Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So, do you wear Sunscreen?

Apollonia

New in Town
I too, need that sunscreen lotion in my life! I am dangerously white, and I enjoy it, it just suits my style, my physique, my face... it's just me :)

Yesterday I went to the market and found a nice organic stall that sold a very natural sunscreen (without all the parabens and other names with lots of x's and numbers ;)) by a brand called Laveda, it is only factor 20 though, but it is better than nothing!

scarlett

One of the Regulars
I wear sunscreen almost every time I plan on being outside for a long length of time. I just stumbled upon this site that lists the safety of sunscreens, makeup and lotions with SPF. http://www.ewg.org The 2010 sunscreen guide is at the top of the page. You can search by brand name and type. I was shocked at the ratings some of my favorites got - they are now in the trash. I will also try to remember to wear my big hat.

Annichen

Familiar Face
I use a wonderful sunscreen from Shiseido and this one:
l_p1004901483.jpg

I also have a Chinese parasol with me whenever I go out in the sun, you can find nice cheap ones at ebay.
People used a lot of strange methods to stay pale in the past, the only one that I'd recommend is: parasol.

TillyMilly

One of the Regulars
The AHA products I used for year shave left me photosensitive so I have to wear a high SPF now (50- I use uvistatt) or risk developing more brown patches on my face.

ZombieGirl

One of the Regulars
Here's kind of a dumb question... Are you girls using the same sunscreen on your face that you'd use on your body? Or is it specifically formulated for the face? Right now I'm just using a facial moisturizer w/ SPF 15 and I've been wondering if that's enough.

TillyMilly

One of the Regulars
I've has seperate face ones as I've got very tiny pores that get blocked easily. I usually would'nt put a body cream on my face as I would be afraid that it would be too greasy- but I've found that the higher the SPF the more zinc oxide and the less greasy the cream- it's also pretty white looking, but i like that effect.

I'm not having any problems with the uvistatt at the moment. I do have a dry oil SPF 30 from banana boat I think, for my body as sometimes I can't be bothered to do the rubbing in thing (high SPFs usually take some rubbign I've found) but it's far too greasy to consider putting near my face.

ZombieGirl

One of the Regulars
Too greasy would have been by conclusion as well... I think I'll just stick with the moisturizer for now and maybe kick it up to regular full on body sunblock if I'm going to be outside for a prolonged period of time. When I'm out for that long it usually means I'm camping or something so I don't really care how I look anyway.

Lillemor

One Too Many
Even with my greasy, prone to break outs and rashes type skin I'm finding that I can use the children's Nivea sun screen on my face and it doesn't look greasy. A small amount goes a long way and I'm not breaking out in zits or rashes.:) I'm using it on my body and a small amount really does go a long way! We're four who are using it every day and there's still a lot in the bottle but I bought a second bottle to be on the safe side and it's fairly cheap. Not a bad scent either. On one son it smells lemony on the other two sons lemony/vanilla, sort of vanilla on me.

Miss Scarlet

One of the Regulars
Yesterday I obtained the most horrible wife-beater burn marks while making a ramp for my arthritic dog so she can come in and out of the cat flap. I'm quite bad at remembering to put suncream on.

But if I'm at the beach or I know I'm going to be out all day and it's really sunny I use P20. It stinks, I'm not going to lie, but you put it on first thing in the morning, walk around like a zombie till it's dry and then you're covered all day, needing no top up even if you go in water, which is great for people like me who forget. It's not sticky after it's dry, but it does have a funny smell. I've found other people don't notice, but if you put your nose right next to your skin you can smell it. Perfume and moisturizer does cover it up superficially. Ooo make sure you don't get it in your eyes though, it really stings.

MissHannah

One Too Many
I've been using P20 in the mornings for the last week and I tried putting it on my face which was a big mistake - it's alcohol based and it got in my eyes - OUCH!!!

I wish they did a higher SPF though - 20 is a bit low for me.

MissHannah

One Too Many
shopgirl61 said:
Kindly ignore my previous recomendation!

This stuff is absolute perfection :eusa_clap http://www.neutrogena.com/econsumer...sun/ultra-sheer-liquid-sunblock-spf55-70+.jsp

I wear it before applying makeup and it leaves my face soft n smooth.. no gloppy, sticky white residue either :p

Which one of theirs do you use Smuts? Is it this one: http://portal.laroche-posay.co.uk/p...s/Anthelios-XL-SPF-50-Melt-in-Cream-p763.aspx

I just discovered that the Neutrogena Ultra-Sheer I ordered from america has a "Warning - DO NOT USE" rating from the EWG!

Gracie Lee

A-List Customer
I've just ordered a new sunscreen as well, after seeing the EWG rating of the Neutrogena Ultra-Sheer I'd been using. It's a smaller company, so it wasn't rated by the EWG, but it doesn't have any of the ingredients they warn against. It's Arcona, a small company in California, Reozone 20. Their Reozone 40 has a lot more ingredients, but this one has surprisingly few, and has gotten great reviews. I can't wait to try it, it should arrive tomorrow!

Lady Jessica

One of the Regulars
Generally I just wear what I've been wearing for years. Water Babies SPF 50, I think. But I usually only wear it if I am going to the beach or to a theme park... and then I put it ALL over, even on my face. I don't seem to break out from it, and it keeps burning away... I still have freckles though. I've been freckled as long as I remember. [huh] I don't mind them, though.

I just looked up their warnings on the EWG site though, and I think I will be switching.

Belle Fatale

New in Town
I put it on if I know I'm going to be outdoors all day, but I'm really bad at remembering to put it on every day. I bought a face lotion with SPF 45+, so that's covered, but I get sunburnt every so often on my arms just driving around because my body lotion doesn't have any. I ought to fix that. :eek: I have almost every single risk factor for skin cancer except tanning bed use, so I really should be more on the ball with this.

miss_elise

Practically Family
i am still surprised that there are so many products that don't contain sunscreen. Particularly over here where the sun is strong and we have a great big hole in the ozone layer.

There was a stand that had those products made out of minerals from the dead sea - all kinds of different body lotions and things, and not one of them had an SPF factor.

Crazy

MissHannah

One Too Many
Here's a question: what is the difference between a face cream or lotion that has SPF30 written on it and actual sunscreen with an SPF of 30? The face cream won't offer the same level of protection as the sunscreen will it?

Gracie Lee

A-List Customer
Miss Hannah, my doctor once told me that spf face creams and make up are not as effective as true sun screens because we don't wear as much of them. The "face cream" part dilutes the "sun screen" part. This may no longer be true, but ever since then, I've made sure that, if I use an spf face cream instead of sun screen, I apply it as generously as I can stand to so I get good coverage.

On a different note, my Arcona Reozone 20 arrived yesterday, and I'm wearing it today. LOVE! It's a little heavier than the creams I've used before, but since the EWG hated those, I guess I need to reconsider. Since it's heavier, I skipped my usual moisturizer (even in Florida I need one), and applied this alone. It soaks in quickly, leaves no white residue like some other physical sunblocks, and is not even remotely greasy. One bad thing: it looks like it's been discontinued, so if any one wants to try it, snap it up quickly from places like Beauty.com (where I got mine) or online drug stores.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran