Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So trivial, yet it really ticks you off.

ChiTownScion

Call Me a Cab
A point of annoyance: being asked to remove my shoes when I go to somebody's house. Really? You invite a person into your home then you ask them to take off an article of clothing. That's how you treat a guest?

My sister in law and her then-husband used to pull that crap on us when we visited. Not just when it was wet outside, but all of the time. Thing is, their house at the time was a crummy little hovel (since razed for their McMansion) and I think that any dirt tracked in would have actually improved the décor.

The funny part was that when sister in law and second husband acquired a really showcase designer home that even featured an indoor basketball half court, they were never into the anal shoe removal schtick. Go figure, huh?

Your outdoor-shoes have to be undressed, before passing my door, full stop! :D

I'm not a german hospital, where everyone can walk all around with his grubby shoes and dispense his dirt! Urgh... ;)

Yes, removing one's shoes indoors is the norm in many cultures. But this isn't one of those cultures.

Hence, the message received by those asked to remove their shoes is that "my floors are more important than my visitors' comfort," even when that isn't the message intended. So yeah, it rubs people the wrong way.

Where I grew up, the floor was meant to be trod upon. We didn't eat off of it. It was considered the height of rudeness to ask someone to take off their shoes, or put down a plastic liner on their chair, or anything else that suggested that said guest would somehow deface your property by their presence. It was just as rude and insulting to actually take your shoes off in someone's house, as if 1) it were your house, and 2) you were under the delusion that your nasty bare feet were clean enough to rub on someone else's things.

If you were to ask me to remove my shoes upon entering your house, I'd have to respectfully decline your invitation inside.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I've never been in a person's house around here where you didn't take your street shoes off. Signaled by the pile of shoes by the door. And I only know a few Asian families (but those families tend to leave their shoes outside their home on a porch or in the hall).

You all would have given my grandmother a heart attack getting dirt and grease and road salt all over her immaculate floors.

But to note, we do have 4 seasons here and a lot of mud. And a lot of people work in industries where you don't want to wear your work shoes inside.

If I'm wearing stockings I bring a clean pair of shoes with me when I go to someone's house and I keep a pair of clean sneakers in my car.

Inkstainedwretch

One Too Many
I was raised largely in south Texas. There, guests come in by the front door and didn't remove their shoes. But you, and your kin and your filthy kids came in by the back door, where you entered the "mud room,"there, you removed your mucky boots and went on in. the first room you came to was always the kitchen where your mom or grandma or aunt would whop you over the head with a cooking spoon if you hadn't followed protocol. This was farm-and-ranch country, of course.

swanson_eyes

Practically Family
I have a shoe basket by the door with a carpet in front. I don't want to track dirt/bacteria/salt/mud in on my carpet, since I am not physically able to shampoo it as often as I'd like to. That said, I never ask visitors to remove their shoes. Sometimes they are nice and ask if I want them to do so and I always decline the offer because they are my guests. I think it's nice of them to offer.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
When I visit friends in the city for special occasions,
I wear my favorite dress shoes.
And because they are my favorite shoes,
I take care not to get them dirty. If it’s raining,
I wear rain boots & leave them at the front door & slip on my shoes.

When I visit friends on the ranch I wear my boots
which I don’t mind if they get mud or something worse. ;)
I take them off at the front door & put on my favorite
shoes before I go inside.

Last edited:
In the last 20 years of knowing the great US-comedy-series, I always wondered, that all these families come home and walk with their streetshoes all around in the whole house. o_Oo_Oo_O

Didn't the producers want to show shoe-undressing or was it saving time and money?? ;)

Last edited:

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
In the last 20 years of knowing the great US-comedy-series, I always wondered, that all these families come home and walk with their streetshoes all around in the whole house.

Didn't the producers want to show shoe-undressing or was it saving time and money?? ;)

Unless it’s vital to the plot, otherwise it would only add confusion to the story.
Going to the bathroom & other things that people normally do when they
come home. If it serves a purpose to the scene, it would be included.
It would be a waste of time & money for the producers to show these things
for no specific reason.

Or it could be that it’s a “US-comedy-series” & walking all around the whole
house in their streetshoes is considered funny. ;)

Last edited:
Mr. Rogers is the only person I've ever seen on TV who changed his shoes.

Often when I get home from work the boots come off in favor of a pair of sneakers, but it has everything to do with my feet are killing me from being on them all day and nothing to do with any sense of sanitariness. The kids and the dog are in and out the door all day long, and they make a much bigger mess with no shoes on than I can with.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

Unless it’s vital to the plot, otherwise it would only add confusion to the story.
Going to the bathroom & other things that people normally do when they
come home. If it serves a purpose to the scene, it would be included.
It would be a waste of time & money for the producers to show these things
for no specific reason.

Or it could be that it’s a “US-comedy-series” & walking all around the whole
house in their streetshoes is considered funny. ;)

Of course it all makes sense - they have 22 minutes - everything not-relevant or mundane is eliminated. That said, the unlocked NYC apartment door drives me crazy as no one I know in three decades of city living leaves their apartment door unlocked. I get that on TV it would create a bunch of wasted time and movement for a sitcom to show someone knocking, someone going over to open the door, etc., but it is so unrealistic to think that a NYC apartment door is left open that it just drive me crazy.

Couple of peeves ...

Empty ice cube trays returned to the freezer. Grrrr ...

Empty clothes hangers left mixed in with hangers bearing garments. I habitually put the empty hangers to one side, for wholly practical reasons. Sure does make it easier to put garments in some semblance of order.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael