Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So I Think I Found My Leather Jacket...

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
After I get hitched, I'm going to start saving to reproduce this jacket in horsehide...
DSC_2280.jpg
DSC_2281.jpg

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
The ad indicates that capeskin was an option when ordering this model. Does anyone around here have a Golden Era coat made of capeskin?

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Capeskin

Depends what you mean by 'golden age'. 1920s, 30s or 40s?

'Capeskin' is just skin from South African sheep. It was used generically to describe any 'hair-off' sheepskin. It lasts well enough in my experience but, like any hide, it depends how it was tanned. There are plenty of 1940s and even earlier 'hair on' sheepskin garments in reasonable condition - see some of the Irvin and B-3 jackets and trousers elsewhere on this forum. I really don't see why 'hair off' sheepskin shouldn't last as well and as long as 'hair on'. Maybe the skins that A-1s were made from weren't tanned well?

I have several 1940s and 1950s British jackets made of 'lambskin' that are still in excellent condition, but I don't know where the lambs were from...

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Not quite the same...

The Aero 'AB coat' has a full belt. The 'Cadet surcoat' in the catalogue is a true half-belt style with button-on half belts. I have a very similar jacket by Rich-Sher with the same style of belt(s).

Southernwayfare said:
Looks pretty close to the Admiral Byrd coat that Aero built for BladeSmith.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
H.Johnson said:
I really don't see why 'hair off' sheepskin shouldn't last as well and as long as 'hair on'. Maybe the skins that A-1s were made from weren't tanned well?
Could be they weren't. They were made for a cash strapped peacetime Air Corps so all kinds of corners probably had to be cut.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I reckon Indiana Jones should have worn a capeskin A1. Would have been historically accurate and some would argue better looking than the 1980's style jacket he wears in teh movie. ;)

mike

Call Me a Cab
Why not cut the check now and if you must, post-date it for sometime over the honeymoon? I mean, it's only $29.95 ;)

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
tamoko said:

jh-hrse-colors.jpg

These are great! I actually prefer those pockets to the basic handwarmers.

mike said:
Why not cut the check now and if you must, post-date it for sometime over the honeymoon? I mean, it's only $29.95 ;)

Yup, and the capeskin is just $7 less! lol Decisions..decisions.

jakpic.jpg

fedoralover[/QUOTE]

That's pretty much it! Just snagged it! I guess I can obsess over something else now.

tamoko

New in Town
I have this VANSON. Very good one but really heavy. When i bought mine, there was only a black one, today i would have chosen brown HH.

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
The vintage Windward horsehide jacket arrived last week. I like it; it fits perfectly and has some patina around the back of the shoulders and along the back of the sleeves. The detachable belts that came with it aren't going to work, so I may have to make my own with some color-matched steerhide. Plus, the inside smells like an old catchers mitt. It's been keeping me warm, so I really can't complain that much. I just finished buffing it after hitting it with some Bick 4. Here are some pics:
DSC_2626.jpg

DSC_2631.jpg

DSC_2633.jpg

DSC_2634.jpg

DSC_2635.jpg

DSC_2636.jpg

DSC_2637.jpg

DSC_2638.jpg

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
It looks really great to me, I'm glad it worked out. I kinda like it without the belt myself. How about a pic of you wearing it? And what's bick 4?
fedoralover

jack miranda

A-List Customer
Very nice, resortes805. A beautiful old jacket.

I've had a couple of old Sears Hercules over the years, and as good as the new repros are (I now have an Aero Hercules), there is something about the fit and the feel of the originals that is special. A really good 'score'. I'll second the posts that asked for pics of you wearing it, and include my curiosity about bick 4. Thanks.

Johnnynotoes

Familiar Face
Cleaning??? prior to Pecards

I too have a 'new' Windward and am planning to condition it with Pecards antique dressing. A lot of what seems to be dust in the many creases. Baby shampoo judiciously diluted? Mild hand soap? Any recommendations?

The jacket is in great shape but for the dusty creases. Looking forward to getting at it. Have not used Pecards before...6oz. tub just came in the mail today. I've had the jacket about a month or so...Itching to breathe new life into it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace