Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Snow boots

waingirl

One of the Regulars
I know, I know, it's only August. lol I'm not wishing the snow here anytime soon, but I would like to know what you ladies that live in cold weather climates, wear for winter boots? Do you wear vintage repro's? Any pictures would be great!

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
They're not very pretty, but I love my Lands' End chukka boots. I believe they have Thinsulate. I think that a thick sole really helps keep your feet insulated and warm, too.

Summer isn't actually a bad time for these purchases. I bought the boots for $20 and a down parka for $30 last year at Lands' End Overstocks web site.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
you know, with how fast time flies, it will be winter time before we know it! I'm more for looking good than comfort :rolleyes: I've got two pairs of black leather boots, one high heeled and the other with just a little heel to them. I actualy wear these all year round and if I'm outside with the kiddies, I usually just put on a pair of old sneakers.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
Although I do not live in a snowy climate, I have always wanted a pair like decodoll's :)

rainboots.jpg

RetroMom

One of the Regulars
I got mine from Vermont Country Store www.Vermontcountrystore.com.

They are short ( what my mother would call "pants boots", because they are just a little above the ankle). I have them in black and they saw me through the blizzard we had here in Northeast last year.:)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Oh gee -- I used to wear galoshes back in high school, the black rubber kind that closed with buckles. We had this really old-timey clothing store in town where they were still selling off old stock that went back who-knows-how-far, and every winter I'd get a new pair of boots there. The problem with them was the buckles were held on by strips of rubberized canvas, which would wear thru fairly quickly and the buckles would fall off. Haven't seen these in years!

They also had rubbers -- the kind that were shaped with a heel that you could stretch over dress shoes, and I wish wish wish there was a place doing repros of those now.

I am sorely envious of Decodoll's boots -- those are exactly what I've been trying to find in my size. Right now I have a pair of brown leather London Fog ankle boots that look kinda-vintage, but not enough to really suit me.

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It is a requirement here in Boston, if you want to navigate through the city sidewalks that are piled up with snow not only from major storms but from snow plows that dump all of the snow from the street onto the sidewalk, to have a reliable pair of snow boots.
I have yet to find a repro that can handle this kind of weather. I have a pair of LL Bean duck boots, lined with thinsulate, they go up past my calf. They are probably the ugliest boots ever made, but they are incredibly reliable and comfortable. LL Bean is a great outfitter for everything outdoors, based in Maine, their Freeport store is open 24 hours a day. I have been wearing duck boots since I could walk. Hemingway Jones and I have matching pairs, isn't that sweet!! They are so well made, that his are over 10 years old, and still in great condition. Mine are 3 years old, and they still look brand new. They even come with a 10 year sole replacement warranty. They are great in the rain, snow, sleet, just made for the crazy New England weather we have. Once again, they aren't the prettiest of boots, but when it comes to keeping my feet warm in a blizzard, I wouldn't wear anything else.check them out here

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Oh, DecoDoll, those boots are divine!

I saw a great pair last year that looked quite 1940s with the shearling trim but I didn't buy them and now I'm kicking myself. They were either at LL Bean or JJill. I'm keeping my eye out for them as the Fall/Winter catalogs begin arriving--got my first one of the season the day it was 103 degrees outside!

Tourbillion

Practically Family
I was wondering what do vintage snow boots look like? I know my grannies wore rubber booties over their street shoes. Also, I'd imagine that boots were hard to come by during the war. But what did they look like?

I've seen cowboy boots, combat boots, granny boots that are vintage. But, I'd never seen a picture of a woman in boots from the 40's (I have a photo of my auntie in hiking boots, but she is wearing pants so that doesn't count does it?)

I googled this:

williston_1950_1.jpg

It doesn't seem possible, but is that a woman in the photo actually going to ski in a skirt? Please tell me no. I would imagine that pants would have been okay for skiing, but it seems that ski boots were unisex.

So what did women wear for boots then? I have granny boots, does that count?

Rosie

One Too Many
If it's very snowy here in NY, I usually take a taxi to work and home as to not have to climb through the snow but when it's necessary :( I wear an old pair of ugly Lugz boots that I've had since high school during my hip hop kid days lol. They're very ugly and don't watch anything I own but, they get the job done. Then, I just switch to my cute-sy shoes once I get where I need to be. And yes Decodoll those shoes are tooooooo cute. :eusa_clap

decodoll

Practically Family
Thanks, everyone. I was thrilled to find them...and the fact that not may other people seemed to have seen them, so I got them for much less than I expected to pay. :)

Tourbillion, I don't see a woman in a skirt in your picture...am I missing something?

Tourbillion

Practically Family
I think I must have been imagining something. Still what did run of the mill boots look like in the 40's? Does anyone even have a photo?

Your booties are cute, but they won't cut it in a heavy snow storm. I've seen high heeled stiletto 50's boots, but 40's boots seem to be missing.

Tourbillion

Practically Family
Yay, thanks Decodoll! those non-rationed rubber thingys are exactly what my grannies wore.

I specifically remember one pair of item #31 that my dad's mom used to put over her heels for rain or light snow. It seemed like a lot of bother to me, but I guess you can shovel the driveway before work and not spoil your nice heels.

My mom used to just wear open toed high heeled sandals in the snow! (but that was the 70's and she would shriek on her way to the car)

decodoll

Practically Family
You're welcome, Tourbillion. I have a couple of vintage pairs like #31 myself. They're good for when it's just sprinkling, and you want to keep your peeptoes dry! Plus, they're easy to keep in your purse. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart