Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Snow boots

decodoll

Practically Family
So do I, Rosie! Yes, it basically just covers your toes, and the sling part stretches around the back of your shoe to hold them on. I got both pairs of mine on ebay. They don't usually go for very much.

waingirl

One of the Regulars
decodoll said:
I took a photo of my 1944-45 Fall/Winter Montgomery Wards Catalogue.

snowboots.jpg

That catalogue photo is great decodoll. For a Syracuse winter I would definitely need the tallest pair-#15. :) It's too bad that there isn't a company out there that makes vintage repros for winter boots. Even if you had a pair of real vintage, it would be insane to wear them out and ruin them.

maisie

Practically Family
Ohh decodoll I love your boots! Why can't i find any like that in my size! :rage: Cause i've got a 40's black coat, muff and hat all trim in that curly lamb (or persian lamb, or whatever different names it has been called lol!) and i think it is so cute!
I have a pair of black galoshes, that go over shoes, they are like black velveteen material on the outside with a fur trim over the top and are all fleece lined on the inside to keep your tooties warm! lol! But i'm worried that if i wear the the heel of the shoes with go through the rubber!!:eek:

decodoll

Practically Family
waingirl said:
That catalogue photo is great decodoll. For a Syracuse winter I would definitely need the tallest pair-#15. :) It's too bad that there isn't a company out there that makes vintage repros for winter boots. Even if you had a pair of real vintage, it would be insane to wear them out and ruin them.

Number 15 looks to be a pretty basic galosh style. I should think you'll be able to find something very similar today.

maise said:
Ohh decodoll I love your boots! Why can't i find any like that in my size! Cause i've got a 40's black coat, muff and hat all trim in that curly lamb (or persian lamb, or whatever different names it has been called !) and i think it is so cute!
I have a pair of black galoshes, that go over shoes, they are like black velveteen material on the outside with a fur trim over the top and are all fleece lined on the inside to keep your tooties warm! ! But i'm worried that if i wear the the heel of the shoes with go through the rubber!!
Today 02:39 PM

Thanks, Maise! It took me awhile to find them even in my size. I was watching ebay for a few years. I have a pair like you describe as well. I was never really afraid about the rubber heel, however, I was always concerned about the boot rubbing against my vintage shoes! :eek: I have a 1940's winter 3/4 length persian lamb coat the matches my boots very well, but it never really gets cold enough here to wear it. :rolleyes:

maisie

Practically Family
Thanks, Maise! It took me awhile to find them even in my size. I was watching ebay for a few years. I have a pair like you describe as well. I was never really afraid about the rubber heel, however, I was always concerned about the boot rubbing against my vintage shoes! :eek: I have a 1940's winter 3/4 length persian lamb coat the matches my boots very well, but it never really gets cold enough here to wear it. :rolleyes:

Well living in England means that i never have to worry about the weather, or will i get the chance to wear 'yet another' coat!!lol Good excuse for buying them as you need one for all occasions! Even know in August it has been raining all day!![huh]

I know what you mean about the shoes rubbing againest the inside, but i was more concerned with get a pair of shoes that would actually fit inside!:rolleyes: So i manged to get a pair of NOS CC41 pumps that fit perfectly and as they are leather, not suede ;) that would be a nightmare, so they sort of get a quick polish from the fleece inside the boot!!lol

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
maisie said:
Ohh decodoll I love your boots! Why can't i find any like that in my size! :rage: Cause i've got a 40's black coat, muff and hat all trim in that curly lamb (or persian lamb, or whatever different names it has been called lol!) and i think it is so cute!
I have a pair of black galoshes, that go over shoes, they are like black velveteen material on the outside with a fur trim over the top and are all fleece lined on the inside to keep your tooties warm! lol! But i'm worried that if i wear the the heel of the shoes with go through the rubber!!:eek:

Maisie, I'd love to see a photo of your persian lamb ensemble if you have one. Thanks!

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
Cause i've got a 40's black coat, muff and hat all trim in that curly lamb

I have two sets with the same trim--one is a black wool coat, and the other is a grey swagger coat with black Persian lamb trim. I just had a photo taken of the black ensemble the other day, so I will have to post it here :)

Tafty

New in Town
US Gaytees

My first post....wow what a great forum! This company made adorable rain and snow boots! You can see lots of ads on ebay, plus an occasional pair. If anybody has a tiny size 5 foot, I have a pair NOS in the box. Way too small for me but couldn't pass them up.

66_1.jpg

tn_is.jpg

Cheers,
Beth

maisie

Practically Family
Here are some pics of the persian lamb 'ensemble'! ( it all is really jet black, but the camera disagrees!!)
I got the coat of ebay about this time last year, yet i have only just recieved it because i had it sent to a friend in CA (cause seller wouldn't send over here!) who kept it and they posted it over surface!!
I also got the muff off ebay, but the hat i got at a military show for the amazing price of £8 ($15)! It was on a stall with a lady selling lots of overpriced 40's items, but this was her friends! There is nothing wrong with it, perfect condition and its great cause i have been looking for one for ages!! And they normally seem to go for so much on ebay!

P3042650.jpg
P3042654.jpg

P3042656.jpg

maisie

Practically Family
Yes, i love the shape, unfortunatly it looks a bit creased in the photos and the manniquin was too small, but it looks so much better on a real person! Now I just need the cold weather to wear it in!

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
Yes, i love the shape, unfortunatly it looks a bit creased in the photos and the manniquin was too small, but it looks so much better on a real person! Now I just need the cold weather to wear it in!

Yes, we need the cold weather here as well (I am very ready for the blazing heat to go away :)) Even though it never gets terribly cold, I still get to wear my coats for about a month!

decodoll

Practically Family
Absolutely Gorgeous!!!!! It's a good thing you live so far away, Maise! I'd be very tempted to turn to a life of crime to get my hands on that set!!

olive bleu

One Too Many
Daisy Buchanan said:
It is a requirement here in Boston, if you want to navigate through the city sidewalks that are piled up with snow not only from major storms but from snow plows that dump all of the snow from the street onto the sidewalk, to have a reliable pair of snow boots.
I have yet to find a repro that can handle this kind of weather. I have a pair of LL Bean duck boots, lined with thinsulate, they go up past my calf. They are probably the ugliest boots ever made, but they are incredibly reliable and comfortable. LL Bean is a great outfitter for everything outdoors, based in Maine, their Freeport store is open 24 hours a day. I have been wearing duck boots since I could walk. Hemingway Jones and I have matching pairs, isn't that sweet!! They are so well made, that his are over 10 years old, and still in great condition. Mine are 3 years old, and they still look brand new. They even come with a 10 year sole replacement warranty. They are great in the rain, snow, sleet, just made for the crazy New England weather we have. Once again, they aren't the prettiest of boots, but when it comes to keeping my feet warm in a blizzard, I wouldn't wear anything else.check them out here
hey i have these very same Bean boots!!! I have had mine for about 4 years,i was going to buy something new this year, but maybe i will stick with them after all. Seems it is going to be apretty big challenge getting something beautiful and warm enough for these northeast coast winters!!

Miss Crisplock

A-List Customer
I can't be sure by the picture, but while it is rare, I have seen women ski in skirts. Women started out skiing in skirts, and some still do, ususally for religious reasons. Nuns ski in their habits, of course.

Honey Doll

Practically Family
Yes sir...

Marc Chevalier said:
But those snow boots made of suede. Huh?

And high heels, for very carefully walking about town being especially sure to avoid any snow or ice as might cause injury...or worse damage to your lovely boots.

Honey Doll

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart