Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you wear for long walks in the summer?

lthr

New in Town
So summer's here and since you guys dress way better than most people I see daily, I wonder, what do you wear during the summer when taking a walk? Now I realized not all of you are gonna take an hour-long (literally) walk in fast pace like me, all of you probably have a car, but perhaps it still happens?

Anyway, I'm trying to figure out what is wearable on a sunny clear-sky day in 75-85 degrees. To me, that's hot as hell. Maybe literally, if you believe in hell! I like temps in the 60s probably, maybe even lower, as I get warm pretty quickly at least with the clothing I own.

Now, the obvious answer is a buttonup shirt, a tshirt or a polo. I've a petite body and short sleeves look horrible on me, so my only choice is buttonups. But wearing a pair of jeans and a buttonup just doesn't look all that good. It lacks something. Like a jacket. Which, especially since I don't have much money to buy a linen one, is not a very good choice. Fedora is great too I think, but then you definitely need a jacket or you're gonna look like one of those guys who scroll Facebook in a cafe shop sitting on their laptop or a tablet and the same takeout coffee cup for the past 6 hours.

Anyway. The only thing I can think of is high-end cotton or linen buttonup shirt and a linen blazer. Is that really the only option if you have to walk for such periods of times? Well, alternative of course being a tshirt or a polo for someone who doesn't have petite body.

Sidenote for those who remember me from another thread: Just thinking that all the leather jacket idea, as much as I want to have a leather jacket and wear it as much as possible, might not be such a good idea for me. First of all because of the price and secondly because I just wouldn't get to wear it much except for a month in the fall. I may be better off spending my money to buy other clothing that I could wear more often and I may have even more money if I manage to sell my suit. Which I'm still not sure if I wanna do. It's a weird feeling but it kind of pains me to not be able to have and wear it, that i have to choose from different clothing to wear. I just like wearing leather I guess. Always been a fan of leather gloves in the winter too.

Last edited:

zhz

Practically Family
well, I walk 40 mins every day. In hot summer, I mean 30 C+, I am wearing a t shirt and short. Anything else would be too hot.
If it is 20 C+, jeans and US jungle shirt with a t shirt. I do have a line blazer from Uniqlo, 35 GBP, not expensive at all, but I found myself don't like to wear blazer any more.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
I always wear jeans and engineer boots, if it's hotter than 20c i just wear a T shirt, if it's colder i wear a T shirt, a V neck jumper and a leather jacket or a cotton duck type III jacket...

I lliterally have every color of T shirt and V neck jumper, both in merino and cashmere, so i just mix and match depending on my mood and the temp...

lthr

New in Town
Don't forget a good pair of White's bounty hunters to keep the feet happy over various terrain.

Wow... Very impressed. The leather looks amazing! At least on the first result.

Today I was at a market and saw a deerskin jacket. Too bad it had no handwarmer pockets, otherwise looked so perfect. $120, the skin was so nice to the touch and looked so good. The making was... A bit questionable. I think. Probably Chromium 3 was used instead of Chromium 4 too, which can cause cancer according to some research I've read. No idea.

Anyway, I've a pair of dress shoes which I wear, all other shoes are too worn out. New shoes'd cost too much, especially if we're talking about the ones you mentioned. But WOW they look amazing! Seriously!

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The best advice for hot and sunny days is to stay out of the sun as much as possible. If you have to go out, a straw hat with a 3-inch brim is a necessity, as is a long-sleeved shirt, light cotton trousers, and huaraches (Mexican sandals). You really don't want to power-walk in hot weather: the more sensible countries have siestas.

lthr

New in Town
The best advice for hot and sunny days is to stay out of the sun as much as possible. If you have to go out, a straw hat with a 3-inch brim is a necessity, as is a long-sleeved shirt, light cotton trousers, and huaraches (Mexican sandals). You really don't want to power-walk in hot weather: the more sensible countries have siestas.

Never in my life have I worn a hat, and I've been walking like that for years.

Light cotton or linen trousers is nice of course, so would a long-sleeved shirt.

Also, personally I have never worn sandals. Shoes. That's what I like.

Personally I also don't like walking slowly especially when the distance is 6 miles which would already take me a bit over an hour. If I was walking slowly it may stretch up to 2 hours or even more. Same goes for resting. It's just boring to sit in the sun and look around while the sun is making you feel even hotter. If you're a tourist and/or a slow-paced guy/gal, that sure may be a great solution.

