Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

*Snoods*

Tigerlily

One of the Regulars
Snoooooooood!

I bought my first snood today! There's this darling little shop in Old Town San Diego called The Johnson House that sells many Victorian-inspired things and they had these in a bunch of colors! I remembered seeing them on here so I tried one on and absolutely loved how it looked. I ended up buying a foresty green one that I wore all day. So if you're ever in Old Town, definitely check out that shop. :)

miss_killin

Familiar Face
Oh oh oh! I am in looove. I have long thick wavy hair, I have yet to find a hairdresser and a vintage cut I can pull off with long hair. This is just the item I need to throw my hair up in the morning! Not alot of time with a newborn and all, I just purchased 4 of them on ebay!:D

Inky

One Too Many
You are going to love them Miss Killin! I wear them often and they really give you a great look - with only having to do the front of your hair. Smart ladies, those 40's gals (and civil war gals...and medieval gals.... and all the snood-wearing gals :D )

welcome to the Lounge!

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
I hope the ladies won't mind my posting, but I wanted to share the snood my wife recently bought. She actually bought two, black and cream, from the Snood Lady: http://www.thesnoodlady.com/

DSC09169.jpg

DSC09168.jpg

DSC09167.jpg

Cheers,
Nick

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
CherryRed said:
I sell mine on etsy for $10. I don't see how that is a lot of money for the supplies involved, and time to make one. How much do you
think you should be paying for a handmade item??:(

I did not mean to offend, but I wasn't thinking about the new ones - but snoods made in the 40s and 50s. I compare those prices to bags and hats from the same time and can often find such items in that price range, and I just think a bag or a hat is a much more 'expensive' item, that's why I thought they could be cheaper.

Oh and I am very new to Etsy (I haven't bought anything from it yet), I normally get stuff from Ebay - so if I have the concept wrong, I am sorry too (meaning, I thought Etsy sold vintage pieces aswell, besides handmade pieces?).

Nick D - your wife is beautiful and I like her snood :)!

helenhighwater

Familiar Face
(Hello Dahrling!)

I've wondered about getting a snood from the Snood Lady. I keep hoping I'll magically be able to crochet myself one, but crochet is confusing the heck out of me. Might save me stress to just buy one!

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
helenhighwater said:
(Hello Dahrling!)

I've wondered about getting a snood from the Snood Lady. I keep hoping I'll magically be able to crochet myself one, but crochet is confusing the heck out of me. Might save me stress to just buy one!

Hi Helen!!

Caity Lynn

Practically Family
lol wow I feel odd, I' ve been wearing one since Elementary school [huh] the hazards of taking your kid to Gettysburg and such places for "fun day outings" or "vacations" they end up crazy nerds lol. I still have 2 although I never wear them [huh]

but then again I don't dress vintage. I just like the styles and the hair and makeup, I don't have the guts to go full out vintage, or the money at the moment, But when I get a job I"ll be buying vintage inspired more lol

Darhling said:
I did not mean to offend, but I wasn't thinking about the new ones - but snoods made in the 40s and 50s. I compare those prices to bags and hats from the same time and can often find such items in that price range, and I just think a bag or a hat is a much more 'expensive' item, that's why I thought they could be cheaper.

Oh and I am very new to Etsy (I haven't bought anything from it yet), I normally get stuff from Ebay - so if I have the concept wrong, I am sorry too (meaning, I thought Etsy sold vintage pieces aswell, besides handmade pieces?).

Nick D - your wife is beautiful and I like her snood :)!

Etsy does have vintage but no vintage snoods. All on there are newly handmade. There are some in the vintage catagory but they really don't belonge there since they are made new and not over 20 years old (Etsy's rules on posting in this catagory).
As for finding a real vintage one and comparing the price to the price of a hand bag, I think that's along the lines of comparing apples and oranges. JMO

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
CherryRed said:
Etsy does have vintage but no vintage snoods. All on there are newly handmade. There are some in the vintage catagory but they really don't belonge there since they are made new and not over 20 years old (Etsy's rules on posting in this catagory).
As for finding a real vintage one and comparing the price to the price of a hand bag, I think that's along the lines of comparing apples and oranges. JMO

Again, I am truly sorry if I offended you. I guess my thinking is just different [huh] And thank you for the tip about the snoods not being 'real' vintage!

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
helenhighwater said:

Ive ordered from the Snood Lady. I got one of her last crocheted snoods that she herself did not make. Al in all I spent about $23 (that included shipping to the US), which was a steal in my opinion. Shes nice and although the site is a bit old, shes prompt with emails.

LD

helenhighwater

Familiar Face
I think I shall visit the snood lady!

Yeah, her site is a tad.. erm... 'vintage', but I forgive her as it's impressive for someone of her age. And for gawd's sake, I can't even crochet, so I'll give the woman a break on her html skills. ;)

miss_killin

Familiar Face
Might be a silly question, but how do you wear snoods? I have long very thick wavy hair, so I just let it naturally dry overnight and stuff it in the snood with a pomp in the front and a few side curls sticking out. Are you supposed to bun your hair in the back or just pile in the snood loosely?

Antje

One Too Many
deadpandiva said:
019_7A.jpg

I just recently purchased this. I am not sure how old it is.

I can't tell how old but i know I adore this snood, great buy i think

misskillin I put my hair loos into the snood and wear it with rolls or a pomp in the front

Inky

One Too Many
miss_killin said:
Might be a silly question, but how do you wear snoods? I have long very thick wavy hair, so I just let it naturally dry overnight and stuff it in the snood with a pomp in the front and a few side curls sticking out. Are you supposed to bun your hair in the back or just pile in the snood loosely?

I can wear mine now just loose in the snood, but I also have used a hair piece in it when my hair was not long enough. I have heard the tip to use a fine hairnet (you can buy them at sally's or other such beauty supply shops) over your hair before you put the snood on to not have any hair poking out of the snood. In the front I have done Pomps, Curls, sort of rolls (I say sort of because I am not good at them yet).

In my avatar picture I am wearing a black snood that has a bow on top with a pompadour.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elzbthy