Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

*Snoods*

glass susie

New in Town
Those 2 in the film are gorgeous!

As I cannot knit to save my life, years ago I made one from a tin helmet's camo net like this;
imagesCAVKXVLT.jpg

I dyed it brown and thread a string around the outside. I have since used a wide ribbon instead which looks better.
It worked ok but as I had got ready without a mirror, I did not curl the front of my hair enough.
Apologies for the quality of this piccie but it's a scan.
snood.jpg

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Amelie said:
yeah it's simply un filet ?† cheveux in french, we don't have a particular word for that, or not that I am aware of :eek:

My first guess was the plural, but I went back and erased the x
to the singular, since that seemed more pratique. :)

epr25

Practically Family
I just wanted to pass this information along. There is an untapped resouce for snoods maybe even right around the corner from you. The asian everythig shops. You know the shops that sell hair extensions and black (I hope this term doesn't offend anyone) hair care. The ones around here have everything from baby diapers to tires? Ours are in the black section of town. I guess because with the hair stuff it's more convienet for everyone to shop there. But I was able to find just about any color I would ever need and the best part is that they are elastisized and were only .99 You can't beat it. I would recomend taking one that you might have in with you so you can show them what you are looking for since there migth be a langauge barrier. I just had to look because I asked for a snood and they looked at me like I was crazy! I guess they have another use now but they are quite versatile.

Home-made Snoods

Well, I've been a fan of snoods for some years now, but only recently actually made some.

I used one of several crochet patterns from the 1940's, and here the result in a green wool:

greensnood3.jpg

greensnoodback.jpg

greensweaterandsnood.jpg

[The flower in my hair is from the white passion vine in my back yard]

I was so pleased with the results of this one (which I made to match the sweater i am wearing) that I made another in Vanilla colored chenille yarn, and plan to make even more in every color I can think of including some metallics =)

I'll also be experimenting with the other patterns to see how they come out. If anyone would like me to email you the pattern, just PM me. I'm actually thinking I'd like to try selling some on ebay and see how they do.

I'll put up more pictures soon.

Oh - as a side note, I find it works best to wear a hair net under this to keep ends from poking through the open pattern. I just pin it to my hair behind the rolls and all is well for the whole day!

More pictures coming soon....

Kimberly

Practically Family
Hamilton, I LOVE that snood! I made a commitment to myself to quit smoking May 1st and have to learn to do something with my hands (other than eating) to take my mind off of cigerettes and sewing and crocheting are my top pics. Are they super hard to make?

BTW: I was looking at snoods on eBay and IMO there is only one seller who makes them in high quality similar to yours. The other ones look a little flimsier.

Kimberly said:
Hamilton, I LOVE that snood! I made a commitment to myself to quit smoking May 1st and have to learn to do something with my hands (other than eating) to take my mind off of cigerettes and sewing and crocheting are my top pics. Are they super hard to make?

BTW: I was looking at snoods on eBay and IMO there is only one seller who makes them in high quality similar to yours. The other ones look a little flimsier.

Congratulations on quitting smoking! Crochet is wonderful for something to do with the hands. I found this pattern pretty easy to follow, and you should be able to make it up in a couple of nights.

As with any pattern, the material (or yarn) used makes all the difference. I used a worsted wool by Patons that had a very nice hand to it, and it holds the pattern very well, and is very comfortable to wear.

If you want the pattern, just PM me your email address!

Adelaidey

One of the Regulars
Hamilton, the snood and your whole hairstyle are both divine! Very lovely indeed-- I'd love that pattern, pretty please!:D I'm a bit of a novice at crochet, but I'd love to give it the old college try!

Kimberly said:
I made a commitment to myself to quit smoking May 1st and have to learn to do something with my hands (other than eating) to take my mind off of cigerettes and sewing and crocheting are my top pics. Are they super hard to make?

And Kimberly, best of luck on kicking the habit-- cold turkey and cross-stitching is how my mum quit many years ago-- as a result, we've got them all over the house! lol But it did the trick! Good luck!

Grnidwitch

A-List Customer
HHoney,

You look so cute. I've PM'd you for the patterns. I'm so tired of hair clips and ponytails.

Kimberly,

Good luck to you. I've got my target date set. I want to be smoke free at least 50 days or more by my 50th birthday, which is Aug. 22nd. I'm actually looking forward to not smoking.

Decobelle

One of the Regulars
Hamilton_Honey said:
Well, I've been a fan of snoods for some years now, but only recently actually made some.

I used one of several crochet patterns from the 1940's, and here the result in a green wool:

[The flower in my hair is from the white passion vine in my back yard]

I was so pleased with the results of this one (which I made to match the sweater i am wearing) that I made another in Vanilla colored chenille yarn, and plan to make even more in every color I can think of including some metallics =)

I'll also be experimenting with the other patterns to see how they come out. If anyone would like me to email you the pattern, just PM me. I'm actually thinking I'd like to try selling some on ebay and see how they do.

I'll put up more pictures soon.

Oh - as a side note, I find it works best to wear a hair net under this to keep ends from poking through the open pattern. I just pin it to my hair behind the rolls and all is well for the whole day!

More pictures coming soon....

H. Honey, that snood looks terrific! I love it.

Tough Cookie

One of the Regulars
Hamilton_Honey said:
Hamilton Honey, not only are those fabulous pictures (and you really are unfairly photogenic!), but that is *quiet* a lovely snood--certainly the nicest I've seen (I'd order one in red for darn sure ;) ).

So, could you all be specific as to how you attach it to your hair? I don't know if it's just because my hair is so slick, or the acryllic is too slippy in conjunction with my hair), but I have a heck of a time keeping it in at the right angle. I know you guy ssay "pin it", but bobby pins straight across just aren't cutting it for me. :( Slides right out.

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
HH, that is a GORGEOUS snood and lovely pictures overall! one of these days i'll finish my stupid sweater and be able to make a snood guilt-free :D

i'm curious, how long is your hair?

:eek:fftopic: pink_d, i see that you watched your download.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21