Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So trivial, yet it really ticks you off.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
I used to own a fleet of Mercedes Sprinter vans, before retirement. Those vans had no problem keeping up with traffic speeds, yet you will always get the idiot, who just has to get in front of the van. They will risk life and limb to do so. Morons.

I know how you feel. I have a Tacoma, my Toy Taco. I will be tooling down the highway, when I have to pass a Dodge Ram, (always seems to be one of them,) a few miles later, they always come barreling around me. I don't mind, except, a few miles down the road, there they are, puttering along, and I have to pass them all over again!

Tell me about it, a young lady, working in one of our leading supermarkets, told me that she was sure that they didn't have a delicatessen department. She honestly didn't know that deli was short for delicatessen.
I got my Godson going on those text speak abbreviations. In a text he sent me he added: BTW, I text back asking if it meant bring the wheelchair. He text back the word: "rolf" I was tempted to text wtf, but that would give away that I wasn't totally ignorant of text acronyms. So I text: "rolf?" He sent me the translation. I text back that he had forgot: "cgua." His turn to be confused. "Forgot cuga?" He asked. I replied: "rolf-cgua." Which as every geriatric will tell you means: Roll over laughing on the floor, can't get up again."

Here is something I just learned in the last month or so about delicatessens.

Apparently, when the Jewish immigrants came to the US in the later part of the 19th Century, owing to their dietary rules, they had two types of food stores: one was a delicatessen that sold meats and one was an "appetizer" store that sold dairy and seafood products. This is because their dietary laws say you have to prepare and, even, eat the two foods separately and use separate dishes.

While most of the "appetizer" stores have long since closed (although there still is one famous one - "Russ and Daughters" - in NYC - it was in an article about that store that I learned all this), the delicatessens have morphed into the meat-oriented (but many now also have dairy and seafood as well) stores we know today. In the NY region, while most these stores still have a Jewish vibe - most no longer follow the strict dietary laws.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
This is because their dietary laws say you have to prepare and, even, eat the two foods separately and use separate dishes.
Separate everything, including cutlery and cooking pots & pans, and even ovens. We've been friends with a Jewish couple for over forty years, they laugh, even mock their dietary laws. They argue that it's impossible to be strict to every Jewish Law, adding: "A bacon sandwich I can go without, but lobster thermidore, that's taking things too far."
Of the things that are in the waters, you may eat anything that has fins and scales. Lev. 11:9; Deut. 14:9. Thus, shellfish such as lobsters, oysters, shrimp, clams and crabs are all forbidden. Fish like tuna, carp, salmon and herring are all permitted.
Click on that link, I can quite understand our friend's dilemma.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Here is something I just learned in the last month or so about delicatessens.

Apparently, when the Jewish immigrants came to the US in the later part of the 19th Century, owing to their dietary rules, they had two types of food stores: one was a delicatessen that sold meats and one was an "appetizer" store that sold dairy and seafood products. This is because their dietary laws say you have to prepare and, even, eat the two foods separately and use separate dishes.

"You shall not seethe a kid in its mother's milk." That's actually a wonderfully humane law, whatever inconvenience it might cause. Even though I love cheeseburgers.

"You shall not seethe a kid in its mother's milk." That's actually a wonderfully humane law, whatever inconvenience it might cause. Even though I love cheeseburgers.

"That's actually a wonderfully humane law..." I'm not sure I understand this - but since it is Lizzie, I know I'm just missing something smart.

And away from that, yes, by all means, follow whatever tradition or religion you wish and I will respect and defend your right to do so, as long as I, personally, can eat my cheeseburger.

And to GHT, living in NYC, I have met many who call themselves cultural more than religious Jewish people. They follow the "rules" as they feel they fits them - for example, I worked with a guy whose family followed all the rules when in their home, but when they went out to eat, did whatever they wanted. To them, being Jewish was more a cultural thing than a philosophical / religious thing. Whatever works for them makes sense to me.

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Humane in that it shows a deep regard for the "beinghood" of animals, which is something far above the usual sense of animals as being just something consumable for man's benefit. Jewish law is full of things like this -- the whole idea of pouring out the blood of a slaughtered animal and covering it with earth is another example, meaning to teach Israel that while man might make use of animal bodies as food or for clothing, the *life* of those animals stems from and belongs to God -- and not to man, ever, to be wasted or abused for no useful purpose. I admire and deeply respect any people who live by such a law.

Humane in that it shows a deep regard for the "beinghood" of animals, which is something far above the usual sense of animals as being just something consumable for man's benefit. Jewish law is full of things like this -- the whole idea of pouring out the blood of a slaughtered animal and covering it with earth is another example, meaning to teach Israel that while man might make use of animal bodies as food or for clothing, the *life* of those animals stems from and belongs to God -- and not to man, ever, to be wasted or abused for no useful purpose. I admire and deeply respect any people who live by such a law.

As noted in my prior post, I knew I was missing something smart if you posted it. And yes, incredibly forward thinking and balanced.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
I bought a 73 BMW R75/5, so I am checking out some of the videos on line for maintenance. Some great stuff, however, why do so many men feel if they are doing a motorcycle related video, that they have to drop the F-bomb every other word! It gets old, and adds nothing to an otherwise great video.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Some great stuff, however, why do so many men feel if they are doing a motorcycle related video, that they have to drop the F-bomb every other word!
Because they can. I once told someone who used the F-bomb almost every other word, that English is so eloquent because we have a mix of indigenous Gaelic, with added Norse and Saxon. Latin from the Romans, Normandy French and a guy called Shakespeare who put it all into a melting pot.
He looked at me and said: "What the **** are you on about?"

Retro Spectator

Practically Family
I personally loath those ugly light covers on new cars. Under the covers are nice looking round lights, but with the cover, the lights appear to be hideous polygonal shapes.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I could do without the piercingly bright halogen bulbs inside those lamp covers too, especially when they burn in the daylight. I fail to see how causing other drivers to see spots from the brightness of your headlights is in anyway conducive to "safety." Bring back sealed beams.

pawineguy

One Too Many
I could do without the piercingly bright halogen bulbs inside those lamp covers too, especially when they burn in the daylight. I fail to see how causing other drivers to see spots from the brightness of your headlights is in anyway conducive to "safety." Bring back sealed beams.

The new LED headlights which are popping up on so many new cars, will be a big shock to many car owners in the future. One of those LED strips went out on mine. It was covered under warranty. Otherwise, the entire headlight has to be replaced to the tune of $1700.

pawineguy

One Too Many
Yet another reason why I've never owned a car built in the 21st Century. I give the mechanics enough work keeping the Plodge on the road, but I can replace a headlight on it for less than ten dollars.

Luckily, the actual headlight bulb CAN be replaced, but it takes about an hour at the dealer. It's ridiculous.

pawineguy

One Too Many
The primary consideration of modern automotive design is to provide contnuous employment for mechanics.

Agreed, in the state of PA, the automotive industry estimates that they need 10,000 more mechanics currently. All the dealers in my area have long wait times for service. It's about the best trade a young person could enter right now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
8panelnewsboy