Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So a lady called me a Pimp today....

Edward

Bartender
I wouldn't get bent out of shape over the use of that specific word. A lot of people nowadays simply don't think of the original meaning of the word, thinking more of "pimp" in the sense of "Pimp my Ride". I can't say without having been there, but it could have been a clumsy attempt at a compliment - in the same way as often get told I look "like a gangster" when in a fedora and suit. Which doesn't offend me (much better that than a cowboy comment). Some here take offence at that due to the connotations of organised crime, but really in my experience 99% of the time when people say "pimp" or "gangster" or "1920s" or "Charlie Chaplain" (yes, really.... in a thirties style jacket and trousers ensemble, with a four in hand tie and wearing a white eight panel cap....) or "Poirot" or "cowboy" or whatever.... 99% of the time, it's intended as a compliment. Clumsily worded, maybe, but I find it far more constructive to take it in the spirit in which it is meant than to get defensive over it. The other 1%, well.... file under not worth dignifying with a response. Mind you, sometimes when people try to insult me I like to behave as if it's the most massive compliment ever, just to play with their (inevitably tiny) minds. lol

Most people that make such comments about our hats are probably either being stupid or trying to be a comedian rather than trying to insult.

fedora=pimp or gangster
homburg=gangster (if they knew it was a banker's hat they would probably say one percenter)
cowboy=obviously must be a cowboy
boater=barbershop quartet member
any others?

fedora (brown) = Indiana Jones :doh:

Walt

One of the Regulars
Since for many people (i.e. the general public) wearing a vintage hat or vintage style hat (especially hats with wide brims) is strange for them I suppose it will for them require comment or if none is made they will think a person wearing such a thing means the wearer is a performer in costume or a historical reinactor or whatever.

Who cares what they say or do as we'll wear our hats with pride! And I bet we'll have the last laugh....

Ok so how many of us have been called a pimp while wearing out favorite fedora out and about? In what world is it ok for a grown woman to call a man a pimp because of his hat? I would like to lie and say it did not bother me but it did.

Obviously she has had a history of bad dealings with her pimp in the past. Her emotional state prompted her to act out as a compassionate man you need to excuse such behavior because we should not hold people to any type of standards or you'll be the one that is predjudicial.:eusa_doh:

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
In defense of comment-makers, when someone puts on a hat, they often look like a something that has a stereotype, as mentioned earlier in the thread. One of my favorite Borsalinos has a wide brim and low crown, and it evokes the gangster response. But I don't get worried. You select a hat if you think it looks good on you, straight up: If yes, wear it, if no, don't wear it. So even if someone says I look like a gangster, my main concern is "do I think I look good in it." That's the same calculation I'd make with any article of clothing. If I wear jeans and boots and someone says I look like a cowboy, so be it. So I don't take offense at being characterized, and fall back on what I think it looks like. Now if people's comments or looks indicate that the hat just doesn't look good per se, then that's a worry for me. But I try to sort that out before going out in public. Looks good to me? I wear it.

Walt

One of the Regulars
Late 20s I did just move on just frustrating because usually I get compliments from my fedoras and she just seemed ok with calling me a ho pusher lol

I too have had more "nice hat" comments than the negative or stupid ones. She probably just didn't know that it's called a fedora.

Pinesiw

A-List Customer
She clearly did not have any respect for your choice of style, I understand how that can be annoying. Some people just have no idea what a fedora or cap is. the golden era can be portrayed as many things in other peoples eyes.

Her little boy asked if I was a cowboy she said no that is a pimp hat

Huh. And didn't the little guy ask what a "pimp" is?

If I were so unwise as to say such a thing to a kid too young to understand the definition, I just can't imagine how I would answer the question it would likely spark in his little head.

I clearly recall a little guy -- three or four years old, I suppose -- in the company of a young man I assumed to be his father, pointing at me (I was wearing an old Stetson Open Road with a widish brim at the time) and saying "cowboy!" I said something like "Sure am. But I forgot where I left my horse!"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart