Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Smoking and the Golden Era

magneto

Practically Family
smoking through veils

Lauren Henline said:
But how did the women smoke through veils? Wouldn't the heat cause the plastic to melt? And what about cigarette holders? Don't the chemicals start floating around when there's something that hot in the premisis?

As a (not-daily) smoker and hat-with-veil-wearer, I just move the veil up out of the way, "catching" it on my hatpin which is, of course, on the hat ;). It looks better than it sounds. Ettiquete-wise, who knows... :)

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Gregory Peck

Another manly man with a smoke. An Image of the era.
Gregory_Peck.jpg

Cheers!

Dan

Blackjack

One Too Many
"The tranquility and mellowness of the moments spent smoking my pipes overshadows the hazards. I would have to drink alcohol or take some kind of pills to feel as relaxed and tranquil as I do when smoking my pipes. Moderation is the key word when enjoying tobacco or alcohol or most anything (except hats)."

I agree 100%, there are risks in everything. People in Europe, (France and Italy especially) all smoke like feinds but their cancer and heart attack rate is much lower than here. Why, because a lot of it depends on what you eat and your lifestyle. Working at one of the largest hospitals in the Chicagoland area I can tell you way more nurses smoke than do not. This is a stress reliever and most of them do it in moderation. I suppose you can go through life never eating anything with refined sugars, or red meat, or fats, and not drink alchohol, or pop, or coffee, and you would probably still only live to what your genetics is going to alow. So I say do what makes you happy, everything in moderation, eat healthy and walk. Good words to live by because nothing will kill you faster than stress.

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
It is true Bogart looked great with a cigarette but look like hell near the end of his life when he died of throat cancer.
Then again George Burns looked great.

A side note: My mother smoked for 60 years and could never quit. My nephew wouldn't hug her because he said the cigarettes made her smell bad and made rude remarks about smoking. She still smoked.
I didn't give her a bad time because she didn't smoke in the house. She would go outside and I would talk to her on the porch. (Why is it no matter where I stand, the smoke blows towards me? A physical anomoly.) One of my young sons told her that he was sorry she smoked because that meant she would die earlier. She then quit, cold turkey. She's a tougher dame than I had thought.

Sincerely,
The Wolf

P.S. My dad says quitting is easy; he's done it lots of times!

Forrestal

One of the Regulars
I have enjoyed pipe smoking for 25 years or so.

I have several rules by which I live my life. While these rules may kill others, they sustain me.

Rule #1:
I never smoke when sleeping, and never refrain when awake.

I have no further restrictions?¢‚Ǩ¬¶

Regards,
Forrestal

(With apologies to Sam Clemens)

Forrestal said:
I have enjoyed pipe smoking for 25 years or so.

I have several rules by which I live my life. While these rules may kill others, they sustain me.

Rule #1:
I never smoke when sleeping, and never refrain when awake.

I have no further restrictions?¢‚Ǩ¬¶

Regards,
Forrestal

(With apologies to Sam Clemens)

I never smoke and drink at the same time either. You can't drink with a pipe or cigar in your mouth. :p :cheers1:

Regards to all,

J

Daniel Riser said:
That simply isn't true... um... never mind

Hahahahhaha! You must be a ventriloquist or something then. I want to see you drink an Old Fashioned while pulling in a puff from a cigar at the same time. :p ;) You can take a drink and then take a puff but not at the same time--- at least not to my knowledge. :p
This doesn't involve a water pipe with booze in it does it? :cheers1:

Regards to all,

J

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
jamespowers said:
You can take a drink and then take a puff but not at the same time--- at least not to my knowledge. J

I've seen it done! Sort of...

Get hold of a copy of the film "Mountains of the Moon." (1990) It's the story of Sir Richard Francis Burton (surprised he hasn't come up here, he was THE adventurer). There's a scene in which the guy playing Sir Richard pours brandy into a wide snifter, takes a pull on his cigar, blows the thick smoke slowly into the bowl of the snifter. So now there's a layer of brandy and all this thick white smoke lying on top of it. He tips the glass, and drinks the brandy while inhaling the cigar smoke into his nose.
When I saw the film (which isn't that great) in the theatre, we all gasped. When my friends and I got home, we tried it - once.
So put that in your smipe and poke it! :)

rip

New in Town
Sefton said:
They really knew how to make it look glamorous...too bad it's so dangerous. I suppose if they could ever make it with all of the disease causing elements removed we'd all start lighting up to full Bogart and Davis effect.
Sadly, kids still do, even with all the disease causing elements intact and known.

On a related note, I just saw "Good Night and Good Luck", which so well captured, among other things, the smoking culture of the 1950s. If there was a single scene without everyone smoking, I must have blinked and missed it.

I've smoked pipes and cigars for 8 or 9 years now. But have never touched cigarettes. I don't even like thinking about all the added chemicals and filler paper. Everybody that has smoked cigs in my family has died at an early age (under 60 yrs.). Yet the logest lived of my relatives have made it to 90+ smoking pipes and drinking everyday! I still think its the chemicals and not the tobacco itself that is harmful.

Weren't cigs free of those additives and fillers prior to 1920-30? I think that's when the big companies got hold of the populace by charging a lot less and selling a lesser quality product. I don't know if I've got that right. Hmmm.

Dr. Shocker

One of the Regulars
as a smoker and a drinker I would rather enjoy my life the way I want than to have Uncy Sam telling me how I can enjoy it.....here in Cali it is the new trend to ban smoking in public places......don't go near a park or a beach with a smoke its now a ticket......but don't worry once smoking is completly banned drinking will be next.......it really is a sad thing when people feel they can dictate how other people behave......my personal favorites are the people who claim second hand smoke is hurting them out doors in a light breeze.....sorry touchy subject for me as a smoker

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