I don't know. I guess I put myself in a corner with the linen jacket, a bunch of buttonups and light high quality cotton trousers and/or light high quality jeans. I don't think there is another option.

Makes me wonder why I even posted this thread. Guess maybe a checkup if I'm right and I really should just scratch the glorified leather jacket that I would love to wear altogether and get a pair or two of high quality cotton trousers and/or jeans, a couple of high quality cotton buttonups and save up for a linen blazer and maybe even a fedora later on...

I'm starting to hate sunny days about as much as I hate rainy days (if I have to go out). Walking all wet is no fun either. Unfortunately most days are sunny, so stepping outside becomes a necessity, and long walks without a car unfortunately are a necessity too.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Probably a hat, some sunglasses, a light flannel shirt (possibly with sleeves rolled up), a Hawaiian, or just a plain tee shirt and sneakers. I never wear shorts.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
24C in the shade - 30C + in the sun here in the equatorial tropical climate and occasional unpredicted heavy downpour
I wear:
- thin long sleeved t-shirt or henley (sunrays UV is killing here in our hilly terrain)
- cargo pants or jeans, anything that is rugged and doesn't look "poor" when fading (because every colored thing fades fast here).
- local army combat boots
- and leather jacket to keep my shirt from fading

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
On walks always a wide brimmed felt hat never leave home without one. Black jeans, Blundstone work boots , long sleeve black shirt. For windy days, an America Eagle unlined workwear jacket.

lthr

New in Town
On walks always a wide brimmed felt hat never leave home without one. Black jeans, Blundstone work boots , long sleeve black shirt. For windy days, an America Eagle unlined workwear jacket.

Why do you wear black clothing on a sunny hot day? Black clothing make it even hotter!

24C in the shade - 30C + in the sun here in the equatorial tropical climate and occasional unpredicted heavy downpour
I wear:
- thin long sleeved t-shirt or henley (sunrays UV is killing here in our hilly terrain)
- cargo pants or jeans, anything that is rugged and doesn't look "poor" when fading (because every colored thing fades fast here).
- local army combat boots
- and leather jacket to keep my shirt from fading

You don't get too hot with the leather jacket in 24-30C?

Also, I think jeans don't fade all that fast, especially Levi or Wrangler. I've seen Levi and Wrangler jeans worn daily here for about a decade and the colors didn't wear out. Actually, not jeans. A whole "suit," meaning also a jacket.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Why do you wear black clothing on a sunny hot day? Black clothing make it even hotter!

You don't get too hot with the leather jacket in 24-30C?

Also, I think jeans don't fade all that fast, especially Levi or Wrangler. I've seen Levi and Wrangler jeans worn daily here for about a decade and the colors didn't wear out. Actually, not jeans. A whole "suit," meaning also a jacket.

Black clothing isn't hotter - that's a myth. Desert people's wear indigo and black robes and headgear in the hottest places on earth. I wear black in 115 degree heat here in summer without issue. Loose black clothing is great in summer. But then most of my clothing is black. And much of it old and faded - as I like the look of fading.

Last edited:

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
lots of people here wearing leather in the sun (they mostly wear sheep lol) with simple lining and opened zipper it is fine to wear it here. at least I'm not the only one. another surprisingly comfortable thing to wear under the jacket is a knits jumper with big/ chunky chain-mail like knitting, air can move pass it freely, and it makes the jacket float from the body, so it feels windy, and cool, I wear those knits as my top without t-shirt underneath.

about fading, probably there where you live the sun is not as harsh as in our spot on the earth, here everything fades, parachute jacket, backpack, curtain, outdoor chair cushions, tent, flag, advertising banner, sticker, even umbrellas look old and faded in mere weeks or months.

I like black but they are very unpredictable, sometime it fades into grey (desirable). but other black clothes might also fades to (green, blue, red, or other weird hues), and we have white cat, and brown cat...whenever I wear black, I always getting crazy with lint roller. :D

I think my favorite color is heathered charcoal, it really look "clean" forever :)

Last edited:

Azog

Familiar Face
It is interesting that black clothing is worn in the desert.
I can say with certainty that the exterior of my black car gets much hotter than my white car. In summer the paint of the black car gets too hot to touch for more than a few seconds but on the white car I can keep my hand in contact without discomfort.
I did read a theory that black objects cool down quicker than white.

