so I dont have a high regard for cigs.

My brother and I usta hide them from her when we were kids, and when we were old enough to buy them for her, we refused. She respected that.

I dont repremand smokers if I see them. I think tabacka' smells good, but thats about it. If they ask a smoking related question to me, and it fits, I will bluntly tell them about my mom. Usually stops them from smoking around me at least.

LD

ClassicIsBetter

One of the Regulars
Former smoker. I smoked a lot in my teens. As a matter of fact, a number of times my best friend and I would have "Smokefest" at Waffle House and smoke 1 carton apiece until we ran out. That's not including my usual smoking at the time (2 packs). 1 carton on those occassions lasted about 5 hours. One time we ran out and went to the gas station and smoked 2 more packs, for a total of 14 packs of cigaretts in nearly 24 hours. I don't smoke anymore. Interesting story on how I quit - had cochlear implant surgery (google it for more info), minor complications that resulted on being on codeine for an entire month. I didn't quit smoking, I just forgot to resume. That was probably 6-7 years ago. I did start up again briefly a few times, but quit soon afterwards. I have no sorrow for those that are trying to quit. One can either quit smoking or smoking will quit you. As for others smoking around me - doesn't bother me, no desire to smoke, almost as if I never smoked in the first place. No sense of smell, so I don't smell it either. I allow smoking in my car also. I don't care.

crazylegsmurphy

One of the Regulars
Do you drink alcohol? It's legal, causes diseases, death, depression, abuse and other problems... and serves no useful purpose whatsoever.

Nope, I don't drink, and you are right...it doesn't! I live right across from a bar and on any given weekend I could point out at least 10 people who shouldn't be driving.

Another thought about smoking looking cool. In movies (and TV) especially it is a visual medium, and because of that in order to add depth and dynamics to the scene many times movie makers will use tricks to fool your eye.

Adding smoke into a scene gives the light something to bounce off, it creates a subtle interest that keeps the viewer looking at the screen. As well it creates visual cues that keep the viewer focused on the face because the hand movement of taking a puff draws the eyes back up. This is the same reason you find that in most movies they water down the streets to give them a shine, or use a smoke machine to create subtle atmostphere in the background.

The reason I think it looks "cool" to us is that we have been conditioned to think so from the begining of time. If you actually stand back and watch a typical smoker, huddled in a corner in the dead of winter, coughing and hacking, thier yellow teeth poking out from under their lips....the fact is...it doesn't hold a candle to someone who just stands there and demands attention based on confidence and such.

Gotta go...sorry you lucked out, you don't have to hear me rant.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Smoking is bad for you?

But what about this? :rolleyes:

dies-home-com-feb-41-001.jpg

RadioHead

Familiar Face
Aww.

crazylegsmurphy said:
Nope, I don't drink, and you are right...it doesn't! I live right across from a bar and on any given weekend I could point out at least 10 people who shouldn't be driving.

If you actually stand back and watch a typical smoker, huddled in a corner in the dead of winter, coughing and hacking, thier yellow teeth poking out from under their lips....the fact is...it doesn't hold a candle to someone who just stands there and demands attention based on confidence and such.

Gotta go...sorry you lucked out, you don't have to hear me rant.

You do make valid points. I WAS one of those smokin' fools for 16 years :eusa_doh:, so I don't have to stand back and watch.

In any case, you have certainly made your point, and I hope I have made mine, as well. :) To paraphrase Commodore Dewey... "You may rant when ready, Gridley".

"RadioHead"

RedShoesGirl

One of the Regulars
crazylegsmurphy said:
... Smoking doesn't look cool at all, but like with many things in the media they have a fancy way of making things appear to look cool. ....

...But what bothers me the most about smokers is when I am driving around and I see a person smoking up a storm, while thier little child sits there in the passenger seat learning the habit, and suffering the consequences.

Honestly, I personally think smoking is one of those things that we need to accept as a society as being simply rediculous. We need to realize that the proof is in the pudding that it has no useful function, and do everything we can to get rid of it once and for all.

:eusa_clap

i totally agreed with everything you said so just quoted the really good parts.

Congrats to those of you that have quit. That is totally awesome! please forgive the slang.

rsg

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Tony in Tarzana said:
:) I guess they weren't adding as much other nasty stuff to 'em back then.

As for doctors smoking, go watch Dive Bomber with Erroll Flynn as a doctor, who with his doctor buddies go through practically a whole dang carton in one scene. lol

http://imdb.com/title/tt0033537/

Hey Tony! I just noticed,...just what the heck is in that cigarette holder in your avatar pic!? :eek: lol lol lol

Air Boss

Familiar Face
Not very smart

I have asthma yet I smoked off and on for about 15 years. When I became a Dad I quit. The only time I harp on smokers is when they are in my house or car; that's why my Mom doesn't visit in the winter. I have to say that in my dreams I still smoke and if it were not for the asthma and concern about cancer I would go out and buy a pack of Camels today.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Air Boss said:
I have asthma yet I smoked off and on for about 15 years. When I became a Dad I quit. The only time I harp on smokers is when they are in my house or car; that's why my Mom doesn't visit in the winter. I have to say that in my dreams I still smoke and if it were not for the asthma and concern about cancer I would go out and buy a pack of Camels today.

Sounds like you've been an ex-smoker for only a short while. It took me a while to get totally over it. The first month was really bad as the friends I hung out with all still smoked. The cravings I had after meals were the worst, but they only lasted a few minutes.
After a few months it got easier and easier. Even throughout the first year or so, the thought of lighting up would pop into my head at times, but I would just ignore that little voice and continue doing whatever it was I was doing at the time.
After that initial time period though, smoking became very annoying to me, as it still is today.
So it is tough at first, but after some time you won't even miss it.
Hang in there! :)

Air Boss

Familiar Face
Actually, I smoked my last cigarette 12+ years ago and for the 7 years prior I never lit up more than 10 times a day. My wife says she still smokes in her dreams as well - she smoked for about 10 years and quit when she was pregenant wiht our eldest, more than 20 years ago.

Lee Lynch

One of the Regulars
I quit cigarettes in 2000, but am thinking of getting a pipe or some nice cigars for less frequent indulgence at home.
I am really glad I quit cigs, it was a gross inconvenience to run out in the evening and have to get back out to get more when I otherwise would like to have lounged at home. They also got in the way of working out, which is something I really need. I'm fine with pipe or cigar tobacco smoke, but cigarette smoke is just a dirty odour to me.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
For anyone who needs help breaking their bad habits, new technology may shock those of you into action. For smokers, a camera takes a picture of your face and ages it ten or more years to show what you will look like with smoking-induced wrinkles: http://www.way2quit.com

Phil

A-List Customer
Non-Smoker

I don't really see the allure in smoking. Sorry if I offend anyone, but this is how I feel. Smoking is one of the dirtiest happits ever. To me, even the greatest person in the world comes off as a bum when they smoke. It smells terrible and smokers aren't fun to kiss. My main problem is with cigarettes. They leave a nasty smell wherever they're allowed to be lit. Besides, it's expensive. Around my area it's somewhere around $5.00 for one pack.
One example is the 30 year old guy. I don't know his name, but I drive my freind to Walgreens every day after school because she works there and it's not far from my house so I really don't see a problem helping out a friend. Anyways, every day, I see the same guy come out with either one or two packs of cigarettes. EVERY DAY! Assuming he only buys one pack every day on weekdays, which I'm sure he doesn't limit himself to, that's over $100 dollars a month. There are so many other things that that money could be used for, but instead it's wasted on death sticks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24