Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

*Snoods*

RaasAlHayya

A-List Customer
Hamilton Honey, your snood looks great; I really like the pattern you crocheted into it. The green of your snood and dress, the reddish tint of your hair and your peaches-and-cream complexion, set off by the creamy passion flower...you look so put-together and elegant!

--Leslie

Adelaidey said:
Hamilton, the snood and your whole hairstyle are both divine! Very lovely indeed-- I'd love that pattern, pretty please!:D I'm a bit of a novice at crochet, but I'd love to give it the old college try!

And Kimberly, best of luck on kicking the habit-- cold turkey and cross-stitching is how my mum quit many years ago-- as a result, we've got them all over the house! lol But it did the trick! Good luck!

Thank you for the sweet compliments! If you PM me with your email address I'll be happy To send you the pattern!

Tough Cookie said:
Hamilton Honey, not only are those fabulous pictures (and you really are unfairly photogenic!), but that is *quiet* a lovely snood--certainly the nicest I've seen (I'd order one in red for darn sure ;) ).

So, could you all be specific as to how you attach it to your hair? I don't know if it's just because my hair is so slick, or the acryllic is too slippy in conjunction with my hair), but I have a heck of a time keeping it in at the right angle. I know you guy ssay "pin it", but bobby pins straight across just aren't cutting it for me. :( Slides right out.

You're so sweet! Thank you for the nice compliments.

I wold just love to make one up for you in red! PM me with your email address and we can work out the details.

As for keeping snoods on, i don't put elastic in mine - I use the yarn to draw it up to where I want it and then use vintage bobby pins to secure it (they are stronger than newer ones) But i would also suggest trying some hair combs - get one or two smallish ones and sew to front of snood with teeth facing to back of your head and slide them into hair when you put it on. Add a few bobby pins to make more secure, and I think it may work well for you.

ShooShooBaby said:
HH, that is a GORGEOUS snood and lovely pictures overall! one of these days i'll finish my stupid sweater and be able to make a snood guilt-free :D

i'm curious, how long is your hair?

:eek:fftopic: pink_d, i see that you watched your download.

ShooShooBaby: My hair is about 2" past my shoulders. when wearing snoods, I find it helps for my hair to be curly or at least back-combed a little to help fill it out.

goldwyn girl said:
Hamilton_Honey, you and your snood are adorable, makes me wish I could crochet

Thank you, Goldwyn Girl!

RaasAlHayya said:
Hamilton Honey, your snood looks great; I really like the pattern you crocheted into it. The green of your snood and dress, the reddish tint of your hair and your peaches-and-cream complexion, set off by the creamy passion flower...you look so put-together and elegant!

--Leslie

Ok - now I'm blushing! Thanks for the kind words!

I'll be posting in the Classifieds soon for those who would like to order a custom made snood...:)

AirborneSally

New in Town
Here is me in my snood, I dont have short enough bangs so I cant curl them up, I started growing them out and now im conflicted! but tell me...do you think I would look good with the bangs? in your oppinion.

Picture105.jpg

Picture102.jpg

this is the bangs I want to get, but Im soo scared they wont look good!

l_5cf733d049303bee5ee70e7dfb692d1f.jpg

princessofcandl

One of the Regulars
AirborneSally said:
this is the bangs I want to get, but Im soo scared they wont look good!

l_5cf733d049303bee5ee70e7dfb692d1f.jpg

FYI.... I love that look too. Xept when I love it its on Betty Page and not that flippy-wannabee I see everywhere. Anyhoo... I did get the cut knowing that it might be a challenge cuz I've got very wavy hair. Its really hard to keep up. You are forever fixing them. And I had to get trimmed every other week. I think you have a very nice soft face. You're features aren't harsh like the bone structure on Betty and fakebetty. I think you would do well with a soft bang or even a long bang (long meaning it starts at the crown and straightens down.

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
princessofcandl said:
FYI.... I love that look too. Xept when I love it its on Betty Page and not that flippy-wannabee I see everywhere. Anyhoo... I did get the cut knowing that it might be a challenge cuz I've got very wavy hair. Its really hard to keep up. You are forever fixing them. And I had to get trimmed every other week. I think you have a very nice soft face. You're features aren't harsh like the bone structure on Betty and fakebetty. I think you would do well with a soft bang or even a long bang (long meaning it starts at the crown and straightens down.

FYI, no need to get personal. There are a lot of gals here who are great pin-up models. They do everything from Betty Page to Betty Grable, and they look great doing it. They aren't "flippy-wannabes", they are fans of the classic pin-up gals and their modeling is often an homage to them, their style, the era. I know you're not making generalizations about any certain person here or outside of the lounge who is into Betty, or any of the other pin-ups. You seem to like the look, if you're contemplating the hair style. But, making rude comments and getting personal about a person, whether they are an active member of the lounge or not, isn't fair at all. You never know when Bernie Dexter might drop by the lounge, or if any of the many pin-ups that are members here might be a good friend of hers. It's a general rule here that if we don't like a certain person we keep it to ourselves. Especially when said person doesn't even have the opportunity to defend themselves in regards to such harsh comments.
Please don't take any of this the wrong way, it's just if one person starts expressing such a dislike for another person on a public forum, it might add fuel to the fire. This thread is about snoods, not about who we might like or dislike. Please remember that your comments can be seen by a great deal of people, including the person you're making the comment about and/or their friends.....

As for snoods, I thought once my hair grew out I'd be able to wear one. They are perfect for the summer especially. Nothing worse than having all my hair on the back of my neck when it's 90 degrees and humid:eek: But, even though I seem to have a lot of hair, it still doesn't fill out a snood. I thought I could finally get rid of my "fonytail", but it looks like I"m gonna have to hold onto it. It's the only way my snoods look OK[huh]

GOK

One Too Many
princessofcandl said:

Is the 'fake Bettie' and the 'flippy-wannabe' that you refer to, Bernie Dexter (as pictured above)? I actually find that quite offensive as Bernie is a friend of mine and one of the loveliest ladies I know. I think it a rather shallow attitude to judge someone merely on their appearance. :(

Bernie is not a Bettie-wannabe and did in fact, adopt her own look long before she had even heard of the lovely Bettie Page. Just as many dark haired women who have a fringe and wear 1950s fashions (including myself) have and will continue to do. Bearing a resemblance to a person does not necessarily indicate blatant imitation...I'm sure the majority of men here are not trying to be Cary Grant, despite wearing their hair and dressing in a similar fashion.

catsmeow

One of the Regulars
I always liked the way the ladies wear snoods with those riding hats. Very elegant. Snood-it's a funny name isn't it!!
Sorry to bring up again, but I think Bernie looks fabulous. I'm even thinking of buying some stuff off her website. She always looks good.

AirborneSally

New in Town
Thanks for the advice, I cut my bangs a week ago, its really hard to keep them looking good and the lady who cut them cut them so they get shorter on the sides instead of same all the way across. BUt im trying to work with it! I have pics on my myspace, myspace.com/siegedasith
if you dont have myspace i can post them on here

Miss Lucy June

One of the Regulars
Hamilton, so cute!

I just found a knitting pattern for a snood from an old old magazine, I was thinking about making one. If it works out, would anyone want one? It doesn't look too hard to make. ( I say that now )

Decobelle

One of the Regulars
I wore my snood from Retro L'amour Saturday, and it got me a ride in this Model A roadster... (its owner liked the outfit)

47b7da11b3127cce83cb8289468c00000016100JZOG7Zm1Yo

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pablosstuff