A-1

One Too Many
Very funny thread. It’s 10 degrees Celsius here right now, sun is shining, could you please tell me what to wear? Haha.

A pair of good leather boots/shoes, always. Shorts, rarely.

Otter

One Too Many
Apologies, but I am distinctly non trade when it comes to walking. Either my walking or stiff mountain goretex boots, Tilley adventure shorts or Berghaus zip off walking trousers. Either Berghaus Argentium base layer wicking shirt or North Face wicking T combined with either an Outdoor Research Ferosi hoodie or a Berghaus Elements softshell depending on how warm I expect it to be. I usually carry a Goretex Paclite jacket in the rucksack as well. Hats either a Tilley or an Outdoor Reasearch wicking UV proof skip type cap and a buff to keep the sweat off my neck.

lthr

New in Town
lots of people here wearing leather in the sun (they mostly wear sheep lol) with simple lining and opened zipper it is fine to wear it here. at least I'm not the only one. another surprisingly comfortable thing to wear under the jacket is a knits jumper with big/ chunky chain-mail like knitting, air can move pass it freely, and it makes the jacket float from the body, so it feels windy, and cool, I wear those knits as my top without t-shirt underneath.

about fading, probably there where you live the sun is not as harsh as in our spot on the earth, here everything fades, parachute jacket, backpack, curtain, outdoor chair cushions, tent, flag, advertising banner, sticker, even umbrellas look old and faded in mere weeks or months.

I like black but they are very unpredictable, sometime it fades into grey (desirable). but other black clothes might also fades to (green, blue, red, or other weird hues), and we have white cat, and brown cat...whenever I wear black, I always getting crazy with lint roller. :D

I think my favorite color is heathered charcoal, it really look "clean" forever :)

Sheepshin's the lightest, I believe. The chunky knitted jumper is a very interesting idea. I bet if you were to go out like that in the summer here, people would take pics and post on Facebook, haha. I would like to try that, now if only I had such a sweater. I mean, for curiosity and then maybe wearing. Although it definitely isn't a good idea on a windless day, and at least here we have quite a few of those. Anyway, very interesting.

Apologies, but I am distinctly non trade when it comes to walking. Either my walking or stiff mountain goretex boots, Tilley adventure shorts or Berghaus zip off walking trousers. Either Berghaus Argentium base layer wicking shirt or North Face wicking T combined with either an Outdoor Research Ferosi hoodie or a Berghaus Elements softshell depending on how warm I expect it to be. I usually carry a Goretex Paclite jacket in the rucksack as well. Hats either a Tilley or an Outdoor Reasearch wicking UV proof skip type cap and a buff to keep the sweat off my neck.

Wow, that's quite detailed. I see you have strong preferences! That's good, in my opinion.

Probably a hat, some sunglasses, a light flannel shirt (possibly with sleeves rolled up), a Hawaiian, or just a plain tee shirt and sneakers. I never wear shorts.

Ditto, down to never wearing shorts, ever. Nor any footwear that's showing any part of my feet. Just... No.

Though sometimes I do wear boots, no matter the heat. Engineers mostly.

jonbuilder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I walk with a energetic Chesapeake Bay retriever that requires running off lease. This means I am walking on dirt tails some time crossing creeks or along the beach. I never leave the house with out a fedora in the summer the go to is a light weight Stetson open road. As I mentioned earlier a pair of White's bounty hunters with jeans and a t shirt or polo shirt. If the weather is cool enough for a leather jacket which it can be at the beach during the summer a Buco J100 my lightest leather jacket.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
Sheepshin's the lightest, I believe. The chunky knitted jumper is a very interesting idea. I bet if you were to go out like that in the summer here, people would take pics and post on Facebook, haha. I would like to try that, now if only I had such a sweater. I mean, for curiosity and then maybe wearing. Although it definitely isn't a good idea on a windless day, and at least here we have quite a few of those. Anyway, very interesting.
sheep is light, basically it is older full grown lamb right. it doesn't weigh nor smell like leather too. the only available hides here in my country are either sheep, goat, or cow. goat being the cheapest (for some reason they look down on goatskin),
as for jumper, it is made in china stuff from ebay, very light with detachable collar by zipper around the neck.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner