Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So a lady called me a Pimp today....

randooch

I'll Lock Up
If she asked you if you were a pimp, you should've asked her if she was lookin' for a new one...

That wouldn't affect her kids and it would give her somethin' to think about the next time she opens her mouth.
Perfect! Alas, the best retorts occur to us too late.

I dunno, guys.

This place is devoted to attire -- hats, mostly, although lengthy and thorough discussions of just about every aspect of male attire can be found in one or another of the forums here.

What can also be found here are repeated riffs on the general theme of "I don't give damn what anyone thinks of my hat," or "my vintage suit," or whatever.

Frankly, most of the time I don't believe it. Indeed, I tend toward thinking just the opposite is closer to the truth. It's not that the person who professes such a disregard for other peoples' take on his attire is lying, to himself or to anyone else, but only that he is kinda fooling himself, or trying to cultivate in his own mind a image of himself as a sort of self-secure individualist.

I suggest that such a person provides evidence to the contrary just by repeatedly saying he doesn't care what others think. If he really didn't care, he wouldn't give it voice at all, would he?

Look, I can understand not caring what some people might think, and I still have enough of the antagonistic jerk in me that I can understand actually welcoming the disapproval of certain no good so-and-so's. But I really, really doubt there is a person here who has total disregard for the opinions of others. I sure hope not, anyway, as such a person would be unfit to function in any human society.

"The lady doth protest too much, methinks."

Bitzelbook

New in Town
Interesting point, tonyb! I agree, for the most part: all of us here choose to wear hats, a fashion choice that hasn't been mainstream in quite some time. I know that I've been wearing hats for long enough now that I take it for granted in my own silhouette, but it's still probably a surprise to many people I meet. Of course the fact that hats aren't as common as they once were doesn't give anyone the right to make stupid or snide remarks at our expense, but I think it comes with the territory.

nice hat dude!

One Too Many
Well said sir,I'd only like to interject that if we were less insecure about ourselves we probably wouldn't really worry as much about what others thought about the way we dressed ect. This would only go as far as personal style,we still need to be held accountable for our moralistic views or actions,and that we can't honestly say that we don't care what other people think.Some would call it political correctness but as soon as those words come up in a sentence so to does peoples ire.Again well said.

Edward

Bartender
How dare you accuse me of trying to stand out. I dress "normal", I'll have you know! For myself, not to get noticed!!

It's everyone else that looks like [insert pejorative here]

lol

I dunno, guys.

This place is devoted to attire -- hats, mostly, although lengthy and thorough discussions of just about every aspect of male attire can be found in one or another of the forums here.

What can also be found here are repeated riffs on the general theme of "I don't give damn what anyone thinks of my hat," or "my vintage suit," or whatever.

Frankly, most of the time I don't believe it. Indeed, I tend toward thinking just the opposite is closer to the truth. It's not that the person who professes such a disregard for other peoples' take on his attire is lying, to himself or to anyone else, but only that he is kinda fooling himself, or trying to cultivate in his own mind a image of himself as a sort of self-secure individualist.

I suggest that such a person provides evidence to the contrary just by repeatedly saying he doesn't care what others think. If he really didn't care, he wouldn't give it voice at all, would he?

Look, I can understand not caring what some people might think, and I still have enough of the antagonistic jerk in me that I can understand actually welcoming the disapproval of certain no good so-and-so's. But I really, really doubt there is a person here who has total disregard for the opinions of others. I sure hope not, anyway, as such a person would be unfit to function in any human society.

"The lady doth protest too much, methinks."

My point entirely. And it's funny how we all dwell on the negative so easily. I don't entirely recall the last time I noticed a snidey comment about a hat I wore..... but only last week a student (and not one from my own faculty, let alone one of my own classes) stopped me to ask about a homberg I was wearing and where he might find one.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
I think, conversely, that tonyb is also saying what I was trying to hint at. We dress in our choice of wardrobe, and rightfully so, but to say we don't care what others think... well, I do a little, and I'm trying to man up and admit it. Truthfully, it's really more what they say than what they think, per se. I won't lie, it bugs me. I'm not going to change because of it, but yeah I care a little about what others say to me, and I think I'm not alone here.

