Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you wear for long walks in the summer?

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I find an original L2B to be a fine light weight summer wearer. Teamed up with a white Goodwear T-Shirt, Pike Bros Jeans, Clarkes Red canvas sneakers & a Stetson Flat-cap.

bn1966

Going for an ELC A-1 this year because that is an extremely light leather being made from capeskin (handled one last week). Our summers here in the UK can get quite warm, so I want something I can wear or carry easily during the day that will allow me to sit out a while once the sun has set.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Pretty juvenile, I know, but yesterday my Mom
and I were going to go on a walk. It was sunny but not warm by any means. I put on a sweater and a G-1. She tears into me telling me I look out of place and that jacket looks like it's for winter. I explained to her that the jacket was in fact not warm, that she could try it on and see, but then we got into an argument, and I plopped on the couch and ate a quart of ice cream watching the ball game instead.

Pretty juvenile, I know, but yesterday my Mom
and I were going to go on a walk. It was sunny but not warm by any means. I put on a sweater and a G-1. She tears into me telling me I look out of place and that jacket looks like it's for winter. I explained to her that the jacket was in fact not warm, that she could try it on and see, but then we got into an argument, and I plopped on the couch and ate a quart of ice cream watching the ball game instead.

lol Nick! I honestly lol'd here. But yeah, you're asking me why giving up on Perfectos and D-pockets... One day I visited my mom, and first thing I hear from her as I walked into the room is that 'these busy jackets' really don't do look good on me, and how the 'other one' (CR) is so much nicer. So I sold the D-pocket and my soul and I don't even have an ice cream to drown my sorrow in.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
lol Nick! I honestly lol'd here. But yeah, you're asking me why giving up on Perfectos and D-pockets... One day I visited my mom, and first thing I hear from her as I walked into the room is that 'these busy jackets' really don't do look good on me, and how the 'other one' (CR) is so much nicer. So I sold the D-pocket and my soul and I don't even have an ice cream to drown my sorrow in.

Quite simply, some people will never get it. We're a rare breed I suppose. One of my premonitions is when we all kick the dust, we'll awake in a room standing in a punch bowl line. First thing we'll notice is we're wearing a jacket, and when we look around, we'll all be there together!

Bushman

I'll Lock Up
I usually where a thin pair of slacks, a t-shirt, and an old Army shirt of my dad's along with some hiking boots and a light sun hat. I like to go walking on the back trails of my local forest preserve, so I'm usually having to fend off thick brush.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
lol, ever since I have this undercut hair with high ponytail, my family stop commenting about whatever I wear. :D also stop giving me t-shirt or any clothing item for bday & xmas present...

lthr

New in Town
Going for an ELC A-1 this year because that is an extremely light leather being made from capeskin (handled one last week). Our summers here in the UK can get quite warm, so I want something I can wear or carry easily during the day that will allow me to sit out a while once the sun has set.

I had to google to know what capeskin is. It seems like it's used for fine gloves and such as well, seems not very durable.

lol, ever since I have this undercut hair with high ponytail, my family stop commenting about whatever I wear. :D also stop giving me t-shirt or any clothing item for bday & xmas present...

I always wondered if my reason was the same for them stopping with the gifts and comments or they thought that I finally grew up (a few years after they should've thought that, haha). Either way, the outcome's positive so I'm not complaining.

Sidenote: would horsehide or cowhide or deerhide jackets be way too warm in the winter? I mean, compared to sheepskin and all. Now that you guys keep mentioning that it may not be such a bad idea, I may not abandon the leather jacket pipedream after all, though I'd prefer something more durable than sheepskin.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Capeskin is pretty strong and was used on the classic air force A1 jackets. I'd never wear leather of any kind once its 18C or 64F. Very uncomfortable.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
I kid you not, sun is shining, ready for a walk, knits & leather :D
sunny-day-knits-and-leather.jpg
during walk
sunny-day-knits-and-leather2.jpg
and at my aunt's place
sunny-day-knits-and-leather3.jpg

no sweat :)

Last edited:

lthr

New in Town
I kid you not, sun is shining, ready for a walk, knits & leather :D

no sweat :)

Hmm, I wonder, the jacket is lighter, maybe that could be at least part of the reason? Thing about black and darker colors is that it absorbs heat, whereas white and lighter colors reflect it. It's basic physics.

By the way, the leather looks so smooth! :D

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
In the end it all comes down to how you deal with heat!

Personally, as soon as i am in anything warmer than 20c i start feeling uncomfortable, 25c i start sweating bullets!
Some people can deal with heat, some cant!
Every summer in London i am amazed to see some people in the underground, stuck in a 30c train, with a jumper and a long coat, not looking remotely hot, when i am in a T shirt, sweat literally dripping from my forehead!
On the other hand, i am perfectly happy going outside with a thin jumper and an unlined leather jacket when it is freezing and windy!

No one can tell you what to wear, they don't live in your body...

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
In the end it all comes down to how you deal with heat!

No one can tell you what to wear, they don't live in your body...
totally agree to that, and people also adapt to their climate.

@lthr
it is west java sheep (also made there) fit very snug due to padded lining, it is by far warmer than my black jacket, I still believe colors don't matter to leather, otherwise you would see white leather jacket more often for asian market :D.

@Monitor
thanks
it was modified from typical "vented motorcycle jacket" without side pockets, no collar, and made slim

wear your leather, and eat icecream :cool:

Attachments

• Classic-Mens-Cruiser-Vented-Premium-Motorcycle-Jackets-02.jpg
    Classic-Mens-Cruiser-Vented-Premium-Motorcycle-Jackets-02.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 139

Stand By

One Too Many
I love my Buzz Rickson L2-A for summer. It's very light and comfy. The L2 is too.
But Gary at ELC once told me that their A-1 is also perfect for European summers …so BN has it right on, I'd say.

Last edited:

bn1966

Thanks Stand By, glad you're still enjoying that L-2A...I like mine or my L-2B on hot days. The A-1 should be interesting, I hadn't really considered one until recently and was typed into by the HPA Rep (thank you sir).

LouisBailie

Banned
I don't walk farther than from my truck, in the lot, to the venue....or back into the house......but wear an anj3 in my golf cart or when riding one of my 50s Schwinns.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
another morning walk in the sun (every morning I help my grandma to exercise and have some morning walk in the sun) we drive by car to a quiet neighborhood (since ours is quite busy with traffic ) yesterday at my aunt's today at my mom's after we parked then we do morning walk around the neighborhood + light arm and leg exercise for about 30 minutes to 1 hrs, she walks very slow and with several rests on her rollator, so I'm standing in the sun or under some palm tree which doesn't help much.
today black thick jacket + black knits and I'm fine, without the jacket I would be sweating more.
sunny-day-knits-and-leather6.jpg sunny-day-knits-and-leather7.jpg sunny-day-knits-and-leather8.jpg sunny-day-knits-and-leather9.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner