Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So I Think I Found My Leather Jacket...

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Johnnynotoes said:
I too have a 'new' Windward and am planning to condition it with Pecards antique dressing. A lot of what seems to be dust in the many creases. Baby shampoo judiciously diluted? Mild hand soap? Any recommendations?

The jacket is in great shape but for the dusty creases. Looking forward to getting at it. Have not used Pecards before...6oz. tub just came in the mail today. I've had the jacket about a month or so...Itching to breathe new life into it!

A damp cloth will remove dust, so will a microfiber cloth - but I just Pecards right over the stuff. Doesn't matter. Newer robust jackets I often put in the washing machine with a little washing liquid. Leather can take pretty much anything, unless it's a fashion item.

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
fedoralover said:
It looks really great to me, I'm glad it worked out. I kinda like it without the belt myself. How about a pic of you wearing it? And what's bick 4?
fedoralover

I'll try and some pics snapped of me wearing it! Bick 4 is the leather condition recommended to me by the sales clerk at G. J. Jedlickaa Saddlery.

Johnnynotoes

Familiar Face
The result of the bick4 looks pretty though. I've done the belt with Pecards and it turned out great. Still debating how I'm going to deal with the dust/dirt problem. Damp cloth with a hint of baby shampoo I'm about to do....and wait until dry before any further work for sure. Cursory wipe is all it really needs. Shouldn't upset any ph balances[???] etc. If it's good for baby it should be good for geezers. And this hide qualifies as geezer certainly!

Hope mine looks as nice as yours 805!

Johnnynotoes

Familiar Face
I'm the chap who won that huge Windward on Ebay late last month if anyone recalls the item. Rarer than rare in size I guess...it was a 48 [est.] 21 inch shoulders...hard to find and I fought like mad for it. My other leather 50s jackets are all 46 [est.] and a hair tight. [but quite wearable...so far] This one is gravy!

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
PC310047.jpg

PC310048.jpg

Johnnynotoes

Familiar Face
Nice results! Good looking jackets these are. I just finished the first coat of Pecards on mine and many of the scuffs are virtually gone. Flexibility has returned as well. That hide was thirsty. Lookin' good 805! JNT

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
Last night I picked up a new horsehide jacket... it is another Windward. As soon as I got it, I went to my Montgomery Wards catalog and found my jacket! Can anyone help me date the label?
DSC_0964.jpg
DSC_0966.jpg
DSC_0967.jpg
DSC_0969.jpg

As a result I am parting with my 4 pound, long half-belt. If anyone is interested I can send you the ebay link.

Fifty150

One Too Many
2806-BLACK.jpg

Britain, 1903.

1930s British Motorcycle Jacket

Parliament passes the national 20 mph speed limit, so the Auto Cycle Union (Britain’s premier motorcycle club) goes to the unrestricted Isle of Man and creates the Tourist Trophy races.

The Mountain Circuit then was little more than a cart path across farm fields. They ran multiple laps, so the first rider out had to stop and open all the gates; the last one closed them.

The lap record in 1922 was 55.62 mph. By 1939, it was 91 mph. Thanks in no small part to nerves of steel and jackets like this.

1930s British Motorcycle Jacket (No. 2806). Made of 100% English cow leather, it was also popular with SOE operatives parachuting into Occupied France.

Tanned in Italy by a special process that gives it a slightly worn look. Black nickel buckle, snaps, zipper, and grommets. Front placket closure and five pockets.

Two slanted chest pockets, two body pockets and one interior welt pocket.

Buckle/grommet closure on the collar and adjustable snap cuff closures to keep the wind out. Fully lined.

An exquisite piece of clothing from another time and place.

Tony B

One of the Regulars
Fifty150 is that history lifted direct from advertising blurb, If an SOE operative was caught trying to wear anything that looked remotely english he would be stopped, given a bollocking for being so stupid and sent to get something french looking before being allowed on the plane, not a good idea to look overtly english in occupied france unless you wanted to be lifted and tortured by the gestapo/SD etc.

That jacket just looks like a copy of the 50s belstaff which in turn is a copy of the barbour international from the forties which came from the barbour ursula submarine suit jacket of WW2 which came from the one peice barbour bike suit from the thirties.

I like the chest pocket flaps more than the original ones though, they look like the ones from a US M41 para smock which is a jacket I have always liked the look of.

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
So..... can anyone help me date this label?

DSC_0969.jpg

I know the one below is from the 1950s, but is the label above from before or after then?
DSC_0931.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IGDS