St. Valentine

A-List Customer
People are totally ignorant these days. They mix up every definition and meaning of every term there is and have no idea. Instead they just repeat words they hear the most, especially the ones that are repeated over and over in the media. I guess her own intellectual poorness directed her to the next word which she could remember and that seemed to make sense in connection with a hat. The Babylonian confusion of tongues is getting worse these days.... :eusa_doh:

Hi All

Most of the comments I receive are complimentary However there was a young lady that commented to her companion/young man one time.
" You think he's carrying a piece" young man, He needs one.
I just shrugged it off.
Best regards
CCJ

Grizzly Adams

A-List Customer
Hi All

Most of the comments I receive are complimentary However there was a young lady that commented to her companion/young man one time.
" You think he's carrying a piece" young man, He needs one.
I just shrugged it off.
Best regards
CCJ

A famous Mae West line comes to mind......:eusa_doh:

This is what drives me nuts. I wish I had a nickel for every time my fedora was called a top hat or a cowboy hat. Just happened yesterday. I got some new glasses and a guy goes "If you were wearing a top hat, you'd look like Vince Lombardi." Huh?!

I was wearing a black Scala something-or-other fedora that multiple people on one day mysteriously referred to as a cowboy hat. It boggles the mind.

I hear pimp and gangster, Al Capone, etc quite a bit. Comes with the territory. Especially on Sundays when I'm typically in a suit and a long, gray jacket.

Genuine Classic Gangster

One of the Regulars
I hear pimp and gangster, Al Capone, etc quite a bit.

I got called Al Capone too. That was from a solicitor at a carnival who wanted me to play his games. He called me Al Capone because of me wearing a Panama hat in the summer. He meant it as a compliment.

If someone called me a gangster, I'd take that as a compliment too.:D

I've also been called Humphrey Bogart, Godfather, invisible man, ninja, and vampire. :eek:

The worst comment I ever got was when some random angry man said to me: "What the h** are YOU supposed to be?" I did not appreciate his aggressive and insulting attitude. That was the only negative comment I've ever gotten after ~15 years worth of wearing fedoras. I have, however, received countless friendly compliments. :)

Last edited:

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
It is very hard to be gracious. I work hard to be gracious to those who say disparaging remarks. It can be very hard at times as I fight my inclination to "teach" or offer a snipping remark, but in the long run I am better working on being gracious. Success at being a better human has long rewards.

I did hear the "pimp" like comment last year. It was offered as a compliment by a local resident. Taken in that spirit, here is me channeling some pimp:
Photo-on-2011-11-02-at-1354-2-M.jpg

It is hard to channel "pimp." I guess if it was easy, everybody would be doing it! :)

See my post, # 756 @ http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?22170-The-nicest-comment-I-ever-heard/page76 , for futher explaination of the above pic.

Best, Eric -

Last edited:

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
I've also been called Humphrey Bogart, Godfather, invisible man, ninja, and vampire. :eek:
What planets are these folk from? The Invisible Man as played by Claude Rains generally wore either nothing (hence the "invisible" part) or white bandages. I don't think ninjas wear anything like a hat at all -- and neither have most film incarnations of Count Dracula. Huh????

Historyteach24

Call Me a Cab
It honestly boggles the mind with some of these people. I appreciate all the remarks. I have to agree with Tony that even though I talk a big game to myself it does hurt when one gets a bad remark, but at the same time I will not change because of it. I guess that was the point I was trying to make.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Well, I would have to take any comment like that with a ear to ear smile myself, A name does come to mind for some odd deep rooted dark humor that does reside inside of me, nothing for offending any one at all, and as such the name, "Huggy Bear" just seems to POP into thought regarding all of this....not sure I would have had a sharp comeback in public if someone tossed a comment like that to me, but now that it has been commented on, I would. Savor the return statement perhaps to one of, "why thank you, are you not working now"? LOL!

Bitzelbook

New in Town
It is very hard to be gracious. I work hard to be gracious to those who say disparaging remarks. It can be very hard at times as I fight my inclination to "teach" or offer a snipping remark, but in the long run I am better working on being gracious. Success at being a better human has long rewards.

I did hear the "pimp" like comment last year. It was offered as a compliment by a local resident. Taken in that spirit, here is me channeling some pimp:
Photo-on-2011-11-02-at-1354-2-M.jpg

It is hard to channel "pimp." I guess if it was easy, everybody would be doing it! :)

See my post, # 756 @ http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?22170-The-nicest-comment-I-ever-heard/page76 , for futher explaination of the above pic.

Best, Eric -

Love it. You almost match the panache of the older gentlemen in that thread--you just need a good walking stick.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart