Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So, I got me this Fez see.....

LordBest

Practically Family
I disagree with Mr Dhermann on this, not that I claim to be an expert. This method of construction is (or was) usual, and goes back to the fezes ancestor, the Ottoman turbans which were wound over a felted core of some kind (wicker, usually, or sometimes just felt). A cheap touristy fez a friend of mine bought in Egypt a few ago was not made in this manner (it was made purely of cheap and rather nasty felt). I have an identical fez (well, the label is green rather than red) from El Hag Ahmed Serag and Sons with a provenance dated back to at least the 60s. I also have another fez my aunt purchased from an antique store in Marrakesh in 1961 which is of inferior construction.

Regardless of how old it is, it looks the part.

Chinaski

One Too Many
It's been months since I have anything interesting to post here, but I finally have something somewhat interesting.

A couple of months ago, I had it in my mind I needed a Fez. Not just any run of the mill costume Fezzes, I wanted a real one. Turns out, a real authentic Fez is pretty rare here in the states.

I found this one on eBay, advertised as a 19th Century Fez made in Cairo, Egypt.

It arrived today covered in dust but in remarkable shape! I brushed it up and blew it off with compressed air and it turned out great!

I thinking this was made for the tourist trade maybe back in the early 1900's based on the English on the label. I would love your input, maybe one of you history buffs and pin this one down.

web.jpg

Gary, we know you are a fan of the stingy brims, but I have to say you've reached a whole 'nother level with this one...:D

Chinaski

One Too Many
Also, since it hasn't been mentioned, I think there's a Steely Dan song with a suggestion for something to do whilst wearing a fez. You might have to give that a try!

GWD

One Too Many
Gary, we know you are a fan of the stingy brims, but I have to say you've reached a whole 'nother level with this one...:D

Someone has to be the trend setter here in California, give it a few years. Soon Fezzes will dominate the celebrity scene!

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Also, since it hasn't been mentioned, I think there's a Steely Dan song with a suggestion for something to do whilst wearing a fez. You might have to give that a try!

'No, I'm never gonna do it without the fez on,
Oh no,
That's what I am,
Please understand,
I wanna be your holy man.'

Thats about it. What is 'it?' Ah, the imagination reels . . .

carldelo

One Too Many
I saw a guy wearing a fez in my local grocery store in Astoria, Queens - he was looking very casual and not really drawing any attention, which I thought was pretty amazing.

As to what goes with a fez, a white suit works pretty well:
SignorFerrari.png

Chinaski

One Too Many
Someone has to be the trend setter here in California, give it a few years. Soon Fezzes will dominate the celebrity scene!

So GWD in Mission Viejo will be the epicenter of the fez movement. Let's see... wait a minute, I live in Mission Viejo!! I'm going to be in on the ground floor!! Sweet!

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Gary, you're going to look SO COOL with your shades, the Fez and the smoking jacket!! Pure Madness![video=youtube;ZMHCAfPZPf0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMHCAfPZPf0[/video]

GWD

One Too Many
Gary, you're going to look SO COOL with your shades, the Fez and the smoking jacket!! Pure Madness![video=youtube;ZMHCAfPZPf0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMHCAfPZPf0[/video]

PADDY!!! Madness is one of my favorite groups of all time!

GWD

One Too Many
So GWD in Mission Viejo will be the epicenter of the fez movement. Let's see... wait a minute, I live in Mission Viejo!! I'm going to be in on the ground floor!! Sweet!

Next time your strolling through the "Shops", and you see a guy wearing a Fez, introduce yourself!

Chinaski

One Too Many
Next time your strolling through the "Shops", and you see a guy wearing a Fez, introduce yourself!

The place:
The Shops

The time:
Sometime well after Christmas

Chinaski strolls into the food court and sees a man wearing a fez. He says, "GWD, I presume."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo