Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So, I'mma be a dad. . . . . OMG!

ThinkandDrive

New in Town
My wife and I are expecting the arrival of our son on (or around) December 31. As such, I am reflecting on all the things I have to get under control to bcome a "dad". So far, in addition to all the things like finish installing flooring and trimwork in the house, here are the tasks I'm expecting:

1. Pick a "Dad Smell" - I am a big fan of Bay Rum and the like. I toyed with taking up pipe smoking during the winter a while back and may do that.
  2. Organize my tools (and learn how to use them) - So far, my tools are haphazardly thrown into an old filing cabinet. Gotta get a cool tool chest for the kid to inherit some day. (all my dad can talk about is how, "someday, you'll get my tools.)
  3. Settle on a lullaby - The nursery is a cowboy theme and I grew up in Texas, so something cowboy is pretty much a given. "Red River Valley" is seriously in the running.
  4. Brush up on my guitar playing - This pretty much goes hand-in-hand with the lullaby thing. Though I was considering learning the musical saw or building a Therimin.

So, what's missing? lol

ThinkandDrive

New in Town
Well, I have my cussin' pretty well under control. Except when I hit my finger with a hammer.

I'm not afraid of a diaper. I've been on cat-cleanup-duty for a while.

I think the final few months of pregnancy where my wife is tossing and turning and getting up every few hours is nature's way of preparing parents for that. Haha.

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I am the primary caretaker (24/7) for my 3 year old boy; been that way since birth. Baby proof the house. Make sure your priorities are in order. Having never been a parent before I took a class in parenting for new parents. He came and slept while I got to talk with others about the challenges ahead. I got certified for CPR for little ones by the Red Cross.

I also play the guitar so I developed an interactive music program I played twice per week every week last year for his playgroup.

This year I am going to play at his preschool for Halloween. :)

BTW every once in a while when you are exhausted, you will pause take a deep breath and feel a love for that child like you have never known before.

Good Luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
icon14.gif

Foofoogal

Banned
:eusa_clap lol
start praying for your wife and little one now and for yourself and your heart.
you cannot imagine it. how a little tiny bundle can get your heart so and keep it more and more and sometimes break it but always keep it.
you will never be the same. congratulations.
must be baby time at the FL. babydoll is expecting and we just shared in joy with vintagebetty. (sp)

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Start looking for a very small fedora! Can't start 'em too young, I say.
Dec. 31st. Good planning! Papa's little dividend, and exemption.
Good luck, and congratulations!

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
We're expecting our first right around Valentine's Day.

We talk a lot about the things we need to have in place before she comes. Practical things like... what clothes are we taking to the hospital for a "first outfit". What needs to be packed in my bag? Don't forget the cameras! What kind of food will need to be made in advance and stashed in the freezer for easy-daddy-made meals? Who needs to be called once we go to the hospital, and who can wait until after baby arrives? Making sure someone has a key to our place - for emergency access. Nursery is all set, save for the crib (being ordered next month). All of her clothes need to be washed, but not until January. Much easier to think of these things now when we aren't under the severe time crunch of imminent labor.

We also have made sure that the bond between my husband and I is strong. We work on communicating well with one another, and sharing our ideas of child rearing. All of this will come into play during the sleepless nights to come when we might be a little grouchy. It is comforting to both of us to know that we are each others best friend, and partner in life. We are making sure that having our little one enriches the bond that we have.

One fun thing that my husband has started doing with our little girl is talking to her (through my tummy). She responds by kicking a lot when she hears him. My doctor said that this is a very good thing. Once she is born, she'll already know both of our voices, and seek us out. He also sings to her, and that gets an even bigger response than just talking! (If you choose to do this, make sure you don't do it right before bedtime. That will wake baby up, and cause your wife to lose sleep. Learned that the hard way.)

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
The best advice a father of two boys - now grown up young men - can give you is this:
Rember everything they do - no matter how irritating, stupid, boring (for you), mindwrecking, etc. etc. - it is just a transition!

So love every minute of it.

Good luck!:)

ThinkandDrive

New in Town
Excellent observations and stories, people. Keep 'em coming.

Babydoll, congrats on your imminent arrival as well! One thing I'll mention that I read somewhere is not to immediately wash all of the baby clothes right away because you're bound to fall into a pattern of just a few outfits for the first few months (easy ones, not the cute ones, unfortunately) and then you're stuck with infant clothes that are unreturnable once she's grown out of them. Soemthing I thought was really practical and counter-intuitive. ;)

We are sporadically reading and constantly talking to the little guy. I don't jet know if he's responding or it's it's just coincidental when he kicks. Sometimes, she'll mention he's going nutso and then, just as I put my hand on her tummy, NOTHING. He's ornery already. [huh]

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
We are on the same wavelength as far as clothes go, apparently! We're already buying/asking for clothes that are in the 6-9 month range because we have enough newborn-3 month gowns and sleepers. I figure she's going to be born in winter, so she'll be staying home and sleeping most of the time for the first couple of months. Sleepers will be fine for that amount of activity. And I don't want to fall into the trap of having unworn outfits that are outgrown. Fortunately, we've purchased a bunch of stuff from the Carter's store, and their policy is to take back or do a store exchange for any of their products - even if we don't have the receipt. I hope we don't have to use that policy, but nice to know that we can. We also have hung up all of her sleepers and gowns in her closet so they're very visible as to what she has to wear.

We're also making the suggestion for our shower that if people don't want to get something on our baby registry, something girlie/frilly, then purchase their favorite childhood book to add to her library. We already have a dozen books for her, but we'd like to have more! We thought that having people buy what THEY liked as a child would be an awesome way of sharing their love of literature with our little one. :)

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Also if you have pets like I do, 2 Chihuahuas, bring home an article of clothing from the hospital before the baby comes home so the animals will already have the baby's scent.

It is a transitional time for everyone.

Lenore

Practically Family
ThinkandDrive said:
My wife and I are expecting the arrival of our son on (or around) December 31.

Congratulations!!!! From the perspective of a mummy whose hubby wasn't the most "babycentric" until the Monkey got a little older, I have to say to hear you give so many little things such thought is fantastic. You are already better prepared than a lot of soon to be Daddies and I hope your wife knows how lucky she is to have such a supportive man like you. You'll take a LOT of the stress off of her come labor, delivery, recovery, and settling in, and THAT in itself is a gift.

I love the idea of a regional lullaby. My daughter's favorite song/lullaby is still the Irish Folk song, "Fields of Athenry," which is a little odd being that we're from Texas too.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
As the mom of two school age boys, the best piece of advice I can think of is don't forget to care for your marriage. A child needs parents who love each other as well as the child. If your marriage comes first, your child will grow up happy and emotionally secure. The next important bit of advice is to read http://freerangekids.wordpress.com/, subscribe to her blog and read the book. Learn to relax and let your child learn by exploring his world. "Protecting" him from the world doesn't actually protect him, but rather stunts his ability to learn and think for himself. Congrats!

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
Firstly, congratulations! :eusa_clap

As a father of two boys, I have been there. Some random suggestion:

- get an iPhone, record video of him
- set up a gmail address for him
- email these videos to him
- email him notes so he can read it when he's older

Here's my first in my 30s McLaughlin (which is on my head as I type):

DSC00854.jpg

kyda

One of the Regulars
My Mum gave me some good advice when we had our first, she said " This is your child and nobody knows this child better than you. It does not matter what you try there will be people who will tell you that you are doing it right well you are doing the best for your child at this moment in time and do not let anybody make you feel guilty or make you feel bad about your decisions."

My advice is go with your gut, if it does not feel right then there is a reason for it and to relax, I know that is going to be hard but if you are stressed then the baby will be, just go with the flow if all else fails fake it till you make it - I have for the last 5 years and my two seem ok so far. Have fun and enjoy it, that first smile melts your heart and so does the first sigh when they are snuggled up in your arms.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran